Bike Still Dies - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 26th, 2010, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Bike Still Dies

I had some help here last year regarding my bike dying, but I'm still having problems. It just stalls out, then after about an hour it will start and run fine for a while. I am mechanically challenged and have had the bike to the dealer three times to the tune of over $1,200 and the problem persists. At the end of last season the dealer had ordered a replacement sensor that I was waiting for but they never called. The dealer didn't seem to have a clue and whenever I took the bike in it was running fine so nothing appeared on their diagnostic tests.

This season the problem seemed to get worse - the first three times out I couldn't get more than 6 miles without the bike dying. Finally, I took my hand at the canisterectomy. Upon completion the bike seemed fixed! I took it for a hundred-mile ride with no problems. Then several days later, same problem, it died, then after a "rest" it seemed to be fine. I have not heard the "whoosh" when I open the gas tank, but there was one time when I did open the gas tank while I was stalled and the bike started up right away, that was before the canisterectomy.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1999 Basalt Grey Custom
Graduated from my vintage (aka old) Suzuki GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 26th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Re: Bike Still Dies

Seems like you're on the right track: fuel.
Could be something like a bad pump, plugged filter, or maybe a kinked line.
Can you hear the pump running after it dies? If not, maybe pump. If so, maybe lines and/or filter.
post #3 of 10 Old May 26th, 2010, 7:36 pm

The LT has a rollover valve on the fuel tank vent, ...... there could be a problem there.
Maybee you could leave the gas cap a little loose so it will vent, take a ride & see what happens.

post #4 of 10 Old May 26th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

The vent line from the tank may have gotten plugged by accident (dirt ,Pinched in routing it from the canister) Try to blow in the end of the line back to the tank & see if it flows freely

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 10 Old May 26th, 2010, 8:21 pm

I'm with Steve.. Plugged pr pinched vent line..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old May 26th, 2010, 10:28 pm

+3 on clogged vent line. Cheap enough fix and even if the line is partially blocked it's eventually going to die with enough vacuum...once vacuum becomes nuetral...varoooom.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #7 of 10 Old May 28th, 2010, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions. I've blown in the vent line and it does seem clear. And I've ridden with the gas cap loose, and still the problem. Since the canisterectomy the problem seems to occur when I'm getting low on fuel, just before the low fuel light comes on. Would the clogged vent line problem become worse as the fuel level decreases? Again, I'm not mechanically inclined at all - performing the canisterectomy was a major feat for me. I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

1999 Basalt Grey Custom
Graduated from my vintage (aka old) Suzuki GS
post #8 of 10 Old May 28th, 2010, 1:00 pm

these are tough to debug...

any interruption in the fuel flow would cause that.

Have you replaced the fuel filter? are the "quick disconnects" fully seated?

Does the pump run? have you reseated the fuel pump fuse?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 10 Old May 28th, 2010, 3:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You'll need to check it for spark when it isn't running. My guess is you had two overlapping problems, a clogged cannister and now perhaps the hall coil is going bad. Many times the bad coil will stop working when it gets warm and start again when it cools down. That's why you need to check for spark when it's dead.
post #10 of 10 Old May 28th, 2010, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDavid
Since the canisterectomy the problem seems to occur when I'm getting low on fuel, just before the low fuel light comes on.
If the problem happens now with the bike low on fuel I would fill up at half a tank for three or four times. If it doesn't fail then you may have a bent pickup tube. If there is enough vacuum to stop the flow of fuel it would have collapsed the tank as the tank is just a big plastic balloon. When the tank collapsed it could have possibly bent the pickup tube.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in