Replace chrome rocker panel moulding with black? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Axle
  • 1 Post By mjordans2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 26th, 2010, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Replace chrome rocker panel moulding with black?

Hello Everyone,
I'm wanted to get the opinions of others. I need to replace my chrome rocker panel moulding (don't ask why ). These are the chrome mouldings on the side bags. I was thinking about replacing them with the black moulding instead of the chrome since the black ones are much less expensive. I intend to keep this bike a while so I'll probably drop it again and the thought of replacing the chrome moulding at $124.00 a pop doesn't appeal to me. The black ones are about $24.00

Am I being too cheap here? Has anyone else did the same. I want to maintain the integrity of the bike but I'm having a hard time justifying the chrome mouldings over the black ones. I just don't think it'll make that much difference to the look of the bike. Any thoughts, recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank Carroll
Cumming, Georgia

2003 K1200LT
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 26th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Garage
Re: Replace chrome rocker panel moulding with black?

hey Frank sounds like you have already made your decision, take off the damaged one and paint it black stand back and have a look, mines been down now about 15 times I just dont worry about it any more a little embarressed yes,, life goes on, probably happen again,,, but only after you replace it
jeannot likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; May 26th, 2010 at 7:21 pm.
post #3 of 20 Old May 26th, 2010, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Linton,
Good suggestion on the paint. I'll give it a try. On making up my mind, I'm about 70/30 on replacing the chrome. Decisions, decisions...

Frank Carroll
Cumming, Georgia

2003 K1200LT

post #4 of 20 Old May 26th, 2010, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

This site is great! I found another thread on the same subject and the recommendation was made for this product:

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddeta...d=060_SCT&cat=3

I just ordered a pair. This way I can keep the look of the chrome and get the protection of the vinyl strips.

Frank Carroll
Cumming, Georgia

2003 K1200LT
post #5 of 20 Old May 26th, 2010, 8:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I never think about dropping the LT. Just the opposite - if I had the $ - I would have a custom paint job done on her. I'm a big believer in self fulfilling prophecies. Yes I know it's a possibility and have the dropped her a few times due to dumb mistakes on my part Do what makes you feel comfortable. I have a few scratches on the topcase and drives me nuts just knowing they are there. Temp fix is to ride more often because I can't see them when I'm riding.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory Ė Growing Up is Optional
post #6 of 20 Old May 26th, 2010, 8:44 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I've been thinking about covering my scratches with reflective tape.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old May 26th, 2010, 10:50 pm

I ended up buying a roll of chrome wheel well moulding from a local body shop supplier and cutting appropriate size pieces to fit on the side bag chrome. It looks good and you don't notice the add on. If you drop the bike, a common occurance with the LT, you can easily tear off the damaged chrome piece, and put on a new one. The moulding comes in a 20' length and sells for about $22.00. That will give you enough chrome moulding to do the side bags and the mirrors too. The moulding is called prostripe or Cowles Protekto trim...part #37-1550 or M855005. 5/8" dish wheel well kit.
Cheers,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06bmw5.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	27532  

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #8 of 20 Old May 26th, 2010, 11:03 pm
cws

Garage

that bike's way too shiny clean..

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 20 Old May 27th, 2010, 6:51 am

The only thing worse than real chrome is the fake plastic crap that BMW puts all of these bikes for the US market. Frankly, I find it to be pretty embarrassing. JM2C
post #10 of 20 Old May 27th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
The only thing worse than real chrome is the fake plastic crap that BMW puts all of these bikes for the US market. Frankly, I find it to be pretty embarrassing. JM2C
Hey, chrome won't get ya home... but it sure looks good!

2003 Black
K1200LTC

Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #11 of 20 Old May 27th, 2010, 8:36 pm
ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead354
Hello Everyone,
I'm wanted to get the opinions of others. I need to replace my chrome rocker panel moulding (don't ask why ). These are the chrome mouldings on the side bags. I was thinking about replacing them with the black moulding instead of the chrome since the black ones are much less expensive. I intend to keep this bike a while so I'll probably drop it again and the thought of replacing the chrome moulding at $124.00 a pop doesn't appeal to me. The black ones are about $24.00

Am I being too cheap here? Has anyone else did the same. I want to maintain the integrity of the bike but I'm having a hard time justifying the chrome mouldings over the black ones. I just don't think it'll make that much difference to the look of the bike. Any thoughts, recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hasn't anyone told you the only thing cheap about a BMW is its owner.

When I damaged the chrome on the bags of my '05 LT I removed both mouldings, peeled all the chrome off, painted the mouldings a dark charcoal metallic, installed the aftermarket plastic strips, and installed a series of red LED lights in each moulding that worked with the L & R signal lights to give better visibility, especially for lane changes. I was able to proudly hold true to the cheap owner thing AND be original at the same time.

It has been about 3 years since I did this, It has gone to sleep (bad habit) on me a few times since. Everything still looks good.

Austin

2005 LT Ocean Blue
2006 Bushtec Roadstar Ocean Blue
2005 R1200GS Black
2010 Piaggio MP3 400 Midnight Blue (Marsha's ride)
post #12 of 20 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

There're some really good (and creative) solutions here. Thanks all for the input . These are the kind of suggestions I was looking for. I agree about the cheap chrome. I love the fact that BMW put the forethought into the addition of these moulding strips in case of a drop. However, why use cheap plastic chrome as a covering? Why not just go with a replaceable vinyl moulding strip in the first place?

Frank Carroll
Cumming, Georgia

2003 K1200LT
post #13 of 20 Old May 27th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Where are all the pics of these great ideas like gladiator99 provided....come on....share 'em!!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #14 of 20 Old May 27th, 2010, 11:23 pm

If you're happy with what you're doing that's great. Personally, I like the BMR solution. Not only does it look good but it is a replaceable vinyl strip that has enough thickness to help protect the bike from the next oopsy. Just stick right on top of the damaged chrome.
cbpip likes this.
post #15 of 20 Old Feb 11th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Here is the link for Gladiator99's suggestion. You can order 20, 50 or 100 feet lengths directly from them

ProtektoTrim, Wheel Well Molding, 5/8" Dish Style*| Cowles Products
post #16 of 20 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 7:05 am

My bike came with black covers on the tip over wings.
(first time I've heard the term "rocker panel" used for the side cases).

I like the black. Mine have scratches and such from many drops over the years, but still look fine. But then, I'm the sort of guy who doesn't wash the bikes.

I'm reminded of Grif's comment years ago who said he thought all the fake chrome on the
"custom" models made the bike look like a "tarted-up hussy".

Grif dropped out of this site long ago; he sure did add some colorful comments here, I miss that.
post #17 of 20 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 9:07 am

Didn't you know that BMW engineers and designers are taught to either over design and complicate or under design and cheapen both to the point where you get totally frustrated and think W T F were they thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead354 View Post
There're some really good (and creative) solutions here. Thanks all for the input . These are the kind of suggestions I was looking for. I agree about the cheap chrome. I love the fact that BMW put the forethought into the addition of these moulding strips in case of a drop. However, why use cheap plastic chrome as a covering? Why not just go with a replaceable vinyl moulding strip in the first place?
post #18 of 20 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 2:50 pm

My bike is an LTC in Anthracite . It Came with all the chrome trim. Well the Previous Owner dropped her on the right side(there are scuffs on the lower right saddlebag). Anyways. He painted or coated the trim on the bags black ,cause he most likely damaged the right one. I think it looks great. I left it black. I am not changing them to chrome.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #19 of 20 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Every day!!!!!! W T F were they thinking!
post #20 of 20 Old Feb 14th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Pictures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in