centerstand Maintenance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:36 am Thread Starter

Red face centerstand Maintenance

I looked in the hall of wisdom and did a search on the forums, but nothing came up.

Today i went to place my 05LT on it's elec.centerstand and it started to drag half way up, then dropped off the stand. Tried it again, and nothing happend.. Press it again and it started dragging again.. I'm new to the LT's only had it for 6 months, but is there any maintenance i should do to it??? I looked in the Clymer book, but didn't find much ..

Any help would be great!!
Thanks in advance!!!!

Jack Bland III

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 BMW K1200LT
1993 Honda CBR900RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 26th, 2010, 2:02 am
Super Moderator

Re: centerstand Maintenance

There are links to extensive maintenance repair and upkeep for the center stand here by the infamous - Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ic+centerstand

Good luck!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 5 Old May 26th, 2010, 7:44 am
cws

Garage

Jack, looks like you have a rebuild ahead of you to get clean oil in the unit and maybe a new motor (only $50)!... Set aside a weekend, and read this thread to prepare yourself.
It covers all the tears, fears and frustrations of doing the rebuild, but in the end its not really that hard once you've waded through it, and you'll be very glad you did it now instead of waiting till everything jams up too much.
You only need to remove RH lower panel, everything can be easily accessed with the bike on the centrestand. I wound up riding the rear wheel onto a 50mm thick (but 200mm wide) timber to get the stand down (with some help of the bike being held on both sides while pulling back and holding the stand down with my foot.) and the bike was very stable resting just on both wheels and the centre stand.
And once the panel is off, you only have about 5 bolts and a power plug to undo to get the EHCS unit out of the bike to pull apart (assuming you dont touch the centre stand bolts itself... which isn't necessary)
Both Ari & JoeGotteberg's instructions are invaluable.. read them carefully.
Happy to help with any other advice, having very recently done it myself.
A happy 05 stand user! click
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 5 Old May 26th, 2010, 9:40 am

Someone else had replaced the brake lights with LED's.. and a "flasher" ... one of those failed and the HCS started failing just like you describe.

Check your lights.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 5 Old May 26th, 2010, 3:51 pm

Jack,

although a full rebuild of EHC unit is recommended especially at the age of your bike, you could still try some simpler things at first. Even I attacked the EHC unit trying to fix my intermittently working unit but the problem was actually elsewhere.

Make sure your clutch and hand brake lever micro switches work properly. I had a problem with my hand brake switch. It occasionally kept the brake light on even if I did not touch the brake and thus prevented the EHC from working. It is hard to notice if your brake lights are on by themselves, you need a helper or a dark night to detect that. ( I finally got fed up with my unreliable micro switch that I added a signal light in my dash that tells me when my brake lights are on, if the brake lights stay on I simply push the hand brake outwards or give it a small jerk and this works.)

In the clutch lever there is also a micro swicth for disconnecting the cruise control and if this is activated you will get the same result. (Of course you would notice the malfuntion of this switch from your cruise not behaving normally.)

So check these before you start tearing your EHC unit apart athough changing the hydraulic oil should be well due by now...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in