Windscreen cracked!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:04 am Thread Starter
Sit

Windscreen cracked!!

Okay, the back story. My LT is the 3rd BMW I have had, all have had windscreens and I have never had a problem taking them off and putting them on. I am aware not to over tighten the dam screws. So a week or so ago, I took the side panels and nose off of the LT and of course the windscreen in order to clean up some lighting issues. I have had the windscreen off before and had no issues. This time I put it back on and read that a tiny touch of threadlock is good for the screws, but not the screen. So on goes a tiny drop of the blue stuff and I shake the screws before putting them in making sure not to get it on the screen. Snug up the screws a bit at a time evenly as to not stress the screen in any one direction and finally snug them up but did not crank the things down.

Got the bike back together, all was good. Parked it back in its spot and it has sat there since then, over a week now, has not been out on the road. Got home today and plan on riding to work tomorrow, so thought I should check the bike to see if it has gas. As I walk by the bike, I notice a small crack coming out from under the "chrome" cover thing. WTF? Hmm, its small oh well, shame on me. Go in the house, put my stuff away and go back to the bike to take it for gas. Start the bike and jump on and notice every screw has a crack coming from it!!

So what say the masses? Do I just not know my own strength or did the threadlock migrate up the threads and affect the screen? Oh, it is a BMW shourt Euro screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:08 am

Re: Windscreen cracked!!

No way.

BMW OEM is polycarbonate. Impossible to crack. You've got an aftermarket POS acrylic - guaranteed.

It may LOOK OEM...

Maybe a stress fracture from over tightening - but a crack ain't gonna' happen. Did you ever notice the little rubber half moon bushings between the windshield and clamps. ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 26th, 2010 at 12:14 am.
post #3 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:13 am

Hate it happened to you, but this serves as a reminder to me as I get to put on a new tinted windshield in the morning not to overtighten the screws.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:14 am Thread Starter
Sit

Nothing is impossible. The screen has the roundel on it and part number for the euro screen.

The rubber doo dads were there unless they fell off while I was messing with the front end. Thinking that may be it, wonder if they dropped off or were never there. I am finding a number of odd little things with the bike that previous services or owner did not get back together properly, oh ok, me too.
post #5 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
Hate it happened to you, but this serves as a reminder to me as I get to put on a new tinted windshield in the morning not to overtighten the screws.
If you are putting on a tinted windshield you are asking for trouble, Only acrylic can be tinted. Very dangerous - send it back.

Acrylic can literally shatter into dagger like shards of plastic...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
Nothing is impossible. The screen has the roundel on it and part number for the euro screen.

The rubber doo dads were there unless they fell off while I was messing with the front end.
So, you are telling me that there are cracks that permeate the plastic from side to side - not jut surface "crazing" ?

Like I said, impossible.

BTW, the rubber "doo dads" are important. Maybe BMW engineers just put them them there for the hell of it.

If you torqued them down properly there isn't a chance in hell that you have a through crack. Never happened before in the history of this forum...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:29 am

Thanks for the advice Ron. I will keep that in mind. I don't think ceebaileys will refund my $ for the shield though. So I will just have to be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
If you are putting on a tinted windshield you are asking for trouble, Only acrylic can be tinted. Very dangerous - send it back.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #8 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:36 am Thread Starter
Sit

If it was not late, I could take a photo, there is even a chunk missing from the lower right mounting hole. So much for the indestructible BMW screen. Doubt me if you will, but it is a BMW screen and is cracked through and through.

The whole purpose of me posting this was to learn, like about the doo-dads, will make sure they are there, as I too am sure the engineers did design them to by used. And since a combined knowledge is better than individual, I thought maybe the thread lock may have done it too by weakening the screen.
post #9 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 1:05 am

If you pick up some rubber washers, they will work fine in place of your missing doo-dads

post #10 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 4:58 am
Enjoy The Ride

My stock OEM BMW windscreen is cracked at three of the four holes because the rubber washers were missing. The only hole that is not cracked is the one that had the rubber washer.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #11 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 9:08 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

BMW must have changed materials then.

As a 20 year glazier in my former life I know polycarbonate and for a fact it will not run!!!!!!! That is what we call a crack on glass or plastic. Poly will not or can not do this so the material must not be Poly, there is no other choice.

I don't even know anything you can put on it to cause it to brittle. You can stain it or yellow it with wrong cleaners and such but never seen it brittle.

We have fired 12 gauge shotguns at 1/8"-1/4" and I know it's strength.

I am most interested in this as I run acrylic Cee Baileys have since the bike was new, never a problem. I have the high stock that came on the bike and was going to cut it down so I will know as soon as the blade hits it what it is.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 9:16 am Thread Starter
Sit

I do not know when this screen was added to the bike or if it came with the bike when purchased. It is marked BMW and checking the part number, it matches what BMW shows for the Euro screen.

Thanks for the heads up about the rubber washers instead of buying BMW. Was thinking rubber behind and if I can find very thin ones, put some in front also. Not that Im nervous now or anything.

Now the hunt for a new screen. Did find a company, in china I think, Zinged Manufacturing and Exports. They show they have a LT screen, 1/16 acrylic, that if you order now they throw in a tinted low summer screen for free!

May take the screen off tonight after a longer faster test ride to see if it worsens. When I take it off, I will post photos. If it does not worsen, will leave it on until my new Zinged screeen arrives.
post #13 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 10:12 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
I do not know when this screen was added to the bike or if it came with the bike when purchased. It is marked BMW and checking the part number, it matches what BMW shows for the Euro screen.

Thanks for the heads up about the rubber washers instead of buying BMW. Was thinking rubber behind and if I can find very thin ones, put some in front also. Not that Im nervous now or anything.

Now the hunt for a new screen. Did find a company, in china I think, Zinged Manufacturing and Exports. They show they have a LT screen, 1/16 acrylic, that if you order now they throw in a tinted low summer screen for free!

May take the screen off tonight after a longer faster test ride to see if it worsens. When I take it off, I will post photos. If it does not worsen, will leave it on until my new Zinged screen arrives.
If you have a glass shop local they have a solvent that works by capillary action and will actually draw into the cracks. You can walk it in and it would take like 5 minuets max. However it was made for acrylic and not sure it will work on poly. The other trick is take the smallest drill bit you have and drill a hole at the end of the crack and it will stop the run. Not sure of the aesthetics or if your silver covers will hide the repair.

I used a dab of silicon caulk into each hole to form the easily lost rubber setup from BMW. Silicon will not stick to any plastic as it does concrete and metal. It will stick but will easily come off or release with a bit of persuasion.

I think your solution is another shield to find perfection, but if you want to run the screen out some of what I offered may help. I buy the metal supports and a set of chrome covers as spares but have never needed them even with a bit of silicone mushed onto them when I remove them. Make sure you use pure silicon caulking not that latex crap, and even RT Gasket maker will work. You don't need a lot. I have had 3 windshields on my LT in 25,000 miles so I have a bit of experience on this.

You don't have to torque the screws through the roof either. Think about it you only want to hold it in place snug, wind pressure does the rest. And always tighten side to side in a cross pattern. Also take into account temperature inversion because all acrylic and poly will expand, With a curved product caution needs to be taken in this regard.

Hope I helped a bit.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; May 26th, 2010 at 11:07 am.
post #14 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 10:19 am

I have a BMW low Euro windscreen that came with the bike. I am 6'2" so the origional works fine for me. Euro screen is in very good condition and has no cracks. $125 if interested.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
post #15 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 11:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

I believe the damage Loctite causes is from the fumes created as it cures, not the liquid itself. Therefore using it no matter how carefully will weaken the plastic. They do make a stick solid which probably emits much less fumes. Also those holders only call for a few inch-pounds of torque. I only grab the short arm of the allen wrench when I torque mine.

Last edited by deanwoolsey; May 26th, 2010 at 12:20 pm.
post #16 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 11:49 am

Quote:

Most of the aftermarket windshields are acrylic and I for one prefer it to the BMW windshield in every way other than its lack of shatter resistance. I have seen Cee Bailey shields abused sufficiently for me to trust them. If I crash to the extent that my shield shatters, I have bigger problems.
post #17 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:14 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
Most of the aftermarket windshields are acrylic and I for one prefer it to the BMW windshield in every way other than its lack of shatter resistance. I have seen Cee Bailey shields abused sufficiently for me to trust them. If I crash to the extent that my shield shatters, I have bigger problems.
After all my searching on what shield to use this was what my final though process was.

I owned a Cee Bailey #2 -6, yes -6, before owning the bike!

Although I would love to have a poly screen I have never heard as many people use or rave about them as they do the Cee Bailey. Seems the shapes are not to a Cee Bailey and people have less satisfaction of them. A Poll would show that in a very quick time I would think.

Someone make me a Cee Bailey in poly and I am down for sure.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #18 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Quote:
The ONLY reason I would prefer acrylic over polycarbonate is that you can polish out fine scratches. If you're careful with polycarbonate you never even have to worry about fine scratches since they usually have a silicon coating that is impregnated into the surface.

As a Commercial Pilot it absolutely drives me nutz that Cee Bailey's uses their "aircraft plastics" logo to sell dangerous products to the average motorcycle consumer. If not downright fraudulent it is certainly "strategic misrepresentation" - a marketing term used by corporate liars and charlatans to justify huge profits.
The only reason they - and others - can get away with selling this garbage is that there are no Federal Motor Safety Vehicle Safety Standards for motorcycle windshields.

Acrylic windshields ARE used on aircraft - where they are designed to be supported and surrounded by a strong metal frame. Almost all of them are a composite layered with - you guessed it - polycarbonate!

BMW has been using polycarbonate since at least 1979 - my R80/7 has one... there must be a good reason they use it when they could use much cheaper acrylic.

Did you ever consider that if your windshield shattered it could cause you to crash?

ZTechnik windshield video

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #19 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Quote:
The ONLY reason I would prefer acrylic over polycarbonate is that you can polish out fine scratches. If you're careful with polycarbonate you never even have to worry about fine scratches since they usually have a silicon coating that is impregnated into the surface.

As a Commercial Pilot it absolutely drives me nutz that Cee Bailey's uses their "aircraft plastics" logo to sell dangerous products to the average motorcycle consumer. If not downright fraudulent it is certainly "strategic misrepresentation" - a marketing term used by corporate liars and charlatans to justify huge profits.
The only reason they - and others - can get away with selling this garbage is that there are no Federal Motor Safety Vehicle Safety Standards for motorcycle windshields.

Acrylic windshields ARE used on aircraft - where they are designed to be supported and surrounded by a strong metal frame. Almost all of them are a composite layered with - you guessed it - polycarbonate!

BMW has been using polycarbonate since at least 1979 - my R80/7 has one... there must be a good reason they use it when they could use much cheaper acrylic.

Did you ever consider that if your windshield shattered it could cause you to crash?

I have considered everything you have to say and simply do not agree that this is a big issue. Maybe we need to hear from people out there who have had bad experiences with Cee Bailey shields. That could change my mind. In the meantime, there are reasons that people flock to non oem shields when they own BMWs and not all have to do with price. Lack of selection and style along with fogging, scratching and the inability to resurface them have led many to believe that they can do better. I have seen the results of people testing shields with shotgun blasts, but I would find it more convincing if everyday rocks on the road were used in the tests and showed catastrophic damage.
post #20 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Quote:
I have considered everything you have to say and simply do not agree that this is a big issue. Maybe we need to hear from people out there who have had bad experiences with Cee Bailey shields. That could change my mind. In the meantime, there are reasons that people flock to non oem shields when they own BMWs and not all have to do with price. Lack of selection and style along with fogging, scratching and the inability to resurface them have led many to believe that they can do better. I have seen the results of people testing shields with shotgun blasts, but I would find it more convincing if everyday rocks on the road were used in the tests and showed catastrophic damage.
The video I included at the bottom of my post shows a large rock being thrown at both windshields - just about the same size as one that got stuck between the rear tires of my dually a couple of weeks ago. I was lucky it didn't come flying out at speed and nail someone behind me.

It was wedged in so hard I had to jack up the rear, deflate both tires and use a crow bar to pry it out!

I've tried many different windshields on my two LT's in 180K. For me the (polycarbonate) V-stream has been the best, hands down. No fogging like the BMW OEM has been known to do in humid climates and much more scratch resistant. I also have noticed that I'm not constantly fussing with the height adjustment all the time. It seems to have (for me anyway) a sweet spot.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #21 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 2:52 pm

So Ron, am I reading this right? That OEM windshield won't crack? I hate it when you beat around the bush. Just come right out and say what you're thinking!!!
post #22 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Quote:
The video I included at the bottom of my post shows a large rock being thrown at both windshields - just about the same size as one that got stuck between the rear tires of my dually a couple of weeks ago. I was lucky it didn't come flying out at speed and nail someone behind me.

It was wedged in so hard I had to jack up the rear, deflate both tires and use a crow bar to pry it out!

I've tried many different windshields on my two LT's in 180K. For me the (polycarbonate) V-stream has been the best, hands down. No fogging like the BMW OEM has been known to do in humid climates and much more scratch resistant. I also have noticed that I'm not constantly fussing with the height adjustment all the time. It seems to have (for me anyway) a sweet spot.
I have seen videos of staged situations demonstrating your point. Also read articles on this site supporting your point. I like Cee Bailey shields and trust mine in everyday situations as do many if not most of the people who have to replace their stock shields. This reminds me of the helmet debates. You have seen them; "buy a $100.00 helmet if you have a $100.00 head". Turns out that the data suggests that the more absorbent cheap poly helmets may be better for your head in a crash. None the less, I find the more comfortable and often more expensive helmets worth the risk.
post #23 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 7:05 pm Thread Starter
Sit

Thanks to all those that have replied. I would bet to some degree that it may have been the fumes from the lock tite since the screen did not crack when I installed it and managed to do this all by itself sitting alone in the garage.

I have already purchased a V Stream, because I like the looks and reviews for it, from the local shop and will put it on this weekend, with no lock tite and plenty of rubber washers. I may mess around with the old screen and cut it off below the holes to make a very short screen and see how it does like that for giggles.

So which do you guys prefer? Synthetic or dyno oil?
post #24 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Interesting. Chemicals can attack and crack PC

http://www.nhml.com/resources/2001/4...-thermoplastic

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #25 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Interesting. Chemicals can attack and crack PC

http://www.nhml.com/resources/2001/4...-thermoplastic
Excellent info - I've attached the chemicals that don't agree with polycarbonate - and the ingredients of loctite. While it has been a loooongg time since college chemistry I'll wager that there is some serious incompatibility going on here... The dimethacrylate (Super Glue) is especially curious - and a major ingredient by percentage of loctite.

...hence the possible source of the crack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC and chemicals.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	27530   Click image for larger version

Name:	loctite ingredients.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	27531  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #26 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I've seen this video before and am disappointed that the poly won't stop the 9mm. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #27 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 9:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
It is only a big issue if something of any size hits your windshield at any speed. Anything larger than a pebble or a small bird and which is traveling more than about 30 MPH will trash an acrylic shield. Hit a crow or, heaven forbid, a turkey at 40 MPH and you will be in a world of hurt with acrylic.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 9:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Excellent info - I've attached the chemicals that don't agree with polycarbonate - and the ingredients of loctite. While it has been a loooongg time since college chemistry I'll wager that there is some serious incompatibility going on here... The dimethacrylate (Super Glue) is especially curious - and a major ingredient by percentage of loctite.

...hence the possible source of the crack.
What crack? You said a crack wasn't possible! Make up your mind. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #29 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 9:53 pm

I agree with you about the Loctite. I put a set of Slipstreamer clear wind wings on a 1500 Goldwing. I was very meticulous about how I mounted them. In an effort to go 110%, I put a small dab of low strength loctite on the screws. The next day when I looked at them all of the holes were cracked and the pieces were ruined.

I never ever get loctite near windshields anymore. I have not heard of anyone else doing this until now.

I am quite sure now that the loctite is a no-no on windshields, and in case you are wondering, I was very careful not to get loctite directly on the plastic. It must be the fumes.

Spaghetti
post #30 of 58 Old May 26th, 2010, 11:21 pm Thread Starter
Sit

I would agree at this point that it must be the fumes, the unseen fumes. I too was anal about not getting it on the screen, figured it would discolor it or something. So after carefully putting it on, and putting screws in, I of course put on the covers that would have trapped any fumes against the screen. This would all explain why several days later the un-crackable screen is cracked.

So yes, lesson learned, no lock tite on screen screws. Just go with what is already on them from the factory. I guess it goes back to the old saying, don't believe everything you read, it mentions lock tite in the Clymer manual.
post #31 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 12:31 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Exclamation Re: Windscreen cracked!!

Quote:

BMW OEM is polycarbonate. Impossible to crack.
I barely over tightened my OEM polycarbonate shield and cracked the shit out of it.
A nice 3 inch crack went from the left screw holes to the center.
Fortunately I had it on there temporarily while I waited for my new C. B. to arrive.

The stock windshield was a piece of crap. Fogged all the time and was coming apart.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #32 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 3:09 am

I have used fibre washers for spacing the screen. Even with enthusiastic tightening, no problem at all. Just a bit fiddly to get them on the screws and hold everything in the right place. Oh yes, try not to have a screwdriver in your hand while the screen is being positioned.

Just pussin' through.
post #33 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
It is only a big issue if something of any size hits your windshield at any speed. Anything larger than a pebble or a small bird and which is traveling more than about 30 MPH will trash an acrylic shield. Hit a crow or, heaven forbid, a turkey at 40 MPH and you will be in a world of hurt with acrylic.
I am not going to say you are wrong. I am asking that anyone out there with a real road experience like the above chime in. I have had objects hit my CB shield with no effect. On the other hand, never a Turkey!
post #34 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:32 am

Quote:
What crack? You said a crack wasn't possible! Make up your mind. :-)
I have.

A BMW OEM windshield won't crack - unless you are doing modifications that are not needed.

If I only had a dollar for every mistake I've seen in Clymer manuals - they are the WORST.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #35 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
I barely over tightened my OEM polycarbonate shield and cracked the shit out of it.
A nice 3 inch crack went from the left screw holes to the center.
Fortunately I had it on there temporarily while I waited for my new C. B. to arrive.

The stock windshield was a piece of crap. Fogged all the time and was coming apart.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #36 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:37 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well you learn something new every day around here. It seems that a chemical can make Poly run, never seen it in my day but we never used locktite in the glazing industry.

So if that is the case then don't use locktite. Must be why new screws have it on already. Still can not see how such a small screw with a tiny drop of locktite would have enough excess to make fumes to break down poly but the science don't lie.

As Ron and I have tried to tell you you can drill a hole in polycarbonate and torque a bolt through it and it will actually flatten rather then break.

Good discussion with a great finding of this chemical reaction. Will never solve the poly acrylic debate on shields though

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #37 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:48 am

Quote:
I've seen this video before and am disappointed that the poly won't stop the 9mm. :-)
It did - it bounced off...

I've seen a demo piece of 1" Lexan brand poly with all sorts of stuff shot at it.

.45, 357, .38, 9mm, .223, and three 12 gauge slugs in a tight group. The tip of the .223 barely made it through and was poking out the other side by about 1/8". The slugs made impressive holes in the entry side and a bunch of cracks radiating out from each impact site, and also blew out a small melted piece from the rear - but were firmly trapped inside.

What was most impressive is that while the slug grouping pounded the hell out of it - it did not collapse or shatter.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #38 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Well you learn something new every day around here. It seems that a chemical can make Poly run, never seen it in my day but we never used locktite in the glazing industry.

So if that is the case then don't use locktite. Must be why new screws have it on already. Still can not see how such a small screw with a tiny drop of locktite would have enough excess to make fumes to break down poly but the science don't lie.

As Ron and I have tried to tell you you can drill a hole in polycarbonate and torque a bolt through it and it will actually flatten rather then break.

Good discussion with a great finding of this chemical reaction. Will never solve the poly acrylic debate on shields though
...also don't even THINK of peeing on your poly windshield!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #39 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 9:56 am

"The stock windshield was a piece of crap. Fogged all the time and was coming apart."

Maybe we should start a "Stock windshield is a POS registry"?

And then a "Stock main seals are CRAP registry"?

And, and, and - oh the possibilities!!!
post #40 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 10:25 pm

The video that Ron has is unbelievable! I wonder if a small bird would blow through an acrylic windscreen? I've hit two in the last two years and while they've made me duck and are loud - no damage to my OEM shield. I have been thinking about something different just for the SO who complains of buffeting and know now that I will be careful in my choice...
post #41 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
Sit

I know it is all in the wording, but I think we have shown a poly shield will crack, run, split, break, what ever without modification. Using locktite is not a modification to the shield, it is an environmental factor affecting the integrity of the poly, most likely weakening it, alllowing any stress the screen is under, that it may normally be able to withstand, to negatively affect the integrity of the poly.

As for photos, kind of hard to get ones with the screen on the bike, but at great risk to my own fingernails, I pulled off the chrome covers to take a few shots of mine. The cracks are hard to see, so I highlited the ones I could see in the photos with red. Note the right side actually has a chunk missing. And you can't tell in the photos, but the rubber doo-dads are still there.
post #42 of 58 Old May 27th, 2010, 11:57 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
sorry Ron.... no pictures. I tossed it before taking any pictures.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #43 of 58 Old May 28th, 2010, 10:04 am

from Ceebailey.

A calibrated torque wrench in INCH POUNDS is required for proper installation. For well nut applications tighten to 5-8 inch pounds. All other applications tighten between 15-18 inch pounds.
Over torquing of the windshield may cause Stress cracks in the windshield.

post #44 of 58 Old May 28th, 2010, 11:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you look at the Loctite MSDS, two of the primary ingredients are Sacharin and Super Glue. I'm surprised you can but it in California without a hazmat license..

post #45 of 58 Old May 28th, 2010, 11:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE= I'm surprised you can but it in California without a hazmat license..

Not only can we get it here, we have our medical cards and are allowed to smoke it.
post #46 of 58 Old May 28th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
from Ceebailey.

A calibrated torque wrench in INCH POUNDS is required for proper installation. For well nut applications tighten to 5-8 inch pounds. All other applications tighten between 15-18 inch pounds.
Over torquing of the windshield may cause Stress cracks in the windshield.
Oh man - talk about CYA.....

I wonder how many guys own a very special torque wrench with values that low - AND are spot on accurate. I own one - and it's a good one too.

I think I've used it maybe two times in the ten years I've owned it!

I can just hear the phone call:

"Hello"

"Hi, yeah my new windshield cracked, I'm not very happy about it"

"Well, did you torque it to exactly 15 to 18 inch pounds as mentioned in our FAQ's?"

"Umm, no."

"Thank you for calling customer service, have a nice day."

CLICK.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #47 of 58 Old May 28th, 2010, 12:56 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
I know it is all in the wording, but I think we have shown a poly shield will crack, run, split, break, what ever without modification. Using locktite is not a modification to the shield, it is an environmental factor affecting the integrity of the poly, most likely weakening it, alllowing any stress the screen is under, that it may normally be able to withstand, to negatively affect the integrity of the poly.

As for photos, kind of hard to get ones with the screen on the bike, but at great risk to my own fingernails, I pulled off the chrome covers to take a few shots of mine. The cracks are hard to see, so I highlited the ones I could see in the photos with red. Note the right side actually has a chunk missing. And you can't tell in the photos, but the rubber doo-dads are still there.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words and this one is for sure.

I have never seen Lexan or PC of any kind loose a chunk. I have lost chunks, but never seen a chunk from PC from a run or pressure. Now I played up to 3/8" but most of our applications were 1/4"- 1/8". If you cover like a 3 window door with 1/8" Lexan and have a deal bolt on it, they will need to bring most of the door down to get in.

One of two things, it is not PC or Lexan, or it has been attacked by the LockTite.

I still am skeptical on the locktite but after you get a new one how about drilling a hole up in the middle somewhere, put a piece of duct tape on one side, lay it down and put a drop of locktite in it and see what happens?

At any rate you need a new shield and I hope you enjoy it. I use the CB #2 -6 and love it. It has taken some hits from stones and such at highway speeds and has held. A bird probably, but a big Pheasant, Crow, Turkey Vulture, or whatever large birds are in your area, probably not. I have had some close calls, but most of those from birds are side on from my experience.

At any rate my face shield is PC and if I hit a large bird at 70-80 MPH probably my concern is going to be on accessing staying up right, correcting, or getting ready to bail.

Weather my shield holds or not, that unexpected impact would be the true issue for me.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #48 of 58 Old May 28th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Lee, I have to agree with the locktite's capability to destroy 'plastic'. My son-in-law ruined a fairing piece on the V-Strom using locktite. There really was no question about what caused the damage.
As far as bird strikes, I took a Robin in the chest at 60 (HD, no windshield), with no problem. Took a Vulture at lower speed, hurt it more that it did me. I was surprised.
post #49 of 58 Old May 28th, 2010, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
Sit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
I still am skeptical on the locktite but after you get a new one how about drilling a hole up in the middle somewhere, put a piece of duct tape on one side, lay it down and put a drop of locktite in it and see what happens?
That is a great idea. I may try to trim off the lower part of the shield and reshape the remaining parts to make a very small screen just for giggles. Whether I do that or not, I should have plenty to play with. Was thinking to go one better, drill two holes, but screw through one and tighten into a nut or wood or something, in the other hole same thing, but put a bit of locktite on it and tighten. If I have read various links correctly, it was most likely not the locktite itself, but the locktite and slight pressure on the screen, so I will try to create that again with a control next to it to see if I get a run.
post #50 of 58 Old May 29th, 2010, 10:08 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
That is a great idea. I may try to trim off the lower part of the shield and reshape the remaining parts to make a very small screen just for giggles. Whether I do that or not, I should have plenty to play with. Was thinking to go one better, drill two holes, but screw through one and tighten into a nut or wood or something, in the other hole same thing, but put a bit of locktite on it and tighten. If I have read various links correctly, it was most likely not the locktite itself, but the locktite and slight pressure on the screen, so I will try to create that again with a control next to it to see if I get a run.
Great you are as curious as I am on this. I mean when you read information on interactions it makes sense but who would have thought?

As I said I have had a bunch of CB screens on my bike. from -2 to -6, clear, and blue tint, and yes including some mistakes on their part. One thing I can say in all the years I have dealt with them they have been top notch, pictures were enough in my case and they allowed me to keep the old screen! I have to say they were most excellent to deal with and especially because I wanted a -6.

Anyway sorry on your windshield issue the only consolation is a lot of us have replaced the OEM shield.

The rest of the debate on PC or Acrylic you have seen a bit of in this thread and you can search and read.

Like I said a lot of us use Acrylic because that manufacturer has a large selection, multiple designs, and we are pleased at how they function. If I found a PC shield designed like the CB I would buy it.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in