The Ultimate Cup Holder for the K1200lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 24th, 2010, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

The Ultimate Cup Holder for the K1200lt

i have spent quite a bit of time looking for suitable cup holders for my 2002 BMW K1200lte. I looked at the threads here and looked at the BMW cupholder as well. then I started thinking that it would be awsome if the butler company would make a holder for the K1200 as I had one of theirs on my vstar silverado that I loved and was by far the best I had ever used on a bike in over 30 years. I had originally bought it at a local bike shop for my cruiser and was wondering why they didnt make one for the K bikes. then I got lucky and happened across a link to s new(ish) page that showed they DID make a unit in 2 sizes for the K1200lte. Here is the link for the butler for the K1200lt

http://www.glassact.com/galleryBMW.htm

i just mounted this unit up and it by far blows all the others out of the water. Both sizes fit perfectly but there is a small modification you must preform to mount it to the bars. All you need is a dremel or like tool to make a cutout in the left side bar cover. it took me about 10 minutes to install it and it looks as if it was a stock item. It does not get in the way of any other equipment nor the view of any guages or GPS. There is even room for a tank bag when using this but youll need to be careful on height or you may have a small contact issue.

All in all this beats the beemer cup holder that is almost twice as expensive. Cheer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 24th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Smile Re: The Ultimate Cup Holder for the K1200lt

Couldn't agree with you more...I had 2 installed while at CCR last year, one for myself and one for my SO. As it turns Butler was on site and I beleive it was Charles who put them on for me. He gave me a pretty decent discount for buying 2 of them as well.

On our way back from CCR we hit temps between 35 to 40 C, the cups sure came in handy, had them filled with water and ice, they sure helped in keeping us well hydrated. I would definitely recommend them.

Dan

Dan Levesque
Cold Lake, Alberta

07 LT (w/many "farkles")
+ matching Unigo Trailer
CCR'09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old May 25th, 2010, 8:38 am

Re: The Ultimate Cup Holder for the K1200lt

This solution was listed in the previous message ont he subject in this forum. It does look like a possible solution and I certainly like the capacity of the larger unit.

However,

1.) You still have to cut holes in the handlebar covers (Shame shame shame!)
2.) From the pictures on their website you wont be able to use a tank bag. Gotta have a tank bag you know
3.) It wasn't designed by an engineer named 'Dieter' who ultimately became the Design Team Lead for the new 6 cylinder LT (Just guessing on this!)
4.) The BMW folding cup holder is a lot more "gee whiz" AND it has the BMW logo
5.) The cost difference is only $12 with the BMW being slightly more expensive. One of the posts on the previous thread holder is from a person who has a BMW holder for $95 including shipping.

I think I'll stick with my BMW cup holder for now. No cutting, easy on/off, looks cooler, has the BMW logo and allows me to use a tank bag.

Now..... If I had paid retail that might be different. Naw.
Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 7 Old May 25th, 2010, 9:14 am

The "mount" used by BUTLER can be easily modified to work off another location. the mount is very adjustable.. just don't use the handlebar hardware.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 7 Old May 25th, 2010, 9:52 am

If you don't use the handlebar mount what would you mount it to? Holes in the tupperware ? I really like the capacity of the larger one but not looking to penetrate plastic to do it.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
The "mount" used by BUTLER can be easily modified to work off another location. the mount is very adjustable.. just don't use the handlebar hardware.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #6 of 7 Old May 25th, 2010, 10:05 am

Loren..
With a bit of time you can fashion an "L" bracket to go on top of the clutch or front brake reservoir to mount the Butler hardware.

However, the real "trick" to this setup is the way they use the partial "loop" and cup taper to lock the cup in place. Very ingenious. Very adaptable.

When I helped the inventor / owner of the Butler install on the LT, the goal was to utilize his mounting hardware.... For me, it was the best solution. So many folks mount to near the handgrips.. it's your choice.

Also, the cup lid, straw and sipper functions are very well done. You don't have to uncork, unscrew or worry about a "siphon" effect in any environment I've used the product.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 7 Old May 25th, 2010, 11:05 am

Makes good sense! I have my GPS mounted on the brake master cylinder cover and I really like it. It's a great place to mount items like this. This location would also allow use of the tank bag. I'm warming up..........!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Loren..
With a bit of time you can fashion an "L" bracket to go on top of the clutch or front brake reservoir to mount the Butler hardware.

However, the real "trick" to this setup is the way they use the partial "loop" and cup taper to lock the cup in place. Very ingenious. Very adaptable.

When I helped the inventor / owner of the Butler install on the LT, the goal was to utilize his mounting hardware.... For me, it was the best solution. So many folks mount to near the handgrips.. it's your choice.

Also, the cup lid, straw and sipper functions are very well done. You don't have to uncork, unscrew or worry about a "siphon" effect in any environment I've used the product.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in