I'm doing my own maintenance now - observations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 24th, 2010, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

I'm doing my own maintenance now - observations

I have a 2000 LT that I've owned since 2003 and I've just now started doing my own basic maintenance. I am always working on my dirt bikes and have not had the time nor desire to tear in the LT. I was always putting it the shop.

On my list of things to do was to 1) replace the broken abs sensor ring 2) change the engine oil 3) replace the front brake pads 4) change the tranny and differential oil and 5) change the coolant.

Here are a couple of observations and things I learned.

1. changing the oil wasn't too bad of a process. It would have been nice to know up front that the oil filter sits in the sump. I removed that cover before I had the pan in place and I got oil all over my patio.

2. The oil filter cap removal thingy at Autozone fit perfectly. Size "B" is what I used and I didn't need to buy the one from the dealer.

3. I was a bit nervous about crawling underneath the bike. It worked out. I don't have a lift that will support the LT, so there's no other way.

4. getting to drain bolt for the tranny fluid was a pain. I had to remove the bracket for the exhaust to get to it. Then it required a 14mm hex bolt which I had to go buy. Next time, I will not remove all the body work. I will only remove the right foot peg. Oh, I cut out the rubber matt like it said to do in the manual, but the oil didn't drain straight down and there was spillage. Good think I put the sheet of plywood down on the ground first.

5. changing the differential fluid was easy.

6. the front wheel came off easy once I put a small jack and a block of wood beneath the engine. I was then able to remove the front brake disks to get off the front brake calipers. What a PITA! I must have been doing something wrong. Changing the pads was easy. It took me about 30 mins to realize that the pin holding the brakes pads in the caliper did not screw out. I used a punch to push it out.

7. btw... OEM brakes are expensive as hell (almost $400 for the front). I thought about aftermarket, but I think that this is only the second set of brake pads in 70K miles. I wanted to make sure that the ones I put on lasted as long as what I already had on there.

8. reassembling the front wheel, putting the brake disks were a pain, but I got it done. I replaced the abs ring also and set the abs sensor gap like the book said to do. No problem. (btw... please remember to remove your front brake disk lock before you attempt to drive off. It will damage the abs sensor ring. )

9. Went to remove the temperature sensor in the water pump housing to drain the coolant and it snapped in two. Its not leaking, but its stuck in there.I need to figure out how to get it out of there. It hasn't worked properly for years and should have been changed out a long time ago. Now I have my work cut out for me to extract it.

10. After removing the lower part of the body work and putting it all back together, i only ended up with 1 leftover screew. I cannot figure out where it goes.

Otherwise, it looks good....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 24th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Re: I'm doing my own maintenance now - observations

i too do my own maintenance and the Clymer manual is great for information. I overcame the oil issue by going down to the hardware store and buying a plastic drain pan for hot water heaters. It's about 2.5 feet in diameter and can catch all the oil from the BMW. Then i just drain it backinto an oil container with a funnel.
post #3 of 12 Old May 24th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Good Job. I too do my own maintenance. zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650

post #4 of 12 Old May 24th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Cool Re: I'm doing my own maintenance now - observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorris
(SNIP) 6. the front wheel came off easy once I put a small jack and a block of wood beneath the engine. I was then able to remove the front brake disks to get off the front brake calipers. What a PITA! I must have been doing something wrong. Changing the pads was easy. It took me about 30 mins to realize that the pin holding the brakes pads in the caliper did not screw out. I used a punch to push it out.

7. btw... OEM brakes are expensive as hell (almost $400 for the front). I thought about aftermarket, but I think that this is only the second set of brake pads in 70K miles. I wanted to make sure that the ones I put on lasted as long as what I already had on there.

8. reassembling the front wheel, putting the brake disks were a pain, but I got it done. (Snip)...
The Brake disks do not need to come off. You simply unbolt the calipers from the forks, and then work them back and forth in order to get the pads recessed enough to roll them off the disks.

HTH in the future, and congrats on tackling the work yourself!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old May 25th, 2010, 6:59 am

$400 for front brakes??????????????

Did you have to replace the rotors in addition to the pads? I never had to replace the front rotors, only the rear, once in 120,000 miles.

Ditto on not removing the rotors to remove the pads. Twist the caliper to left and right to retract the pistons in the calipers

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 12 Old May 25th, 2010, 7:09 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
$400 for front brakes??????????????

Did you have to replace the rotors in addition to the pads? I never had to replace the front rotors, only the rear, once in 120,000 miles.

Ditto on not removing the rotors to remove the pads. Twist the caliper to left and right to retract the pistons in the calipers
I put BMW Premium Brake pads on the front of my LT & both sets cost about $150.00 together.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 12 Old May 25th, 2010, 7:18 am

Garage

When it comes to the LT, I have found this site to be a gold mine in knowledge. It has saved me both time and money on simple repairs, trouble shooting issues and ideas.

Well, it has also a small fortune with all of the ideas for trips and farkles. Keep coming back!

If, after a while, you find yourself coming here daily, please be kind and send in a donation to keep the lights on.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #8 of 12 Old May 25th, 2010, 8:06 am

The water cooler drain plug / temp sensor is only in very loose - 9Nm, so you should be able to get the remains out if you can get any grip on it at all, even a small notch and small screwdriver should do it.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #9 of 12 Old May 25th, 2010, 9:12 am

Great job MauriceDoris! Now that you are a motorcycle mechanic it's time to purchase a helper!

I figure that with the maintenance you've done on your bike without taking it t o the dealer you have saved about $1,000,000! Take some of the money you have saved and buy yourself an air over hydraulic 1200 lb lift from Harbor Freight. It will be the best $500 you will ever spend! No more oil on the patio and no laying on the ground to do the work!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 12 Old May 25th, 2010, 9:18 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

You will get better on the maintenance the more you do it. The worst for me is that damn exhaust bracket! While a bit convoluted I think it is the price we pay for a fully covered bike.

Yes you have to be precise on that drain chute you make for the tranny, and you must hold it and your mouth just right and believe me, most of us get spillage.

The oil thing was one of the first things I learned and yes I did get it it was a sump system. You wont make the mistake again.

On the coolant John Z warned me to leave the sensor alone and just break the lower hose. I used a Might Vac to suck what was left in the pump and rear overflow. It has been reported a bunch to leave the sensor alone.

Sounds like you got er done and all is well. Next adventure out use the search here and it may help you. I know anything I do I spend time here searching about it.

Congratulations on doing your own maintenance and you saved a bunch of money, got to use the products of your choice, and know it is done right.

Good job, now ride the dill out of her !

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 12 Old May 25th, 2010, 4:00 pm

I bought a set of DVD's made by a member of this site when I purchased my first LT in 03. Paul Sayegh makes them and I highly recomend them,

LT DVD

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #12 of 12 Old May 29th, 2010, 7:07 am

I Too do my own mtc. On my 05 LT. The first time is always the hardest. Be patient. It will get easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in