Brake Pad Life? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 24th, 2010, 9:08 am Thread Starter

Brake Pad Life?

I was just curious about what everyone else was getting mileage wise out of their brake pads? Mine seem to be holding up well (at least half normal thickness) but I am planning on taking another trip to the mountains (Gap, Skyway) soon and I am concerned about how much pad a few days of aggressive two up mountain riding will use up.
The brakes still work perfectly outside of an occasional squeak, but I don't want to be 600 miles from my garage and have the pads start chewing up a rotor.....and after hearing about two of my H-D friends having to but new brakes on their Street Glides every 2500-3500 miles......it really made me curious as to how many highway miles a normal LT gets out of it's pads.

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 24th, 2010, 10:47 am

Re: Brake Pad Life?

Good morning!

My '05 LT went almost 50K before I traded it for the '08, and they said the brake pads were only half way worn at the dealer. This is probably all subjective to riding style, I keep the rpm's up and use the decrease in throttle to do most of my braking, my HD friends in front of me, I always see their brake lights going on and off when we ride. I do ride behind them because they don't like how fast the LT can stop, it catches them by surprise every now and again, and I don't want to become part of that 'HITA' Club (HitInTheAss), because of one of my rider friends!

When I take it to get inspected, the person doing the inspection seems to be able to look at the brake pads easily and tell how much I have left, base on how many miles I've gone already on them. Not sure if you have someone like that at your dealer or inspection station.

Good luck on your trip, that's a great ride!!!
Kirk

'09 K12LT 'Under Warranty' (34k+)
'08 K12LT the 'Hearse' 30K(traded)
'05 R12GS 'Ride 'n Dirty' 40K(traded)
'05 K12LT 'Magic Carpet Ride' 48K (traded for '08)
'05 K12S 'Sweet Emotion' 3K (traded in order to stay alive)
'00 R12C 'Bare Bones' 15K (sold)
post #3 of 8 Old May 24th, 2010, 3:40 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

On my 2000 LT with 61K on it I have replaced the rear pads 3 times & will need to again soon. The front on the other hand have been replaced only 1 time at about 50K.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 8 Old May 24th, 2010, 8:38 pm

All depends on your driving habits.
My rear lasted to 36 K and my fronts still strong at 46K.
If you are concerned, buy a set of rears and take with you as they can be replaced without special tools on the road...

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old May 24th, 2010, 9:43 pm
cws

Garage

If you're a heavy footbrake user and do a lot of commute traffic you can score the rear rotor within 16,000km (about 10,000m). Took me 2 damaged rotors before I learnt my lesson... now I rarely touch the rear footbrake except in emergencies.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 8 Old May 25th, 2010, 7:47 am

Cool Re: Brake Pad Life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
If you're a heavy footbrake user and do a lot of commute traffic you can score the rear rotor within 16,000km (about 10,000m). Took me 2 damaged rotors before I learnt my lesson... now I rarely touch the rear footbrake except in emergencies.
huh????? how come you are wearing out the rears quicker than the front??? maybe has something to do with the linked version?? "trailbraking" through corners??? Beryl goes through front pads in say 40k-kms, and rears lasting mucho longer as I very rare if at all use the rear, cos it is hopeless as a brake....has always been like that from new...I wonder how it was ever approved, and of course is not linked to the front....
Shane T in Rocky got probably over 100k-kms outta his front pads as he very rarely has to use them up north, uses his LT for long distance stuff Rocky to MotoGP each year etc etc

cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #7 of 8 Old May 25th, 2010, 10:01 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I can say I used up a rear set of pads in 15K. However I feel it was from an EBC rear rotor that was not right, and my habit of very light rear break pedal for most city and some twistie riding. I guess old habits from years gone by.

I have heard it said that all brakes are on but I believe you can use light rear brake pedal for trail braking and in city driving without engaging the front, or at least little pressure from the fronts. At least it appears that way to me on my 07.

At any rate EBC pads are cheap you can do all 3 calipers for the cost of about 1 OEM set cost. Lot of advances in brake pad materials with ceramic, and Kevlar, and some of the organic mixes, and of course full blown race pads.

I also agree a set of pads takes little to no room on the bike if traveling, and is as simple as a after dinner drink to do.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 8 Old May 25th, 2010, 8:33 pm

I replaced the rear at 14K but 7K of that was the previous owner. I used aftermarket pads for 28.00 and it took 20 minutes. The fronts look like they still have a ways to go. If you think they are even close to needing to be replaced, it's too cheap and easy not to be on the side of caution.

I used these pads:
http://beemerboneyard.com/cl2987rx3.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in