Loose nut - help! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 7:40 am Thread Starter

Loose nut - help!

Hi
On the image below you will see a dust cover on the upper right - the bolt under this is loose! I am sure it is not meant to be loose, but can find the tightening process or torque details anywhere.
Is it just a matter of tightening it, or do I need to hold something else in place/ pretorque something?And what torque setting is this one?
Thanks

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 8:10 am

Re: Loose nut - help!

That is a rather critical fastener that secures the leading link to the fork slider tube bridge. It is NOT supposed to be loose. In fact, this fastener is secured at the factory with thread locking compound (Loctite).

To remove/tighten, you need the special slotted socket (See attached pic) that allows you to hold the inner allen bolt steady as you tighten the outer lock nut which get's torqued to 130Nm. If yours is loose, I would recommend removing it, cleaning the threads, reapply Loctite, tighten to the proper torque, and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers, Toolman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	specialtool.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	27507  

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #3 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 8:35 am Thread Starter

OH NO! - 2 days to big trip and no special tool!!!
Thanks for the info

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 9:11 am Thread Starter

Is there nay way I can get away with just tightening this up or removing and tightening without the special tool?

Last edited by c00k1e; May 24th, 2010 at 9:53 am.
post #5 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 9:58 am

I'm sure you can probably get it tightened back up without the special tool, but tightening it to the proper torque might be tricky without the tool. Many folks have made their own sockets....buy proper size socket...and simply grind out a window to allow an allen wrench to fit.

I recommended removal because if it's loose, that seems to indicate the the thread locking compound isn't doing it's job...and is why it should be removed, re-Loctite'd, then re-installed.

Cheers, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #6 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 10:12 am Thread Starter

OK, I am going to dive in - what is the torque setting for the allen bolt?

post #7 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 12:33 pm

If my read of the manual is correct you don't torque the allen, you need to hold it stationary while you torque the nut to 130 Nm. It also says to apply loctite 2701 (the permanent stuff) to the threads.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #8 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoolbaugh
If my read of the manual is correct you don't torque the allen, you need to hold it stationary while you torque the nut to 130 Nm. It also says to apply loctite 2701 (the permanent stuff) to the threads.
Yup, Ralph is correct. You want to capture the threaded rod by inserting the Allen wrench into the end of the rod and thus keeping it stationary while letting you tighten the nut onto the threaded rod using 130 Nm torque. If you're close to a dealer, they may loan you the cut-out-window socket for tightening? Good luck
post #9 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys - just finishing the cut out tool now - not pretty, but amazing what you can do with a dremmel and an angle grinder!

post #10 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 2:07 pm

There ya go Commander!
Innovation and a trip on the horizon will always make the necessity and drive for inventive alternative tool making..

Its also those thumbs too!
Seems to me that trip will go on now as scheduled! Be safe C00Kie!

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #11 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 3:26 pm

nuthin' like a lil motivation, Cookie!

I would take the "special tool" on the trip.. and make sure you use FRESH Locktite.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement guys BUT................
I have hit a brick wall:
The Clymer states that I have to take off side panels, tank cover (odd) handlebar fairings, HANDLEBARS! etc etc. Just to tighten ONE bolt!!
IS this true?
I know I can't get the torque wrench in there yet, but do I really need to go that extreme?
Also, if that bolt is undone (and off for cleaning) won't something fall off? I mean it must be holding something on right?
I don't want to do a botch job as this is obviously an important bolt (thank goodness I found it loose as part of the pre-trip checks), I do have another bike I can use and I have less than 24 hrs to go!

post #13 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 8:23 pm

I did mine without removing it all.. are you sure you were not reading the replacement of the shock... that would require removal of all the covers.

BTW.. that is the "Jesus bolt".. if it comes loose you'll see Jesus..

if it comes loose you'll have a hard time controlling the bike. But, to get it to separate from the arm, you'l have to loosen the bottom shock bolt to let it come up enough.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Last edited by cfell; May 24th, 2010 at 8:31 pm.
post #14 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks bud - how much did you remove? and does anything need supporting when it is off?
What page is it it in the Clymer? It is all a bit vague

Good description of how important the bolt is!

post #15 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Cookie.. my yahoo id is channingfell. ping me there and we can discuss.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #16 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

No idea what that is mate, - also 2 in the morning here, so I best get some sleep
Any info you can leave here would be most appreciated
Thanks

post #17 of 17 Old May 24th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I was able to tighten that on mine without removing all the plastic.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in