Drain Tube - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Drain Tube

Quick question......

2009 LT- There are two drain tubes coming out the bottom of the bike--The first one is starboard of the center stand and is for gas fill overflow.

Anybody have any idea what the second one is for behind the center stand routed through the rear suspension?

Put 200+ miles on it this weekend and loved every minute.....Out to Borrego Springs and back...the desert was unseasonably cool-perfect temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:45 pm

Re: Drain Tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd987
Quick question......

2009 LT- There are two drain tubes coming out the bottom of the bike--The first one is starboard of the center stand and is for gas fill overflow.

Anybody have any idea what the second one is for behind the center stand routed through the rear suspension?

Put 200+ miles on it this weekend and loved every minute.....Out to Borrego Springs and back...the desert was unseasonably cool-perfect temp.
Hi Bill.. The one starbord of the centerstand is actually the overflow vent for the ABS and the one that exits near the rear is the fuel overflow.. At least on my 05 this is true.. I suspect I am still accurate for the 09'

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #3 of 4 Old May 24th, 2010, 12:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
Hi Bill.. The one starbord of the centerstand is actually the overflow vent for the ABS and the one that exits near the rear is the fuel overflow.. At least on my 05 this is true.. I suspect I am still accurate for the 09'

I did the "water test" to find out where the water flowed from the fuel overflow so they might have rearranged the plumbing between '05 and '09. Regardless, I think you answered my question as to what the other one is for.

Many thanks!

post #4 of 4 Old May 24th, 2010, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd987
I did the "water test" to find out where the water flowed from the fuel overflow so they might have rearranged the plumbing between '05 and '09. Regardless, I think you answered my question as to what the other one is for.

Many thanks!
On ole Toad ('99 vintage), the gas 'overfill catch bibb' drained to atmosphere just near the rider's right footpeg and is still there. The other tube originally ran from the tank to the fuel vapor recovery cannister under the trunk, where charcoal absorbed the fumes and allowed the fumes to be drawn to the fuel rail by a connecting hose, upon engine start. The cannister also had a venting tube that ran to the rear of the bike; exiting near license tag. This provided a means for the fuel tank to 'breath' in air to replace used gas volume and thus prevented tank collapse.

Neither hose on ole Toad involved an ABS vent, so that is something that must have changed in newer model years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in