BMW K1200LT Front Brakes locked on - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2010, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

Question BMW K1200LT Front Brakes locked on

I have the BMW K1200LT with power assisted brakes.
Not to long ago, i applied the front brakes while travelling and they jammed on to the extent, that i was almost thrown from the bike, as i'm sure it would anyone, it scared the life out of me. I'd since had the front brakes replaced and bled, its just recently happen again, like they have a mind of their own..!
Can anyone shed some light on this please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2010, 3:56 pm

Re: BMW K1200LT Front Brakes locked on

I've only had that happen on my Harley, not ABS or powered, but it turned out to be the master. If you looked down into the master, you could see the bleed back hole in the piston was blocked. When the lever was released, it did not allow the fluid back into the reservoir, thus would not release the pressure. I pulled into my gravel driveway, front wheel locked and I went down instantly.
Don't know if that helps, but that's my experience.
post #3 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:22 pm

When my brake lines started to disintegrate they left bits of rubber in the caliper. That stopped it from retracting. It only affected one caliper. Looks at your brakes pads. If one side is significantly more worn then the other side then its time to call Spiegler Brake Line Company ($234). Just a thought

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:29 am

I've had the same problem and the garage tells me it's due to corrosion/pitting inside the calipers, the pistons are sliding out and sticking on the pitted surface. The front brakes stick on and overheat, I have to stop and wait several minutes for them to cool before I'm good to go.

I've been quoted 1200 for new calipers and dics (told they're not repairable on my 03 LT). I'm going to try a set of new pads, hoping that the pistons won't need to slide out as far as they do now with the worn pads.

2002 K1200LT SE
post #5 of 11 Old May 15th, 2011, 4:30 am

I am having a similar problem with the right front caliper on my '00 LT. I mentioned it to the service manager at 441 Cycles in Ft. Lauderdale when I dropped the bike off for the 36K mile service. He told me to have the brake lines changed to Spiegler's, and i agreed with his suggestion. $1,308 and a week and a half later I got the bike back with several scratches in the paint, a couple of chunks missing from plastic trim, rubber piece around the gas filler so mangled I couldn't get the filler door open, wire from front ABS sensor hanging loose above the fender and the brake caliper still hanging up.

I noticed the damage about a block from the dealer and returned to tell the service manager. He didn't say a word, went inside and sent the mechanic out with a screw driver. He managed to push the rubber piece into place, reached into his shirt pocket and retrieved the plastic pieces he had broken, said "sorry about that and disappeared behind a door marked "Employees Only" never to be seen again.

On my ride home I noticed the mileage was well below normal and when I got home I checked the front wheel to discover it took two hands and a concerted effort to rotate, exactly like it was before I had it "repaired".

Any suggestions as to what to do about both the poor quality of the service I received at 441 Cycles and the ongoing brake problem? By the way, before I took it to the dealer, I pulled the caliper, removed the brake line and pads and all 4 pucks moved freely with finger pressure.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Gregg Oldberg
'81 R100RT
'00 K1200LT
post #6 of 11 Old May 15th, 2011, 10:25 am

I don't know nuttin' about the brake problem, butt I do know about handling the dealership's service problem. I'm fortunate in that I've never experienced bad service from any dealership ole Toad has been serviced thru, butt if I did:

Go over the details again, in your head, and jot 'em down for notes; pen a letter that details times, names, events, etc, and don't guess on any of it, pen only what you can factually back up (you can offer an opinion, but it should be stated as such). Emphasize the danger, and responsibility, involved with returning a bike to service in the condition you received it. Also include a copy of your itemized invoice. Send that to the owner of the dealership AND a copy to the service manager AND another to BMW Motorrad USA (get a specific name and department there to address your letter to). Here is the hard part - initially leave the door open for the *owner* of the dealership to address 'his' problem and provide you with a satisfactory solution to the one they left you with. Now, provide the forum membership here with both the beginning and the final outcome of your situation and place that in the "dealer experience" forum/page. Best of luck after all of this - maybe they'll improve on their customer service - these days it's a key factor in their bottom line results.

Good luck
post #7 of 11 Old May 15th, 2011, 10:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Great input Dick,

I would only add that I hope you paid with a credit card. If you did contact you card company and file a dispute with them, they will hold off payment to the dealer.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 11 Old May 16th, 2011, 11:50 am

This morning I received a phone call from the owner of the dealership. This was in response to an email I sent him on Sunday. He asked me to return the bike to his shop so he can take a look at it. He apologized for the way my service/repair was handled and said he will make things right.

I will be dropping the bike off Friday morning. Stay tuned for updates.

Gregg Oldberg
'81 R100RT
'00 K1200LT
post #9 of 11 Old May 16th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Had same problem with front brakes on my 2001 LT. After rebuilding both front calipers which didn't show any signs of sticking, was unable to get any fluid out of bleeders pulling vacuum or pumping. Eventually front hose blew. Took a section of hose out only to find completely clogged. After removing hose, discovered to be clogged almost to hard line on frame. Ordered all new rubber hoses. While bleeding ABS servo, fluid was dark with what appeared to be very small particles of hose material. Problem solved with new hoses. Rebuilt rear caliper since I was there anyway. Brakes like new again.

Good luck!!
post #10 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2011, 8:35 pm

I went back to 441 on Friday to meet with the owner (per his request) so he could see the damage done by his mechanic. He had taken the day off so it was a wasted trip.

I ordered the shop manual on CD (NOT a bootleg copy) and I'll be doing the repairs myself.

I sure wish there was a decent BMW dealer in south Florida!

Gregg Oldberg
'81 R100RT
'00 K1200LT
post #11 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:02 pm

Ouch!

If you are going to start doing the normal maintance you might find Paul's videos useful. Mine are so old that they are on VHS--forgot his last name.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in