Fun to work on - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old May 23rd, 2010, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Fun to work on

Sorry for beating a dead horse here, but for all the negatives I've read, I still have to say that this bike is just a pleasure to work on.
As some may know, I lost my rear main seal, resulting in the removal of everything through the transmission. Replaced the clutch, seals, slave etc., and enjoyed nearly every minute of the job - so far.
I'm still waiting on the proper shims so that I can complete the final drive rebuild, then install that and the rear wheel. After that I'll take it out of the shop for a good cleaning, then on with the plastic.
Everything came apart, and went back together like a dream. No fighting, no problem. I even made my own 30MM socket. Took all of about 20 minutes, and I even got the pleasure of using it twice - had to remove the swing arm again to tighten up the banjo bolts on the clutch slave (my bad).
Admittedly, I'd rather spend $1000 on something other than a clutch, bearing, seals and all else, but for the amount of pleasure my wife and I get out of this bike, and the comfort of knowing she'll go for thousands of miles more, I couldn't be happier.
For those concerned about all the "issues" reported on this bike - don't be. What a wonderful machine.

Of all the things that caused me the most trouble, it was repairing stipped bolts - one in the seat frame, and two on the valve cover. Obviously done by a dealer, as the previous owner never got in that deep. Someone 'heavy handed' those and stipped them. Couple of heli-coils, and better than new. Just a little frustrating.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in