any problems with bikes stored for years? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2010, 1:39 am Thread Starter

any problems with bikes stored for years?

Hi all, great forum - have learned a lot already. I am not an LT owner yet, but looking at a 99 model with only 27,000km on the clock. The first owner bought it, put it in storage for 5? years. The second owner replaced the tyres (falling apart) and rode it home interstate, no problems. I will be the fourth owner, and wonder if there are any problems to expect with such a bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2010, 2:16 am

Re: any problems with bikes stored for years?

Interesting question. The opinions on this forum will range from 'The seals will be hard and fail early' to 'modern seals don't harden like the seals of yesteryear'.

I bought an '01 a year go with 7,800 miles on it. It currently has 19,000 miles on it and no problems so far (cross fingers, knock on wood, etc.)

I wouldn't worry about it. Buy it and ride it like you stole it!

A far as other problems, you will find that you spend all the time you can riding your new bike and you will likely spend all the time you are riding and for a few hours afterward with a silly "I can't believe I have an LT" smile on your face.

They are a hoot to ride!

Good luck!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2010, 5:51 am

Don't worry about seals in spite of what some will say; the seals will be fine.
(You can always have a seal problem, but it won't be caused by sitting).

"Varnish" in the injectors from gas sitting in them is more of a concern IMO. I'd dump a little injector cleaner in your first couple of tanks of gas.

And I'd put new tires on. Old rubber on the road isn't good.

Whenever I buy a "new" old bike, I'll do all the recommended service on fluids and filters just so I know it is done.

Then ride it.

post #4 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2010, 8:13 am
Gold Supporter

If ABS is still working, would change the brake fluid ASAP to try and keep it that way, it should be clear, old fluid will look like tea. Would look over the brake lines for cracks or plan on replacing them at some point. Never heard of a serious event from a brake line rupture, but there appear to be plenty of issues with leaks, do a search on brake lines and you will learn more than you need.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #5 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:33 am

I bought my 2000 nearly 3 years ago. It had 17,500 miles on it. Over 44,000 on it now. I had the state inspection done last week. The inspector looked at me and asked, "Is that 44 THOUSAND miles?" I told him that wasn't a lot of miles for a BMW and that I don't ride nearly as much as some do.

If you come to terms on the '99, change filters, fluids, etc. and enjoy the heck out it.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You didn't mention any stats for the third owner. If he has ridden it regularly and had no problems I would say that 5 years of storage is no longer an issue.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2010, 2:12 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I would say you would be fine also. After a complete 24,000 maintenance. Change all fluids and filters, check the valves, upgrade the plastic fuel connects, add copious amount of Tectron at every fill up and ride the snot out of it.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2010, 3:17 pm

Without revealing names, I can tell you about a 05 LT that came into the shop a few months ago with only 2087 miles on it. It had been in storage for the last 3 years and sure not used much before then. Final bill was close to 3 K. Going from memory: battery, full catch up services for fluids, valve check, plugs, repair of electric center stand, etc. No seal issues as I recall. Hope this helps.

Ultra LT
post #9 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2010, 7:54 pm

5 years is a long time. Does BMW do something different than say Harley with their seals? Like are they made out of better material to where they can be stored that long and be OK. I bought a 2001 K1200LT in November and it had 31,000 miles on it and I have had no issues with the seals. I guess this is more of a question on my part than to try to help. I was wondering the same thing when I bought this one. But like I said, I have had NO Issues with mine.

post #10 of 10 Old May 24th, 2010, 10:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You didn't mention any stats for the third owner. If he has ridden it regularly and had no problems I would say that 5 years of storage is no longer an issue.
+1 on what John said. The first owner is a very minor factor. Key is how did it perform for and how was it treated by the owner immediately prior to you. Good luck!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in