Final Drives Without Drain Plugs - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 21st, 2010, 8:12 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Indy, IN, USA
Posts: 438
Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

I was looking at a used R1200ST yesterday and the owner mentioned that it did not have a drain plug in the final drive, but that they had replaced the fluid and said it should be good for the life of the bike. Having looked at a few new BMWs lately, I never looked to see if they are still making the final drives this way or if they went back to a drain plug. What is the verdict on the dependability of drives made this way and are they still making them this way?

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
tonyn1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old May 21st, 2010, 10:58 am
Junior Member
 
motoexplorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Brighton, MN, United States
Posts: 17
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

What year was the ST? My 2005 R1200GS does NOT have a drain plug. When the new style rear drives appeared in 2005 they were intended to be "lifetime"/sealed units - never needing to be serviced.

BMW reversed that decision and they now recommend final drive fluid replacement every 12k service (I think that's the interval anyway, I'd have to check). I think there has also been a service bulletin or two changing the amount of fluid that the drive should have. Indeed the new style drives (with and without drain plugs) have had a few failures too.

In 2007(?) I think they started to put drain plugs on the final drives again.

To drain the final drive on a non-drain plug model you have to unbolt and disconnect the rear drive hub from the driveshaft and rotate it down and drain the fluid out of another hole. Not complicated, but certainly more work that it needs to be or should've been.

I don't think you can add a drain plug to a non-drain plug model either. At least I've never seen anything about it on advrider.com or any other site.

I bought my GS from a guy last year who rode it sparingly. It only has 20K miles but the rear drive is going strong so far. I just changed the rear fluid again and no signs of impending doom.

The R1200 bikes are fun to ride bikes. When the cyclops headlight ST first came out I thought to myself that whoever designed the front end of that bike should be beat with a rubber hose, but it has grown on me. The ST would certainly make for a lighter-weight slightly more sporty alternative to the RT.

Joe

_________________
2005 R1200GS
2009 Ninja 650R
2001 KLR650
2008 GSXR 600
motoexplorer is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old May 21st, 2010, 9:04 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Indy, IN, USA
Posts: 438
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoexplorer
What year was the ST? My 2005 R1200GS does NOT have a drain plug. When the new style rear drives appeared in 2005 they were intended to be "lifetime"/sealed units - never needing to be serviced.

BMW reversed that decision and they now recommend final drive fluid replacement every 12k service (I think that's the interval anyway, I'd have to check). I think there has also been a service bulletin or two changing the amount of fluid that the drive should have. Indeed the new style drives (with and without drain plugs) have had a few failures too.

In 2007(?) I think they started to put drain plugs on the final drives again.

To drain the final drive on a non-drain plug model you have to unbolt and disconnect the rear drive hub from the driveshaft and rotate it down and drain the fluid out of another hole. Not complicated, but certainly more work that it needs to be or should've been.

I don't think you can add a drain plug to a non-drain plug model either. At least I've never seen anything about it on advrider.com or any other site.

I bought my GS from a guy last year who rode it sparingly. It only has 20K miles but the rear drive is going strong so far. I just changed the rear fluid again and no signs of impending doom.

The R1200 bikes are fun to ride bikes. When the cyclops headlight ST first came out I thought to myself that whoever designed the front end of that bike should be beat with a rubber hose, but it has grown on me. The ST would certainly make for a lighter-weight slightly more sporty alternative to the RT.

Joe
It was an 05 also. I think I'll stay away from the non-drain plug models since BMW is now recommending changing the fluid, unless I get a really good deal on one, which this wasn't. I like the bike however, since it reminds me of my first Beemer, an 04 R1100 RS, which the ST kind of replaced after the 1150 versions of the RS. The headlights might look weird, but how they light up the night is what's important, and that looks like it did a pretty fair job of that. When did they stop making the ST and are there some drain plug versions out there?

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
tonyn1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old May 21st, 2010, 9:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,271
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

The oil in those drives only lubricates the gears. The bearings are sealed, grease filled units.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2010, 8:51 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Indy, IN, USA
Posts: 438
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The oil in those drives only lubricates the gears. The bearings are sealed, grease filled units.
That may be so, but you are still going to have some metal coming off the gears, no matter how little, contaminating the fluid, plus it would break down from heat over time. What were the years they used the non-drain plug drive?

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
tonyn1 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:29 am
Sit
Senior Member
 
Sit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 426
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

Drain plugs on the GS re-appeared for the 07 model part way through. My early 07 does not have a drain plug, later 07 models do. To drain the drive without a drain is rather easy, take tire off, remove speed sensor, remove plug on top of unit, remove nut holding swing arm, and rotate down and let drain. I am sure I am missing a step in there, caliper off? but it takes just a few minutes and can be done on the center stand, at least for a GS. While draining, lube up the splines. Once done, put it all back together and fill through the speed sensor hole. Figure there is no difference in the final drive itself other than the casting that now has a drain at 6 o'clock. And yes, the fluid amount has changed.
Sit is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:23 am
Senior Member
 
haughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spring, Tx, USA
Posts: 910
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

I must have the early 07 GS as it does not have one as well...

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-


1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
haughty is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old May 23rd, 2010, 8:21 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hallettsville, TX, USA
Posts: 218
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

I traded my '99 LT in on an '05 R1200ST and it too has the 9:00 position drain plug.

You can get a service video on Beemer Boneyard and the final drive fluid change is no biggie, although not as easy as it was on the LT.

From what I've read, less than 700 ST's were imported in model years 2005 - 2007 so it's relative scarcity may impact pricing.

I'm really enjoying mine! It has a sportier riding position than the LT but I'm getting used to it.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
EncoreJoe is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old May 24th, 2010, 8:57 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Indy, IN, USA
Posts: 438
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
Drain plugs on the GS re-appeared for the 07 model part way through. My early 07 does not have a drain plug, later 07 models do. To drain the drive without a drain is rather easy, take tire off, remove speed sensor, remove plug on top of unit, remove nut holding swing arm, and rotate down and let drain. I am sure I am missing a step in there, caliper off? but it takes just a few minutes and can be done on the center stand, at least for a GS. While draining, lube up the splines. Once done, put it all back together and fill through the speed sensor hole. Figure there is no difference in the final drive itself other than the casting that now has a drain at 6 o'clock. And yes, the fluid amount has changed.
Still a lot more hassle than one with a drain plug, but I'd still go for one, but the price has to be right.

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
tonyn1 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old May 24th, 2010, 1:12 pm
Sit
Senior Member
 
Sit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 426
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyn1
Still a lot more hassle than one with a drain plug, but I'd still go for one, but the price has to be right.
Yup, more work, but not that big of a deal. The only issue is nut that has to be removed to release the swing are is a one time use nut according to BMW. Of the two shops close to me, one had never hear that and did not have any in stock, nor did they show any record of ever ordering one for a customer or their shop. ??? That would be why my bike has never been worked on by them. The other shop had hand fulls of them since they replace them every time a swing arm is release, cost like 74 cents. I think when I did it, it took less than an hour.
Sit is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old May 31st, 2010, 12:02 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Indy, IN, USA
Posts: 438
Re: Final Drives Without Drain Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
Yup, more work, but not that big of a deal. The only issue is nut that has to be removed to release the swing are is a one time use nut according to BMW. Of the two shops close to me, one had never hear that and did not have any in stock, nor did they show any record of ever ordering one for a customer or their shop. ??? That would be why my bike has never been worked on by them. The other shop had hand fulls of them since they replace them every time a swing arm is release, cost like 74 cents. I think when I did it, it took less than an hour.
It's hard to believe that BMW would have a part that only costs 74 cents!

Grey 14 K1600GT
Red 94 R1100RSL
tonyn1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Final Drives in America NCrider K1200LT 6 Sep 3rd, 2008 6:27 pm
Final Drives smiller Bike Talk 3 Dec 25th, 2007 9:47 am
Final Drive Drain Plug Threads Damaged rglassma K1200LT 21 Oct 21st, 2007 10:01 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome