dead battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 19th, 2010, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

dead battery

Odd thing happened and now am looking to replace battery.
06 LT, stored in winter on trickle charge, battery tender.
I already put a couple thousand miles on this season. Never had a problem starting the bike.
Met up at my travel partner's house, turned the bike off except the lights. Checked the tire pressure, total elapsed time maybe 10 minutes(which I have done before)
Bike would not start, GPS worked, lights worked. Thought the battery on the remote neded replaced, replaced it. Checked fuses, etc. Wife stated"is the battery dead" Laughed and stated "no way"
Our last effort before resetting the security system, we put a charger on the battery and it started.
I know this is a long story but it doesnt seem to make sense
Any help
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 19th, 2010, 10:01 pm

Re: dead battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosko
Odd thing happened and now am looking to replace battery.
06 LT, stored in winter on trickle charge, battery tender.
I already put a couple thousand miles on this season. Never had a problem starting the bike.
Met up at my travel partner's house, turned the bike off except the lights. Checked the tire pressure, total elapsed time maybe 10 minutes(which I have done before)
Bike would not start, GPS worked, lights worked. Thought the battery on the remote neded replaced, replaced it. Checked fuses, etc. Wife stated"is the battery dead" Laughed and stated "no way"
Our last effort before resetting the security system, we put a charger on the battery and it started.
I know this is a long story but it doesnt seem to make sense
Any help
Greg
If original battery, I'd get a new one. An Odyssey PC680 works good, and there are other brands/models that work also, such as Panasonic or Westco. Just a short time on the search engine here will bring up a buncha info on batteries and suggested replacements.
post #3 of 4 Old May 20th, 2010, 9:12 am

I had to replace my battery this spring with a similar scenario. It was working pretty well but one day just didn't start.......lights and other electronics were fine...........? I dunno', it was just time..........I've had to reset the Montronic fuel mapping a couple of times but running fine...........

post #4 of 4 Old May 20th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Before you replace the battery remove the cables and the terminal adapters and check for corrosion.

I was on a trip a couple of years ago and got on the bike one morning, turned on the key and nothing happened. I checked the cables and they were tight so we jumped it from a friends bike. I had to jump it every time it was shut off the rest of the day. When we got to the rally site I thought I would pull the battery and replace it. The cable ends were clean but when I removed the terminal adapter I saw some green corrosion between it and the terminal. I cleaned it good and put it back together and it's still fine today.

Your battery is four years and may be gone but I usually get 6 years from the stock BMW battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in