rt to lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 19th, 2010, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Cool rt to lt

i ride 200 to 300 miles 5 times a week with two trips of 2000 miles per year.

like opinions to change from rt to lt.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 19th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Re: rt to lt

If you are comfortable on the RT as a single rider I would say keep it if I didn't have my SO and I rode single I think I would have an RT. But if you ride two up and want the comfort as well as a bit of performance then the LT is the way to go. There are both fine machines in their own right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley12
i ride 200 to 300 miles 5 times a week with two trips of 2000 miles per year.

like opinions to change from rt to lt.

thanks

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 10 Old May 19th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Same as KRA961. RT for 1 up, LT for 2 up. Plus RT is more economical - a factor with the mileage you're doing.

post #4 of 10 Old May 19th, 2010, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: rt to lt

thanks
looks like answer is to have both bikes

again thanks for your imput
post #5 of 10 Old May 20th, 2010, 9:50 am
cwo

I have both RT and LT. I like them both..... but the learning curve on the LT (at least for me) was several months. The LT is top heavy, very top heavy. It requires my full attention in parking lots. If you still want an LT, you might try removing the top case..... helps a bunch in the top heavy department.

Hope this helps, Chris
post #6 of 10 Old May 20th, 2010, 10:04 am

I've been thing about this for when I'm soloing Corbin Smuggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
I have both RT and LT. I like them both..... but the learning curve on the LT (at least for me) was several months. The LT is top heavy, very top heavy. It requires my full attention in parking lots. If you still want an LT, you might try removing the top case..... helps a bunch in the top heavy department.

Hope this helps, Chris

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 10 Old May 20th, 2010, 11:03 am
cwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
I've been thing about this for when I'm soloing Corbin Smuggler

Yep, I thought about a Corbin Smuggler too. However, just got a new Kontour seat, and I think (but not sure) that the Smuggler requires a Corbin seat as well.

Attached is what I did...... not as cool as the Smuggler, but it works.

Hope this helps, Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luggage.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	27456   Click image for larger version

Name:	luggagerack.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	27457  
post #8 of 10 Old May 20th, 2010, 1:11 pm

Thumbs up Re: rt to lt

I like that setup it looks good! and I'll wager it was a damn sight less expensive then the corbin solution.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #9 of 10 Old May 20th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Chris,

How did you mount the top rack? Did you drill four holes through the plastic tray? If so, how were you able to screw it on from the bottom?

Jeff

Jeff

2006 K1200LT, Metallic Blue
post #10 of 10 Old May 20th, 2010, 2:00 pm
cwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD
Chris,

How did you mount the top rack? Did you drill four holes through the plastic tray? If so, how were you able to screw it on from the bottom?

Jeff
I removed the plastic tray by removing the bolts on the top (that hold the top case) then two screws that you can see when side cases are opened. Then I drilled four holes and got some 2" all-thread for mounting the front of rack to the plastic tray. The original screws for the rack were used to mount the rear of rack.

The hard part was wiring the Kisan brake flasher. I didn't have a diagram, but after finding the correct pin on the quick disconnect located under rear seat, the rest was easy.

Hope this helps, Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in