Need a complete right mirror - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 18th, 2010, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Need a complete right mirror

Well I finially did it! Dropped her so hard it cracked the right mirror housing. At the time I threw what was left away... wrong!!! however I can retrieve the parts. My buddy has to dig threw his trash can but for the $500.00 plus the dealer wants for a complete mirror it is worth that to get what parts that are still usable. I tried the Boneyard advertized here and Fred Rowland at Cycles Recycled but neither has one. Mine is a 2006 Grey with chrome trim. Dang two new chrome ones are less than one replacement of the original. Have seen a thread here on how to pull the old one apart and piece it back toghether. And i do have a shop manual.

Does anyone have another suggestion on where to look for one? I love this LT but am getting fed up with it laying or almost laying it over and the outrageous costs of the cheaply made parts. Must say though the rubber strip on the plastic chrome piece on the saddlebag and the mic o peg saved much more damage. If only this beast was as easy to handle at low speeds or stopped as it is at 90 on the road. I am seriously thinking of trading for an R1200RT or a damn Ultra...

Thanks for letting me rant...

Gene

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 18th, 2010, 3:53 pm

post #3 of 9 Old May 18th, 2010, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Re: Need a complete right mirror

Thank you.

Gene

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old May 18th, 2010, 8:22 pm

I bought one a year ago. These are Chinese knockoffs and fit great. The one I purchased came in any color you desired as long as it was silver. The fit is great, the chrome is inferior to oem but acceptable, the mirror had a slight wobble (fixed with an expandable ear plug) - life is good.
post #5 of 9 Old May 18th, 2010, 11:39 pm

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. I called my dealer, he found the parts on his computer and had them shipped in. (2002 Toscano Green) One part came from Germany. Ordered it on Saturday and picked it up on Thursday. Couldn't believe it! My buddy needed a simple part and waited 6 weeks for it.

Word of caution: There are some screws that screw into flimsey plastic. Put somthing on it to help it thread in. I used white lithium grease.

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #6 of 9 Old May 19th, 2010, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks much for the heads up. Mine is chrome but the housing the conforms back to the bike is painted the same color as the bike. When i talked to a dealer he said chrome was chrome... The housing is what is broken all to pieces the mirror looks fine. Just getting it all out of the housing intact will be the trick...

Before i pay what the dealer quoted for the BMW replacement i will get two of the Chinese ones. At least they will match. Then I am seriously looking to trade the LT for an R1200RT.

Gene

Gene
'06 K1200LT
IBA 31499

post #7 of 9 Old May 10th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeo
I bought one a year ago. These are Chinese knockoffs and fit great. The one I purchased came in any color you desired as long as it was silver. The fit is great, the chrome is inferior to oem but acceptable, the mirror had a slight wobble (fixed with an expandable ear plug) - life is good.

Jump starting this thread again about Chinese knock off mirrors for the LT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6366&viewitem=

I know people don't like them just because they are Chinese, but I think I would rather have matching mirrors than what I have now.

I recently replaced my left mirror with a new one from Re-psychle parts. They don't have anymore. My right mirror mount is now broken and barely hanging on.

1. Other than being foreign (Chinese) made to be installed on a (foreign) K1200LT, is there any comments by owners/buyers of these mirrors regarding quality, service, applicability, etc?

2. Do the painted pieces come off the same as the OEM pieces?

3. Are the mounting points the same type and design as OEM? or plastic?

Thanks

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #8 of 9 Old May 10th, 2011, 10:32 pm

I bought one of these mirrors a little over a year ago. The silver one. When I put it on the paint matched nearly perfectly and it fit pretty well. I believe the mounting points are plastic just like the originals. The paint is not nearly as good as BMW's and mine has now changed color to something different and darker then the Titan Silver the rest of my bike is. This Arizona sun usually fades paint fairly quickly, but the BMW stuff looks brand new.

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Jump starting this thread again about Chinese knock off mirrors for the LT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6366&viewitem=

I know people don't like them just because they are Chinese, but I think I would rather have matching mirrors than what I have now.

I recently replaced my left mirror with a new one from Re-psychle parts. They don't have anymore. My right mirror mount is now broken and barely hanging on.

1. Other than being foreign (Chinese) made to be installed on a (foreign) K1200LT, is there any comments by owners/buyers of these mirrors regarding quality, service, applicability, etc?

2. Do the painted pieces come off the same as the OEM pieces?

3. Are the mounting points the same type and design as OEM? or plastic?

Thanks

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #9 of 9 Old May 11th, 2011, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
I bought one of these mirrors a little over a year ago. The silver one. When I put it on the paint matched nearly perfectly and it fit pretty well. I believe the mounting points are plastic just like the originals. The paint is not nearly as good as BMW's and mine has now changed color to something different and darker then the Titan Silver the rest of my bike is. This Arizona sun usually fades paint fairly quickly, but the BMW stuff looks brand new.

Dale

Dale, Which mirror did you replace...right or left...with the Chinese Titan Silver?

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in