The New LTs? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old May 18th, 2010, 10:37 am Thread Starter

The New LTs?

I have to ask if anyone here knows. Has BMW ever thought about doing a Diesel Engine for the LT line? They are the leader in Diesel Cars and I would be interested in something like this. You would not have to worry about the mileage any more and it would last even longer than its gas counterpart. If there is any company out there that can do it, it is BMW. This is something I have been thinking about for a while and had to ask about...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old May 18th, 2010, 10:41 am

Re: The New LTs?

Diesel bikes are out there (http://www.dieselbike.net). Not sure if BMW is considering a concept. The big problem isn't the technology (obviously), its rider acceptance. IMO.

Jeff

2006 K1200LT, Metallic Blue
post #3 of 31 Old May 18th, 2010, 10:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Diesel engines tend to be much heavier due to compression/strength requirements and stink. I have to admit, I don't want a heavier bike or one that smells like jet A or Diesel.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold

post #4 of 31 Old May 18th, 2010, 10:57 am

reply in jest...

it could mean acceptance of the LT *FOGGER* system so well known for parking the bike on its side stand....

maybe a dual speed rear end... MAke MINE a 10 speed!

ok ok..
but if it wouldnt clatter, like the old diesels, and not have a vertical stacks out back, or a urea based capture system to change.
hmmmm.

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #5 of 31 Old May 18th, 2010, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

I will tell you this. If those Clowns in Washington, DC. pass that Energy Bill -"Cap and Trade"- I won't care what my bike smells like, sounds like, how heavy it is, or anything. We in this Country will be facing $5.00 to $10.00 a gallon gas prices. So I would like to see BMW do a Concept Diesel Bike now so they can work all the bugs out now. I just think that is a Great Idea and would Love to see it.

post #6 of 31 Old May 18th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Dieselcars are very popular here in europe. In some european countries they are selling more cars with diesel than gasoline engine.

I´m sure that they have thought about using diesel on a motorcycle-motor. But maybe they are putting focus on something new; hybrid, electricity/batteries, biogas. Diesel-engine is much heavier which also matters when talking about motorcycles.

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #7 of 31 Old May 18th, 2010, 1:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin1970
I have to ask if anyone here knows. Has BMW ever thought about doing a Diesel Engine for the LT line? They are the leader in Diesel Cars and I would be interested in something like this. You would not have to worry about the mileage any more and it would last even longer than its gas counterpart. If there is any company out there that can do it, it is BMW. This is something I have been thinking about for a while and had to ask about...
I'll stand corrected, but I doubt most folks worry about the engine life of their LTs.

Of all the things that we have problems with (slave seal, shift linkage, Final Drive), the engine is not an issue. 200k not a problem with the LTs engin without a tear down.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #8 of 31 Old May 18th, 2010, 9:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Diesel engines tend to be much heavier due to compression/strength requirements and stink. I have to admit, I don't want a heavier bike or one that smells like jet A or Diesel.

I like the smell of Jet A in the morning, but I agree that I do not want any more weight!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 31 Old May 18th, 2010, 11:48 pm
Sit

http://www.dieselmotorfiets.nl/

I'd buy it just for the sound of the motor. Kind of reminds me of an old jeep.
post #10 of 31 Old May 19th, 2010, 10:56 am

Diesel fuel won't curb the appetite for oil. It takes the same to make either gasoline or diesel, and in Europe diesel is much cheaper than gasoline only because it is taxed at a much lower rate, hence all the turbo diesel engines.
Interestingly enough over 75% of Paris taxi cabs are Mercedes diesel with a manual transmission.
Hey, if you want to reduce dependency on foreign oil by 10% or more we should all drive sticks instead of automatic transmissions. Added benefits would include less people texting, eating, or doing their nails while driving a stick. I know...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 31 Old May 19th, 2010, 11:45 am

Well, I just took delivery on the new K1800LT based on the "Concept 6" motor. Freaking Awesome! This thing screams, and has all the comfort of my old K1200LT plus more. Plug-in for my i-pod, heated everything, the stock seat is better than the custom made that I had on the K1200LT. WOW! I love this bike. I got the extended warranty so no worries about 1st year model issues.....
I don't have any more time to post about my new bike right now, I'm going for a ride.
post #12 of 31 Old May 19th, 2010, 11:54 am

WTF? really????

the new LT is out. Charlie, don't play with us.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #13 of 31 Old May 19th, 2010, 12:25 pm

Charlie are you doing the old oil spill trick again !!!! !!!

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #14 of 31 Old May 19th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Who is Charlie fooling? Me thinks he would be tearing into the new final drive for a pre-ride examination...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #15 of 31 Old May 19th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
WTF? really????

the new LT is out. Charlie, don't play with us.
Well, actually...... I got tired of the diesel LT concept and thought I'd throw something else into the mix. I mean, seriously, a diesel LT?
My New Holland tractor is a diesel, works great. With my Woods 9000 backhoe, that thing really "digs in".
Maybe a diesel GoldWing Interstate-D (for diesel); yeah, that would work.
Or a HD Road Kingdom Super-D (for diesel); hummmm.... I like that even better

Okay, maybe a diesel LT isn't all that ridiculous, but I just don't see the performance; turbo?
post #16 of 31 Old May 19th, 2010, 1:41 pm

We will all be riding the new Honda Cub electric if Big O has his way. Nuf said

Al
Spokane
WA
post #17 of 31 Old May 19th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Well, I just took delivery on the new K1800LT based on the "Concept 6" motor. Freaking Awesome! This thing screams, and has all the comfort of my old K1200LT plus more. Plug-in for my i-pod, heated everything, the stock seat is better than the custom made that I had on the K1200LT. WOW! I love this bike. I got the extended warranty so no worries about 1st year model issues.....
I don't have any more time to post about my new bike right now, I'm going for a ride.
Are snow tires and chains available options now? :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #18 of 31 Old May 20th, 2010, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Look Boys and Girls. All I was saying is that, I feel as if a Diesel Version of the LT would get better MPG. Mine gets about 50 mpg now and if they did a Diesel LT, that might go up to maybe 60 or 70 mpg. Im not saying that for any other reason than that. You know the more MPG you can get, the more $ money $ you can save. I drive a semi for a living and I am around diesels all the time and I am at least open to the idea.

post #19 of 31 Old May 20th, 2010, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Diesel fuel won't curb the appetite for oil. It takes the same to make either gasoline or diesel, and in Europe diesel is much cheaper than gasoline only because it is taxed at a much lower rate, hence all the turbo diesel engines.
Interestingly enough over 75% of Paris taxi cabs are Mercedes diesel with a manual transmission.
Hey, if you want to reduce dependency on foreign oil by 10% or more we should all drive sticks instead of automatic transmissions. Added benefits would include less people texting, eating, or doing their nails while driving a stick. I know...
+ 1 big time!!! Specially on the last sentence!

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #20 of 31 Old May 20th, 2010, 1:24 pm

The Track T-800cdi has replaced the spot on my wish list that the 1150GS used to take. That bike is awesome, have to wait till next year till it becomes available here though (UK)
Ticks all the boxes for me - shaft drive, fuel efficient and versatile - even has better wind protection than the GS AND it sounds like a bike should sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD
Diesel bikes are out there (http://www.dieselbike.net). Not sure if BMW is considering a concept. The big problem isn't the technology (obviously), its rider acceptance. IMO.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #21 of 31 Old May 20th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin1970
Look Boys and Girls. All I was saying is that, I feel as if a Diesel Version of the LT would get better MPG. Mine gets about 50 mpg now and if they did a Diesel LT, that might go up to maybe 60 or 70 mpg. Im not saying that for any other reason than that. You know the more MPG you can get, the more $ money $ you can save. I drive a semi for a living and I am around diesels all the time and I am at least open to the idea.
Want to save money with a motorcycle? Get the tire makers to build a tire that will last like a car tire.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #22 of 31 Old May 20th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree
Want to save money with a motorcycle? Get the tire makers to build a tire that will last like a car tire.
Yeah, I'm really tired of the conspiracy of the motorcycle tire companies building tires that wears out too fast. cheez... they must think we're really dumb to not know they can make a motorcycle tire that will last as long as car tires.
Maybe we should organize a boycott or something?....

post #23 of 31 Old May 20th, 2010, 8:05 pm
CMV

Hey, if you want to reduce dependency on foreign oil by 10% or more we should all drive sticks instead of automatic transmissions.

A lot of newer 6 & 7 speed automatic transmissions have better MPG than their manual counterparts. The new Honda Civics are an example - combined city/highway is 1 mpg better with the auto tranny. 6 cyl Ford Ranger also gets same MPG city & 1 MPG better hwy with auto.

Nowadays the difference is very slim (<1%) on many vehicles.

2003 K1200LT
post #24 of 31 Old May 20th, 2010, 8:36 pm

I agree. New cars (in the last 3-4 years at most) have been designed with far better transmission/engine control systems, so much so that it is doubtful that any normal driver could get better mileage with a manual transmission. So much work has gone into the electronics of both the engine and transmission controls, and programming for better efficiency that it would take a very good and consistent driver to even hope to do better. Even my 10 year old BMW 740il, which is a pretty large, heavy car with a pretty big V8 gets 24+ MPG on the highway. Don't think I would do better if it was a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMV
Hey, if you want to reduce dependency on foreign oil by 10% or more we should all drive sticks instead of automatic transmissions.

A lot of newer 6 & 7 speed automatic transmissions have better MPG than their manual counterparts. The new Honda Civics are an example - combined city/highway is 1 mpg better with the auto tranny. 6 cyl Ford Ranger also gets same MPG city & 1 MPG better hwy with auto.

Nowadays the difference is very slim (<1%) on many vehicles.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #25 of 31 Old May 20th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Charlie!!!! Shame, shame, shame! That was like throwing a hunk of prime beef to starving dogs!!!! Or, better yet, just outside the reach but still in view of starving dogs!

Nobody believed it but everyone wanted to.

Now Charlie! Back to your room and I want you to think about why you should never yell "Fire" in a crowded theater!

Loren

Quote:

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #26 of 31 Old May 21st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Yeah, I'm really tired of the conspiracy of the motorcycle tire companies building tires that wears out too fast. cheez... they must think we're really dumb to not know they can make a motorcycle tire that will last as long as car tires.
Maybe we should organize a boycott or something?....

All we need to do is get over this insane practice of actually making turns or going around curves....but then if we did that we would be riding Harleys.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #27 of 31 Old May 21st, 2010, 4:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Spose you want low speed handling too? Yikes!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #28 of 31 Old May 21st, 2010, 5:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Oh, I dunno, Benny... I was thinking a JetA motor would match the look of the LT better than a diesel..

Have you seen the Jet bike built in my hometown in Louisiana? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFGy-A68_vY

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #29 of 31 Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:44 am
Sit

Granted the current Track is a 800cc motor, but at 100 mpg, that is like double what my LT can get. Yes, the LT is heavier than the Track, but who wouldnt want a motor to haul them around at 100 mpg? Can you imagine going 600 miles between fuel stops!
post #30 of 31 Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:01 pm

Garage

I don't agree on getting similar mileage using modern auto-tranny, as compared to manual shift. maybe only at costant speed on a straight line.

I just changed from a BMW 320d with a 6-speed electronic gearbox, to the same car with manual shift. Both cars were brand new and I used them for one year before changing. Average with auto-tranny was 12-13km per litre of diesel, while I'm doing 16-17 with the stick. I think it's also due to the way I drive, keeping the car at very low revs and using the good torque of the BMW diesel engine. The auto-gearbox won't do that.

I'm interested on the diesel bike concept though, although my 320d engine is filling the bonnet space way more than a 320i engine. Wondering how that difference in size would fit on a bike ...

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #31 of 31 Old May 22nd, 2010, 3:26 pm

ooooooohhhhhhh......I'm droolin'!! A Jet Bike......for a measly $185K.....I may have to wait for a used one to pop up on craigslist for under $20K or just buy the new LT and be happy with that as second best! On the other hand, the reason I don't ride the RS is because I know what I'd be tempted to do every time I get on the bike.....SPEED!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Oh, I dunno, Benny... I was thinking a JetA motor would match the look of the LT better than a diesel..

Have you seen the Jet bike built in my hometown in Louisiana? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFGy-A68_vY

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in