My LT Bottoms-Out On Small Bumps - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 17th, 2010, 9:16 am Thread Starter

My LT Bottoms-Out On Small Bumps

I have a 2005 LT with 8500 miles on it...purchased it in March and have been extremely impressed with the bike. Here is my question: At the end of my driveway, I have a 2" lip to get to the street. Whenever I come back for a ride, I go over the lip and I hear a "thump" from the bike bottoming out. I am 220 lbs and it happens all the time. Any suggestions on this - or is this a normal thing with back shock(s) on an LT?

Thanks guys...

Glenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 17th, 2010, 9:38 am

Re: My LT Bottoms-Out On Small Bumps

Glenn;
I'm about you'r weight and had that problem when I first got my 03.......Lift the drivers seat and check the setting on the rear shock.....the adjustment is visible as soon as you lift the seat. make sure it's screwed in the 3/4 or so level.......if that doesn't work, remove it from the mounting bracket and look on the bottom. You'll see a 'banjo' fitting where the oil is transferred to the shock........carefully remove that fitting and with a hypodermic, or eye dropper OWETF, add a tiny amount of jack oil to top it off.......it won't take much, like maybe a couple of cc's but when you get it back together it will make a difference........

There is a thread here on the forum that describes it in detail.......for instance........make sure you unscrew the adjustment completely before removing the bolt that holds on the banjo fitting.......also, when you get it off, you will need to poke a piece of wood dowel inside and compress the piston all the way back before trying to refill with oil...........theres probably a couple things I'm missing here so I recommend you look up the article in HOW on the site or
post #3 of 16 Old May 17th, 2010, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight. I do have the adjustment 3/4 - full. I will look online for the details of the fix.

THANKS!

Glenn

post #4 of 16 Old May 17th, 2010, 10:37 am

Just in case you didn't find it - http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8406
Works wonders

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old May 18th, 2010, 7:14 am

Adding the oil to the shock adjuster will make a huge difference in how much pre-load you will get. IIRC it only takes about 5 cc's of oil to fill it up.

Really quick fix too.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 16 Old May 18th, 2010, 7:41 am

http://members.cox.net/slartidbartfa.../shock-oil.htm

Here is a good link about it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #7 of 16 Old May 18th, 2010, 7:58 am
cws

Garage

and as the notes say... take great care when unscrewing the banjo fitting!! There's a couple of little special copper (?) washers that will fall out very quickly and drop into the mainframe area... one of mine landed on top of the rear drive and it took me about 20 minutes to find it, got lucky just running my fingers over the drive and felt it... but for the life of me ccouldn't see it!
It does seem to make a difference though adding the extra oil...

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #8 of 16 Old May 18th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
It does seem to make a difference though adding the extra oil...
CAUTION! This is a hijacking!

Not near as much as replacing the stock shocks with a new pair of Ohlins! The cost is slightly higher than a bottle of hydraulic jack oil, however.

My mom's driveway has a peak at the end where it meets the curb. Before the Ohlins, my centerstand would drag and I had to cross the peak at about a 45 degree angle. After the Ohlins, there is a little more ground clearance and I can cross the peak at 90 degrees. I'm not sure how much ground clearance I gained. We didn't do before and after measurements. Add quite a bit more lean when on the sidestand.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #9 of 16 Old May 18th, 2010, 7:44 pm

Lee;

you pretty dog gone funny...................
post #10 of 16 Old May 18th, 2010, 7:47 pm

THANK YOU! I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip over your waitress!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #11 of 16 Old May 19th, 2010, 12:23 am
cws

Garage

Well, maybe for some of us, no amount of extra oil will make a diffrence..... Too many of Mom's cookies?
(Sorry, couldn't resist). ;-p

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 16 Old May 19th, 2010, 12:54 am

Mine also did that when the dealer put the incorrect tire on the rear.
The size and load range rating is on a small sticker under the seat.
post #13 of 16 Old May 25th, 2010, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

I cannot believe such a small amout of hydaulic oil made that much of a difference but the process worked as outlined on the forum. The only issue was getting the screw unloose on the bottom of the banjo connector (if that is the correct name of it). The screw did leak a tad bit of oil on the first pass so please note that you need to really crank down hard on the screw.

Overall, it was like riding a different bike as I noticed a remarkable difference in the handling of it.

Thank you all for your help.

Glenn

PS I tried pushing down inside the adjuster but didn't notice anything that moved.
post #14 of 16 Old May 26th, 2010, 8:00 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_nj
PS I tried pushing down inside the adjuster but didn't notice anything that moved.
Interesting, mine "popped" in about 5-10mm (1/4 in) when I pushed down on it before topping up.
Bahh to the naysayers.. we know it works (and I cant afford Ohlins yet...)

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 16 Old May 26th, 2010, 9:50 am

I read the forum and immediately knew something was wrong on my bike. The adjustor would crank down almost to the bottom before any resistance occurred. I took it off per the instructions provided on this forum and when I pushed down on the inside of the cylinder it depresses at least an inch and a half. It held quite a bit of oil. I also filled the hose with a syringe as previously mentioned. I have yet to take the bike out but I am certain I will be able to tell the difference. Thanks for the info!!

2000 K1200LTI
post #16 of 16 Old May 29th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPearson
I read the forum and immediately knew something was wrong on my bike. The adjustor would crank down almost to the bottom before any resistance occurred. I took it off per the instructions provided on this forum and when I pushed down on the inside of the cylinder it depresses at least an inch and a half. It held quite a bit of oil. I also filled the hose with a syringe as previously mentioned. I have yet to take the bike out but I am certain I will be able to tell the difference. Thanks for the info!!
my 2002 did-does the same thing but not every time,,i had already added oil to the ajuster a few months back,,so after i but my front tire back on i was lifting the front off the ground and letting bang back down....and the thump returned i found the front shock lower bolt was a little loose ,tighted it up no more thumping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in