Anyone buy the RT and now wished they bought the LT or vice-versa? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 16th, 2010, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Anyone buy the RT and now wished they bought the LT or vice-versa?

I bought the 2009 LT last summer and love the bike. I was actually planning to get the RT, but after my wife test road both, she wanted the LT for her comfort, as we were planning to do a lot of touring. Well, as you guessed it, so far, not much touring has been done. I end up riding a lot alone and now wonder if I might have liked the RT better, even though I do love riding the LT. Anyone else in here experience anything similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 16th, 2010, 10:32 am

Re: Anyone buy the RT and now wished they bought the LT or vice-versa?

Had an RT and an LT, both were great bikes but like yourself I ended up riding alone. Glad I rode and ended up with a GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R1200GSA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #3 of 15 Old May 16th, 2010, 10:40 am
cwo

I usually ride one up and have both RT and LT. The RT is more fun, but I can't ride as far without getting wore out. LT is more comfortable... period. LT is top heavy and requires my full attention in the parking lots. After reading about it here, I removed the trunk from the LT. It makes a huge difference in the "top heavy" department, and is almost as much fun as the RT. If you get a chance, try the LT without the trunk.

If I had to have just one bike (but I'd sell the house first) ...... the LT would be my choice.... but that's just one ol-farts opinion.

Last edited by cwo; May 16th, 2010 at 12:54 pm.

post #4 of 15 Old May 16th, 2010, 6:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
I usually ride one up and have both RT and LT. The RT is more fun, but I can't ride as far without getting wore out. LT is more comfortable... period. LT is top heavy and requires my full attention in the parking lots. After reading about it here, I removed the trunk from the LT. It makes a huge difference in the "top heavy" department, and is almost as much fun as the RT. If you get a chance, try the LT without the trunk.

If I had to have just one bike (but I'd sell the house first) ...... the LT would be my choice.... but that's just one ol-farts opinion.
+1. Nice to have both for their own strengths.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #5 of 15 Old May 16th, 2010, 7:45 pm

Try the K1200RLT
My wife and I try to go on a week long tour once a year ( if we can ), and for that I install the topcase for the storage that it provides, and the back support for her.
But most of the miles I put on are from commuting to work & back, and weekend rides. For that I almost always have the topcase removed. It knocks 36 lbs right off the top.
Add a Ft Worth rack & Cortech sport bag, and what you've got is a K1200RLT. ( or maybee SLT )
She's still big and beautiful, but not quite as heavy....it makes a difference.
post #6 of 15 Old May 16th, 2010, 10:56 pm
CMV

Any of you guys have pics of your LTs with the top cases removed?

2003 K1200LT
post #7 of 15 Old May 17th, 2010, 12:05 am

I feel your pain too. I have both the RT and LT. The RT is for my one up duties due to the wife's dislike of the shortage of space. The LT came to the garage after I left my wife standing in the driveway while I went to Death Valley alone after she refused to go with me. Upon my return, she went with me to the local dealer and saw the LT on the showroom and told me to get it so she could ride with me. The rest is history. My favorite bike is the one I'm on. They're both great bikes but for really pushing it hard and dragging my knees, the RT is the weapon of choice. Of course, I dogged a Miata most the way down the mountain from Deal's Gap back to the lake. About 8 miles into the run, he gave up and waved me by. I was dragging the plastic and footpegs and the LT never felt unstable or out of place. As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's a BMW, you didn't go wrong.
post #8 of 15 Old May 17th, 2010, 12:54 am
Gold Supporter

Garage

I had an 02 and an 06 LT. Sold them both and then went to the Honda ST 1300. Goobs of power but the heat issue is real. I sold the ST and went with an 05 RT because I thought I did not need the big ol work horse. I just sold the RT and went back to an LT. This bike just sings to me. I could never get over the sewing machine sound of the RT. At 5k to 7k RPM I just get goose bumps on the LT. I had to take a blood oath by bike hopping days are over. I feel like I'm home again.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #9 of 15 Old May 17th, 2010, 4:38 pm

I just read the review of the 2010 RT in Motorcyclist mag, and now am thinking that I might want one of them (instead or in addition...hard to tell).

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #10 of 15 Old May 17th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydude
I had to take a blood oath by bike hopping days are over.

Yeah. I know what you mean........I'm already feeling the urge for a new one, but there's no way I'm bringing that up this year.......

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #11 of 15 Old May 18th, 2010, 1:13 pm

I am also lucky enough to have both. It all gets down to what style of riding you prefer. I'm partial to long distance riding and would therefore chose the LT if I could only have one. Both bikes are great and capable of long or short rides. The LT is a tad more comfortable for distance, the RT being lighter has some advantage for sporty riding. It's a tough call to be sure.
post #12 of 15 Old May 18th, 2010, 7:57 pm

K1200RLT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01550.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	27439  

Last edited by rhawk; May 18th, 2010 at 8:05 pm.
post #13 of 15 Old May 18th, 2010, 8:26 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk
K1200RLT
Yep, getting ready to go topless myself. I like it, K1200RLT

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #14 of 15 Old May 20th, 2010, 5:22 pm

I orginally went looking for a RT but could not find one wih in my budger. The dealer made me a offer on the LT that I could not refuse. I went into the purchase thinking that the LT was to heavy and to tall but thought that I would get used to it in time. Well that did not happen. After dropping it to many times I got rid of it.

The other thing that took me by surprise was the cost of having the LT serviced. I am one of those that it is cheaper for me to have someone else due the service.

Rusty Snyder
post #15 of 15 Old May 20th, 2010, 7:46 pm
CMV

Your neighbors have lots of trash.

2003 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in