LT trunk latch repair - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 14th, 2010, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

LT trunk latch repair

I currently have ordered the replacement latch for the K1200 trunk latch from LTtrunklatch.com. Currently the parts are being manufactured as we speak. I was hoping to find out what the new status for shipment is as the web page has a 4/20/10 message.

I have already followed the directions and removed the old latch and just waiting for the parts to install the new latch.

Thanks for a wonderful fix for poor design by BMW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 15th, 2010, 11:00 am

Re: LT trunk latch repair

I'm ON IT!! Still. Sorry it's taken as long as it has! Jury duty, accounting, machine coolant was bad and needed refreshing...all sortsa stuff!!

But I'm quite happy to say that BIG progress is being made! Pics to follow later today!

Soon, very soon!

Best,
Evan
post #3 of 11 Old May 15th, 2010, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletsGalore
I'm ON IT!! Still. Sorry it's taken as long as it has! Jury duty, accounting, machine coolant was bad and needed refreshing...all sortsa stuff!!

But I'm quite happy to say that BIG progress is being made! Pics to follow later today!

Soon, very soon!

Best,
Evan
And worth the wait, I might add!!

Hey Evan - sounds like you need a valet, a body double, or a stand-in or sumbody?!!

post #4 of 11 Old May 16th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Hey Dick,

How are you guys doing? I hope you're good as gold over there! Miss y'all....You keeping up with Eddie B.? Last I spoke with him, he's building another hot rod.

OK guys, I tried putting up a bunch of IN-PROCESS pics of your product being manufactured and ran into hassles with online photo-hosting BS! I'll upload them to MY website space before dawn tomorrow and figure out how to get 'em posted up here....quite interesting and entertaining stuff, in MY opinion! Gotta go, finishing the last of this first 'partial batch' of 30 units....then sanding, vibratory deburring, priming, painting, boxing, and SHIPPING!!

It's coming, I promise ya! I'll open up the "ordering" section of the website within 1-2 days so I can get an idea of how many of each color to paint....

THANK Y'ALL (Texas slang for You All [a lot of French people order these] ) for your continued patience! SOON!! Gotta go...Thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old May 17th, 2010, 9:19 am

I hope I don't get in trouble with the site administrators for posting these pics.

This is after the first operation that prepares the aluminum slabs for fixturing on the "tombstone" that is connected to the 4th axis rotary table. The rotary table axis allows machining of the backside of the handle (5 at a time), then is programmed to rotate 90 degrees so that milling, drilling, and tapping is accomplished on the sides of the parts. After the 1st operation of preparation:

Here are 2 slabs that have had a bunch of material removed:

Now, the third and final fixturing setup entails specially designed fixtures that clamp the slabs down. There is a 17/32" hole through the lock barrel region and one 17/64" hole on each side of the part. The pictures will show you how the parts are clamped:

Now that the slabs are rigidly clamped, a milling cutter separates the parts and cuts the perimeter profile:

Followed by a cool "inverted" radius cutter to machine a radius on the UNDERSIDE of the handle:

Rough machining of the complex curved surface that matches the contour of the trunk body:

Final machining cut:

The surface is machined with a ball-end milling cutter that moves over in small (.020") increments to form the surface curvature. Here is the result before I sand that surface:

Pile of 30:

Next stop, Vibratory Deburring:

Last edited by BilletsGalore; May 17th, 2010 at 9:50 am.
post #6 of 11 Old May 17th, 2010, 9:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Impressive, thanks for posting the pics.

dan
post #7 of 11 Old May 17th, 2010, 10:39 am

And I thought you just waved your hands magically to make my replacement part last year. Very impressive. Thank you again for a great product.

Glenn
VA Beach

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #8 of 11 Old May 17th, 2010, 10:51 am

Simply amazing.....great job....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #9 of 11 Old May 17th, 2010, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the picutres. I really like seeing the process of how this kit is made. I am waiting for one of those finished units. I have already removed the latch and have it sitting on my workbench. Once the kit is here good by bunge cords.

Thanks for the updates/
post #10 of 11 Old May 17th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletsGalore
Hey Dick,

How are you guys doing? I hope you're good as gold over there! Miss y'all....You keeping up with Eddie B.? Last I spoke with him, he's building another hot rod.
Slight thread hi-jack.

Edit: damn fat fingers!! Anyway, wanted to say thank you for the pics, Evan. Very impressive!

I have Sunday breakfast with Vernon and Wally (Eddie's bros) pretty often - they're all fine. Eddie still lives in the hot rod 50s!!
post #11 of 11 Old May 17th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Dang! You gotta be making these pictures up! W a a a y y y y beyond the ability of a healthcare worker to understand how all that stuff works.

Sure is perty though.

Thanks for sharing!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in