Trunk latch fixed. Looks and works good. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 12th, 2010, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Trunk latch fixed. Looks and works good.

I got my trunk latch fixed and it turned out really well. This is long and may be hard to understand but here we go,I am going to say upfront I have access to a milling machine that made this allot easier so be prepared. After removing the latch assembly and disassembling it,I first took the broken arms and hack-sawed the small broken latch cover pieces off. Save these. Then make the little aluminum brackets in the photo and diagram, do not drill the holes in the edge of the new bracket yet.I forgot to say the brackets are made out of .250 thick aluminum. If needed dremel the latch cover down smooth were it broke so the bracket will lay flat on edge directly over were the original arm broke off. Hold new piece square to bracket and scribe a line on the old latch cover down both sides of the new bracket and up the 90 degree tab. Do left and right sides. Use a dial caliber to measure were to drill holes in the cover. Drill holes for #8 screws in the center of the scribe marks. Next place new bracket back on latch cover aligned with scribe marks and scribe the screw holes on new bracket edge. Drill and tap the new bracket holes to #8-32. Next screw the brackets to the cover. Take the little broken pieces you saved and slide them into were they broke off. You will probably have to dremel some material off the broken pieces to get them to lay in place well. When you get them to fit well take the new brackets back off and coat them with a anti stick substance such as cooking spray. Reinstall them. Epoxy the pieces that you saved on the cover were they belong. Use plenty of epoxy on both sides and all edges of the crack. Let dry over night and file and sand all exposed surfaces smooth. Paint cover and install. I tapped the top three holes and the top two on the side of the plastic bracket to 6mm-1.00. Using pan head bolts instead of rivets to reattach plastic bracket.You will have to drill holes bigger in the aluminum latch bar and trunk for bigger screws. Used #10-24 bolts for bottom two holes. I had to lightly file the latch arms as it now latches very tight. Pictures will help a lot. I know this fix is not for most people but thought I would share anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Trunk Latch 01.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	716.8 KB
ID:	27359   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Trunk Latch 12.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	726.0 KB
ID:	27360   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Trunk Latch 14.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	859.5 KB
ID:	27361   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Trunk Latch 16.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	844.5 KB
ID:	27362   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Trunk Latch 17.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	741.3 KB
ID:	27363  

Last edited by sodbuster; May 12th, 2010 at 8:54 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 14th, 2010, 9:39 am

Re: Trunk latch fixed. Looks and works good.

Nice work! A hell of a lot of work, no doubt! But you did it yourself, bravo!
post #3 of 6 Old May 14th, 2010, 10:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Very nicely done, sir. Too bad BMW didn't think like you when they were designing the OE latch.

post #4 of 6 Old May 16th, 2010, 1:55 am

Nice repair. Stronger than mine Iím sure. I have a lathe & milling machine & if mine breaks again Iíll do a better fix also. This was how I fixed mine. My latch broke off differently than yours. The upper right arm broke off the whole corner of the latch paddle. After disassembling the latch mechanism I turned a rod in my lathe to use as an alignment tool & glued the piece back on with a 2 part epoxy (like J-B weld) See pictures #4 & 5. Then I dremel ground the black finish off the back where I was going to brace the broken piece. I cut some pieces of thin aluminum angle from an old storm door to use as buttress pieces & laminated them in with epoxy. (I sanded them to remove the anodized finish) My photo record of this fix is not too good so I drew an illustration of the buildup. (Freehand, so cut me some slack) The illustration just shows how the pieces were cut & set in. It doesnít represent the Epoxy (J-B) between each layer & it sure isnít to scale. Also I troweled a nice layer of epoxy over the whole laminate with a good fillet at the base. Picture #6 shows a couple of the aluminum pieces before glueing & picture #7 shows the first of 3 layers set in. After the epoxy cured, I sanded the bead of epoxy off of the side that shows & used surfacing primer to smooth it further then finish painted. Picture #8 is after the fix. I think itís as strong as before it broke (which probably isn't saying much) so now I push down on the trunk lid when opening & closing to take the strain off of the latches as they cam over. Itís been over a year & so far havenít had any more trouble.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	27372   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	27373   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	27374   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	27375   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	27376  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	27377   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	27378   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	27379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Illustration.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	27380  

Robert Gillis
KE0AK

'05 K1200LT - Gold
'02 K1200LT - Champagne
'96 R1100RT - Silver
'95 R1100GS - Fire Engine Red
'83 R100RS - Pearl White (for now)

MOA# 153816
post #5 of 6 Old May 16th, 2010, 8:07 am Thread Starter

Robt, The corners of my what you call latch paddle broke off just like yours did.On both sides. I cut the arm off of the little broken corner and glued the corner back on. Buy the way I think your fix has got to be way stronger than stock.
I was thinking the other day and I hope we are not offending the couple of guys who make the very nice replacement handles.I think those billet handles are amazing and I do understand why they cost what they do. I am just cheap and like to do repairs myself when possible.
post #6 of 6 Old May 16th, 2010, 8:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster
Robt, The corners of my what you call latch paddle broke off just like yours did.On both sides. I cut the arm off of the little broken corner and glued the corner back on. Buy the way I think your fix has got to be way stronger than stock.
I was thinking the other day and I hope we are not offending the couple of guys who make the very nice replacement handles.I think those billet handles are amazing and I do understand why they cost what they do. I am just cheap and like to do repairs myself when possible.
YEAH!! You guys KNOCK IT OFF with those "home remedies"!! Cheapskates!! Just kidding, it's all good!! Nice work, guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in