Need the experts and long time owners... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Need the experts and long time owners...

Hello all...

So far, so good and I am falling in love with my new (used) bike...

I gave her a name, "Serenity", replacing my long time ride, Priscilla.

OK, first, the likes and dislikes before I can ask questions...

- It's a BMW K1200LTe, nuff said. Actually, love the comments on it.
- The MPG and seeing it in real time, very cool, as well as the range it can go per tank.
- The gadgets, buttons and electric windshield (it's practical too).
- The smooth shifting and not the "CLUNK" I use to have on my old ride.
- Heated Seats and Handgrips - Learned a lesson last October riding through the desert on a Goldwing, thank God I had them then too!

Dislikes
- The stereo has 8 speakers but a little underpowered
- The stock sidestand seems short and it's not as forgiving to park in less than ideal areas.
- The center stand is too easy to put the bike up on and just as easy to roll forward and fall over as a result. I read threads in here of people who have had that happen to and I just experienced it while parking in a field, on grass, where it sunk in and didn't clear enough to be in proper position.
- The stock seat. I know what they were going for here, but the lumbar seems low and the inner leg padding could have been a bit thicker, holding one in like a saddle.
- The highbeam - It doesn't seem that bright at all.
- Buzziness around 100mph. My old bike pulled to 130 before there was nary a shake.
- The windshield - good at 2/3 to max. raised position, not as much cover as my old.
- SQUEAKY rear brake... like nails on a chalkboard...

So, I'm not bitchin' and moanin' here, just comparing to what I am use to.

My questions are this...

- Can the stereo be upgraded, speakers changed or amplified?
- What recommendations on windshield? I am thinking Cee Bailey +2" (I'm 6', 31-32" inseam)
- Seat enhancements - Change it out (Corbin, Russell) or get a pad (Airhawk, beads)?
- Side stand - I don't plan on changing out the rear shock, but I was thinking of getting another side stand that I can cut (1/2 - 1") and keep the original, in case I ever do.
- Center stand - Would it pay to upgrade to a newer, motorized one from the next generation of bikes or just live with it?
- Buzziness - Normal, in need of tune up or pre-cursor to a drive shaft or some other component which might fail in the near future? I did put Grip Puppies on for comfort and covering splits in the original rubber grips.
- Replace brake pad, rotor or both? I was thinking EBC sintered pads first remedy.

I truly thank you in advance!!!

Last edited by JackConner; May 12th, 2010 at 11:00 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 11:07 am

Re: Need the experts and long time owners...

Congrats on the new scoot.

The stock windshield is pretty good, but the Cee Bailey's +2 is better than stock and will offer more wind protection. I would stay away from the VStream, but some people like it.

The side stand is functional, even if it feels weak. Make sure you leave it in gear when you park it. I wouldn't bother upgrading the center stand, I don't know of anyone who did that. You need to trust the side stand.

The rear brake noise is common on these bikes, I believe you'll need to replace the rotors. I've had the rear brake noise since I owned the bike and it doesn't bother me.

02 LT
post #3 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 11:13 am

- Can the stereo be upgraded, speakers changed or amplified? I have an intercom system with speakers in my helmet so I don't have that problem
- What recommendations on windshield? I am thinking Cee Bailey +2" (I'm 6', 31-32" inseam) You did not specify if you have the stock or Euro style windshield, but I would recommend a Cee Bailey - 2 instead of + 2 or you will never be able to look over the shield. See if someone can lend you one to try.
- Seat enhancements - Change it out (Corbin, Russell) or get a pad (Airhawk, beads)?Agreed! I have a Rick Mayer leather seat and love it. You should also look at the Kontour seat.
- Side stand - I don't plan on changing out the rear shock, but I was thinking of getting another side stand that I can cut (1/2 - 1") and keep the original, in case I ever do. It sounds like your rear shock is worn out. Messing with the sid and center stands is not going to solve anything; you still need to replace your shock.
- Center stand - Would it pay to upgrade to a newer, motorized one from the next generation of bikes or just live with it? I would advise against it. My 05 is on her 3 hydraulic system... Your issue is linked to a worn out rear shock; replacing the center stand is NOT going to fix that.
- Buzziness - Normal, in need of tune up or pre-cursor to a drive shaft or some other component which might fail in the near future? I did put Grip Puppies on for comfort and covering splits in the original rubber grips. Not sure if you are talking a handling issue or a vibration. Tires do play an important role, so check for cupping, air pressure, etc... Grip puppies are sure nice!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 11:17 am

I'm 6' and 32" inseam and have the Cee Baileys +2 - it's a perfect fit IMHO

You'll have to search to find the info, but I replaced all of my speakers with Polk Audio component speakers. You'll have to do quite a bit of surgery but it was worth the change. The stereo itself is still kinda wimpy, but the Polks cleaned up the sound immensely. They are also marine rated. Others have changed out the head unit, but I have not seen an installation yet that I would consider 'clean'.

Don't bother with the centerstand, just take it apart and lube it up. Same with the sidestand, and as Caveno said, always leave her in gear when parking.

Change out your low beam to a DDM Tuning 35W HID unit. You won't even need a high beam any more. If you are changing speakers, do this at the same time when the nose will be off.

Don't have an idea what the buzziness is - how are your tires? Any scalloping? Mine's smooth as silk at 100 mph - but she's starting to rev a bit there.

I replaced my rear pads/rotor with EBC and no complaints whatsoever. Occiasional squeak when she's been sitting for a few days, but certainly not the embarassment the OEM pads/rotor was.

I have an OEM seat and used a beadrider last summer going to Alaska and back - a great investment, although a Russell or other custom seat would probably be a big benefit - I'm just too cheap and have a very sturdy a$$

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

Last edited by VRodPete; May 12th, 2010 at 11:39 am.
post #5 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 11:36 am

The great thing about this bike is that it has been about for long enough for people to have researched workarounds pr made solutions to all those problems:

The stereo has 8 speakers but a little underpowered
Do you ride with ear pluigs? Sounds strange but I hear it fine WITH ear plugs blocking winf noise

- The stock sidestand seems short and it's not as forgiving to park in less than ideal areas.
You will soon learn where it is safe to park. In all the years I have had mine I have never had too much of a problem

- The center stand is too easy to put the bike up on and just as easy to roll forward and fall over as a result. I read threads in here of people who have had that happen to and I just experienced it while parking in a field, on grass, where it sunk in and didn't clear enough to be in proper position.
Side stand for grass and good block of wood to keep her from sinking

- The stock seat. I know what they were going for here, but the lumbar seems low and the inner leg padding could have been a bit thicker, holding one in like a saddle.
Many aftermarket seats available. Do a long ride and see wher part starts to hurt. I find a beaded seat is all I need on the stock one

HID or side lights

- Buzziness around 100mph. My old bike pulled to 130 before there was nary a shake.
It could never be described as a quiet bike. If it is the plastics that are rattling, use some sticky foam

- The windshield - good at 2/3 to max. raised position, not as much cover as my old.
Loads of after-market ones

- SQUEAKY rear brake... like nails on a chalkboard..
MORE COWBELL. See previous posters reply

Check out the hall of fame and FAQs on this site and even the search. Many hours of fun you will have deciding where to spend your money on which gadget to make this bike just right for you

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #6 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 1:20 pm

My questions are this...

- What recommendations on windshield? I am thinking Cee Bailey +2" (I'm 6', 31-32" inseam)
Have two (2) Cee Baileys (+2 & +4) and a ZTechnik.
Using the CB +2, year-round.
I can see over the windshield and provide good protection in rain.
Though not as good rain protection as the +4.

- Side stand - I don't plan on changing out the rear shock, but I was thinking of getting another side stand that I can cut (1/2 - 1") and keep the original, in case I ever do.
[I]You can put on a sidestand foot for a larger footprint and a slight increase in depth.
When I changed out the stock shocks for Ohlins,
it raised the bike up so the sidestand was now too short.
I made a 2" thick foot out of a small block of wood
and attached a tether (for deployment and recovery).
Stays in the left pocket of my tank bag for easy access.
Tried a 1", but still too short
[I]

- Center stand - Would it pay to upgrade to a newer, motorized one from the next generation of bikes or just live with it?
Don't recommend changing to the motorized stand.
There's no repairing the hydraulic sidestand.
You replace it; they are very expensive.
I've already had to replace the sidestand (wore down half the foot)
and centerstand (broke the crosspiece from dragging) on my 2001 LT

- Buzziness - Normal, in need of tune up or pre-cursor to a drive shaft or some other component which might fail in the near future? I did put Grip Puppies on for comfort and covering splits in the original rubber grips. Have that problem on my GS Adventure, but not on my LT.
post #7 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 4:06 pm

Don't use the stereo, so I'm not good on that but like all sound systems you can certainly find an alternative to the unit and the speakers if you want ot go to the trouble.

The seat I have no real problem with, I've done many 500+ mile days and plenty of 700+ and one 1000 mile day without more than a bit of sweaty buns and some numbness. My legs are more uncomfortable than my rear.

I have a Parabellum windshield. I've had it 5 years and I like it much better than the BMW one. I'd suggest the stock height model. Quieter, clearer, gets better gas mileage too.

Side stand is fine, if you aren't already tilted downhill or have a bick pack on the luggage rack.

Center stand is usually the opposite, that's why they made the power up stand. Just be careful where you park it and carry a board for it or the side stand if you want to park on soft surfaces.

Add driving lights and get a HID for the low beam. You won't really need the high beam, but if you do HID that one too.

Just my $.02

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #8 of 16 Old May 13th, 2010, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

You guys ROCK!

OK, found a deal on a Corbin Comfort seat (with heat) and backrest for $175 so I'm going to jump on it.

Another guy sold me 6 Bosch oil filters, a set of foot pegs, a windshield that is professionally cut 2", a deck that serves to block sunlight from GPS and doubles as a shelf for accessories and an oil filter wrench for$40 so I figured, what the heck.

The center stand I'll have to get use to and will bring the bike over to Kraus at Wilbur USA as he is only 15 minutes up the road from me. I also have the fortunate luck in having found a really excellent long time owner and mechanic for BMW's so I am going to have the bike checked out before I make my cross country trek.

I'll try the EBC pads first, then rotor if that doesn't clear it up enough.

As for the stereo... You have to realize, I had a Sony Xplod rated at 22 rms x 4, kicker rears and this mounted in GIVI 46 liter luggage which made for the best sound and kicking bass. Classical, Jazz and Rock all sounded great and the remote country was the finishing touch when the bike was parked and we were getting ice cream. Once the XM or CD player was turned on, the clarity and loudness was even more amazing. I'll see if I can amp up the system and change out the speakers when I do the front light as recommended.

The reason the slew of questions is that I am making a cross country trip and want to be in check before I do. I am also thinking of going with BT20's front and rear as I've enjoyed them in the past... I forgot to ask for recommendations on that as well.

Thanks again!!!
post #9 of 16 Old May 13th, 2010, 3:06 pm
KJN

You might consider using a sheepskin cover on the Corbin for long distance confort. I use these:

http://www.alaskaleather.com/buttpads.html

Not a lot of $. Love them.

Kimble
2000 K1200LT

Phoenix, AZ
post #10 of 16 Old May 13th, 2010, 3:55 pm

I've got a 'Laminer Lip' on a BMW high screen and it works great and a lot cheaper than a complete screen.
I put a Corbin seat on. Really hard when you jump on, but an all day seat which the original BMW seat is definitely not.
Think twice about the BT020 on the front. Mine's shot at 6,000 miles (12,000 on the previous Metzler) AND the grip was worrying right from the start. See other threads on this. There's a swing towards Avon Storm 2 Ultra's.
post #11 of 16 Old May 13th, 2010, 6:28 pm

I've been running Metzler 880 front and rear..........Tires and oil threads get sort of long winded but there are plenty of them in the archives......you might want to look them over for a little input............I've had better mileage from the Metz but I have to admit, I do like the way the 'Stones' stick......for the longer trip though; Metz..............
post #12 of 16 Old May 14th, 2010, 2:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJN
You might consider using a sheepskin cover on the Corbin for long distance confort. I use these:

http://www.alaskaleather.com/buttpads.html

Not a lot of $. Love them.
Just curious. Did you order a sheepskin for a stock LT seat for your Corbin seat? I have a Corbin and the seams are worn where the legs dangle over. This would be a cheap/comfortable fix.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 16 Old May 14th, 2010, 9:15 am
KJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Just curious. Did you order a sheepskin for a stock LT seat for your Corbin seat? I have a Corbin and the seams are worn where the legs dangle over. This would be a cheap/comfortable fix.
I had a custim seat made and use the large sheepskin cover. The passenger seat is a Corbin with the sheepskin. My wife says it really makes a difference. You might call to make sure, but the sheepskin for the rider seat is wide enough to cover the entire seat and sides.

Kimble
post #14 of 16 Old May 14th, 2010, 11:23 am

Try spraying the back of the pads with Disc Brake Quiet first before changing rotors. When I changed my pads last year, I had a lot of squeaking, sprayed that on the back of the new pads and no noise.
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 11:53 am

for tires try the new bridgestone battleaxe 023's they are the new replacement for the 020/021 series. I just put a set on my lte and they are amazing! I dont have milage yet as this is the 1st set but talk about grip and a fair price....I used the 020 series on my FRZ600 exculsivly (odd tire size and this was the best avalible in the right size) and was very pleased. The rear 023 is a dual compound sport touring tire and the front a single compound. i have no problem grinding my pegs on every turn with full confidence
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 1:15 pm

First, congrats on your new (to you) ride. The more you ride the LT the more you will like it.

I too changed my windshield, but went with a BMW -2. I like the shorter shield (I'm 5'11') because I never have to look "through" it. The shorter shield puts the buffet lower and gives me more airflow during the hot summer months. With it raised, it does provide good weather and cold air protection.

Some have updated their pre 05s to the hydro-electric center stand, but that's a personal choice for you. I get along fine with my old school "foot stomper" but if you really want to upgrade, it can be done.

The side stand has worked good for me so far; the cautions about leaving it in gear are good advice. Also, be sure that you let the clutch out and let the bike roll either back or forward and let the engine catch up with the drivetrain. That way it will hold the bike for you.

There are some inherent vibrations around 5K I think it is. I don't normally run my LT that fast in top gear (the RT is another story). I do know that in my opinion the LT isn't quite as stable at high speed as the RT. But again, that's my opinion only and only tested on my LT. Others will undoubtedly disagree, and they're probably right to do so.

As for the shocks, I found a very affordable solution in keeping the stock shocks and having them rebuilt. I you PM me, I'll send you my information and give you the gory details.

No knowledge on the rear brake. My bike hasn't had any problems yet, but at 84K, it's not yet broken in. ;-)

My LT has the intercom and helmet speakers work great. On the RT, I went with an Autocom system and helmet speakers as well. If you're going to ride much at high speed, probably the speakers in the helmet would be the best solution. There are also earbuds out there and custom molded earplugs that can be plugged into the stereo. Perhaps that would be a good option for you.

Good luck and happy riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackConner
Hello all...

So far, so good and I am falling in love with my new (used) bike...

I gave her a name, "Serenity", replacing my long time ride, Priscilla.

OK, first, the likes and dislikes before I can ask questions...

- It's a BMW K1200LTe, nuff said. Actually, love the comments on it.
- The MPG and seeing it in real time, very cool, as well as the range it can go per tank.
- The gadgets, buttons and electric windshield (it's practical too).
- The smooth shifting and not the "CLUNK" I use to have on my old ride.
- Heated Seats and Handgrips - Learned a lesson last October riding through the desert on a Goldwing, thank God I had them then too!

Dislikes
- The stereo has 8 speakers but a little underpowered
- SQUEAKY rear brake... like nails on a chalkboard...

So, I'm not bitchin' and moanin' here, just comparing to what I am use to.

My questions are this...

- Can the stereo be upgraded, speakers changed or amplified?
- Seat enhancements - Change it out (Corbin, Russell) or get a pad (Airhawk, beads)?
- Buzziness - Normal, in need of tune up or pre-cursor to a drive shaft or some other component which might fail in the near future? I did put Grip Puppies on for comfort and covering splits in the original rubber grips.
- Replace brake pad, rotor or both? I was thinking EBC sintered pads first remedy.

I truly thank you in advance!!!

Last edited by pushin9s; Jun 2nd, 2010 at 1:18 pm. Reason: editorial

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in