ABS integral or not? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 12th, 2010, 8:27 am Thread Starter

ABS integral or not?

Hi guys!

First of all, I tried to find some information at "Hall of W."

Look, my K1200LT is manufactured in autumn 2000. I understood that my bike do not have integral ABS III which came to bikes manufactured in 2001 april or may. I think that my bike has ABS II which means that I have to use the brake-pedal for rearwheel, right?

I was just out on a ride and there on the locket where I hold my wallet under the trip (cassettepalyer): Caution! Integral braking system with electric brake booster

Does this means that I do not have to use the brake pedal at all (if I don´t want to), the system uses both tires when braking ?!

Thanks for you answers!

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 12th, 2010, 10:07 am

Re: ABS integral or not?

I know in Europe that the model years on some BMW were about 1 year ahead of the US. My 2001 does not have the Integral braking system with electric brake booster that came out in 2002 in the US.
But there is an easy way to tell, do you hear a whine sound when applying the brakes. If you have the power assisted brakes you should be able to here the electric whine.
By the way you should still use the rear brake peddle, it will apply much less front brake at first. This may help at slower speeds in not dumping the bike at a stop sign and such.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 5 Old May 12th, 2010, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
But there is an easy way to tell, do you hear a whine sound when applying the brakes. If you have the power assisted brakes you should be able to here the electric whine.
By the way you should still use the rear brake peddle, it will apply much less front brake at first. This may help at slower speeds in not dumping the bike at a stop sign and such.
Hi and thanks for your answer! O yes, I here the electric, high, whine sound always I use the brakes!

Jukka

post #4 of 5 Old May 12th, 2010, 12:09 pm

In the US if the calipers have the word "Brembo" cast into the visible side of the calipers then they are NOT linked. If they say "BMW" they ARE the latest generation are linked.

My '01 has Brembo on the casting, hence they are not linked. From what I've read I think like it this way...........

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 5 Old May 12th, 2010, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

There is BMW on the brake calipers

Funny thing, the "caution"-text does also say "read the manual!" and the manual knows nothing about this...

I downloaded couple of months ago manual för K1200LT 2004-model and that manual had another information than mine for K1200LT 2001. So you can´t consider the manual as Bible..

Jukka

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in