Drink holder choices - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old May 10th, 2010, 4:51 pm Thread Starter
cwo

Drink holder choices

Howdy, I have looking for a drink holder to mount on my LT. I can't justify the high cost for the one that is offered most often. Anyone know of an alternative solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old May 10th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Re: Drink holder choices

Duct tape a dixie cup on the J-pegs..........?................
(just a little levity..............)
post #3 of 37 Old May 10th, 2010, 9:06 pm

I went to a boating store and bought a cup holder that has a suction cup on the bottom. It sticks right on the stingray. Now I do have to stuff some cloth under it to keep it from wobbling too much, but it works great! One thing I am considering and would like to know if anyone else has done it...is mounting water bottle holder to the front of the saddlebags. Anyone drilled them and mounted any? I'd love to see pics if anyone has.

Charles

post #4 of 37 Old May 10th, 2010, 9:12 pm

I bought a liquid caddy drink holder from Bass Pro online.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults
This is actually a pretty incredible item for $20. It comes with 4 different attachment bases, one for a handlebar (2 sizes), one clip base, one velcro strap with rubber backing base, and the suction cup base. The holder is actually well made, with a machine screw attaching device for the cup holder to the base. The forum entry that I initally saw, the LT owner had snaked the velcro strap around the handle bar near the brake reservoir, I tried that, but couldn't get it to go, even at that I was less than impressed with the holder hanging from the handlebar. I later tried the suction cup base on my windshield. those suction cups hold on like gangbusters! Only problems were that it was kind of hokey when I wanted to raise or lower the windshield. Lastly I tried putting the suction cup base on the side of the "gas tank" This has worked out great. It doesn't interfere with my knee when I ride, it doesn't clank around on the handlebar, and I can put it on either side of the bike. Just a little spit on the suction cups, and IT DOES NOT FALL OFF! It is also damn easy to take off and put on. I do it a lot, and it still hangs on at all speeds. I like it, and it really works for me. the holder can also extend from the bottom, to make it deeper for long items like water bottles and my coffee cup. Pretty cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dholder2.jpg
Views:	1468
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	27339   Click image for larger version

Name:	drinkholder.jpg
Views:	2595
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	27340  

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 Old May 10th, 2010, 9:17 pm

I got one off the classifieds, this forum, last Christmas. The factory cup holder is ridiculously priced but it fits so perfectly and is so darn functional it is certainly worth buying one used in perfect condition! I think I paid $90 or $95 USD plus a few bucks shipping.

After having one I would never consider an alternative. Must be like those fancy aftermarkets seats or suspension systems. Ya can't know for sure...... until you try 'em.

I would recommend posting a want ad in the classifieds to see what you come up with.

BTW, If anyone is looking for the PERFECT cup for the BMW cup holder I found it last week. I got it at Starbucks, $12.95 inc. a first drink for free. It looks exactly like their flimsy one-use clear cold drink cup except it is made of hard plastic, has a screw on silicon sealed lid and is insulated by an air space. Fits the cup holder like it was engineered by "Dieter". The cup holder, cup, and modular helmet are the perfect tri-fecta for a well hydrated ride.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #6 of 37 Old May 10th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Rich, great inexpensive solution. Might want to consider a stainless steel tether. Like for the mirrors!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
This is actually a pretty incredible item for $20. It comes with 4 different attachment bases, one for a handlebar (2 sizes), one clip base, one velcro strap with rubber backing base, and the suction cup base. The holder is actually well made, with a machine screw attaching device for the cup holder to the base. The forum entry that I initally saw, the LT owner had snaked the velcro strap around the handle bar near the brake reservoir, I tried that, but couldn't get it to go, even at that I was less than impressed with the holder hanging from the handlebar. I later tried the suction cup base on my windshield. those suction cups hold on like gangbusters! Only problems were that it was kind of hokey when I wanted to raise or lower the windshield. Lastly I tried putting the suction cup base on the side of the "gas tank" This has worked out great. It doesn't interfere with my knee when I ride, it doesn't clank around on the handlebar, and I can put it on either side of the bike. Just a little spit on the suction cups, and IT DOES NOT FALL OFF! It is also damn easy to take off and put on. I do it a lot, and it still hangs on at all speeds. I like it, and it really works for me. the holder can also extend from the bottom, to make it deeper for long items like water bottles and my coffee cup. Pretty cool!

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #7 of 37 Old May 10th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Loren, Don't need a tether, those suction cups hold on better than the mirrors do....just kidding, for the price of one mirror, I could fill all my luggage with cup holders.

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #8 of 37 Old May 10th, 2010, 10:47 pm

http://www.glassact.com/

http://www.glassact.com/galleryBMW.htm

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 37 Old May 11th, 2010, 12:11 am

Don't know what you have to work with but this was my cheap & dirty solution. Bought a bicycle bottle holder @ WalMart for a few bucks & had a short length of solid aluminum rod, 1/2" dia. in my junk pile. I had to turn down the bottom end in the lathe to fit in the mirror mount hole of the grip assembly, but you could do the same thing with a drill press & file. (or just a file for that matter), drilled & tapped that end for a cap bolt & washer to hold from the bottom side, then bent it in my vise, (padded w/leather) to the appropriate angle. Then drilled & tapped the side of the rod to screw the bottle holder to it. It's good enough, for who it's for, as they say.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cuphldr 1.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	27341   Click image for larger version

Name:	cuphldr 2.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	27342  

Robert Gillis
KE0AK

'05 K1200LT - Gold
'02 K1200LT - Champagne
'96 R1100RT - Silver
'95 R1100GS - Fire Engine Red
'83 R100RS - Pearl White (for now)

MOA# 153816
post #10 of 37 Old May 11th, 2010, 12:16 am

Oh yeah?????

Ha! It doesn't have articulating hinges, stainless steel springs, and come across the seas from the fatherland! .

Very nice option, priced virtually half of what the "official" cup holder price point and has a 34 oz option. Very very nice! Does it come in purple (BMW Mauve Mist)?

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #11 of 37 Old May 11th, 2010, 9:00 am

I was looking at the RAM mount that mounts to the clutch master cylinder.....that you can basically attach anything to....does anyone have any experience with those?
And......has anyone mounted any type of drink holder for the passenger? I was thinking of fabbing something up to attach under an armrest?
Any ideas?

'05 Dark Graphite LT - now

In the past......
Gold Wing, R100 GS P/D (I WILL get another GS!) FLHTCUI, ZX-10, CBX , Honda Turbo, Yamaha Venture , 2 Sportsters, Bultaco Astro, Bultaco Pursang , Montesa Capra, Maico 501, Sear Allstate 106
....and a bunch I have forgotten
post #12 of 37 Old May 11th, 2010, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Nice find! Thanku!

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #13 of 37 Old May 11th, 2010, 2:52 pm

I use a master cylinder RAM Mount for my GPS (Brake lever side). I find it to be very stable, flexible, easily adjustable, and reasonably priced. It holds the StreetPilot III with no tendency to move around. Set it and forget it. If you've not seen a StreetPilot III they are very heavy.

I bought mine from GPS City in Las Vegas. Very good service, wide selection, and prompt delivery. When I replace the SPIII I will buy from GPS City and order a selection of RAM Mount arm lengths in order to add further flexibility to the mounting options.

Be sure to check out their Aqua Box mounts. Would be perfect for mounting an automotive GPS on your bike.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by t61vance
I was looking at the RAM mount that mounts to the clutch master cylinder.....that you can basically attach anything to....does anyone have any experience with those?
And......has anyone mounted any type of drink holder for the passenger? I was thinking of fabbing something up to attach under an armrest?
Any ideas?

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #14 of 37 Old May 11th, 2010, 4:52 pm

I have the RAM mount cup holders for both rider and passenger. The ball mount for the rider is on the clutch cover. The ball mount for tha passenger is under the right armrest. Just drilled and tapped to accept 2 bolts. Both are unobtrusive when the cup holders are not in use during daily use. Works for us.
post #15 of 37 Old May 11th, 2010, 6:02 pm

I think I have an extra BMW cup holder in my parts stash in excellent condition. I'll take $95 shipped if anyone wants it. PM me and I'll start hunting for it.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #16 of 37 Old May 11th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by t61vance
Any ideas?
I just purchased the below item with the intent of providing the wife a suitable cup holder. $41 with shipping.

The thought is, the bar clamp is in two pieces, remove one half and tap into the underside of the arm rests. I'll have to remove the padding and maybe remove some material for the screws/bolts. I'll post when I do the mod. its on the way via UPS now. I liked this version, because it removes easily. (the holder not the mount)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KY1487.jpg
Views:	1429
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	27352  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #17 of 37 Old May 12th, 2010, 9:15 am Thread Starter
cwo

Thanks for the Bass Pro idea. I will pick one up today. Olathe is just a few miles from where I live. Thanks again, Chris Ogle

Quote:
post #18 of 37 Old May 12th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
Thanks for the Bass Pro idea. I will pick one up today. Olathe is just a few miles from where I live. Thanks again, Chris Ogle
Thanks to the OP for this idea. Found it for $9.97 (half that price) here:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...7&kwtid=281921
$5.49 shipping

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #19 of 37 Old May 13th, 2010, 11:14 am

Darn it! Nice research, my next one is coming from there!

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #20 of 37 Old May 13th, 2010, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob't
Don't know what you have to work with but this was my cheap & dirty solution. Bought a bicycle bottle holder @ WalMart for a few bucks & had a short length of solid aluminum rod, 1/2" dia. in my junk pile. I had to turn down the bottom end in the lathe to fit in the mirror mount hole of the grip assembly, but you could do the same thing with a drill press & file. (or just a file for that matter), drilled & tapped that end for a cap bolt & washer to hold from the bottom side, then bent it in my vise, (padded w/leather) to the appropriate angle. Then drilled & tapped the side of the rod to screw the bottle holder to it. It's good enough, for who it's for, as they say.
Nice, clean, solution. If I didn't already have a cup holder I'd be heading out to the garage.
post #21 of 37 Old May 14th, 2010, 3:13 am

Quote:
Darn it! Nice research, my next one is coming from there!
I was going to order two from BP. Asked the wife what color she wanted. She saw the $20 and said I don't think it's necessary. (tight ass!) So I said OK, you ain't getting one then. Wait and see, once I get mine and she sees me enjoying it, I'll be ordering another.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

post #22 of 37 Old May 14th, 2010, 8:38 am

When that happens make her pay for the 2nd shipping cost.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #23 of 37 Old May 14th, 2010, 11:02 am

I bought two BP holders. They work better than I expected.

Kaw ZX12R Ninja
05 GS ADV
07 GS ADV- Iron Butt, Copper Canyon
09 LT

Jack
post #24 of 37 Old May 14th, 2010, 1:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
When that happens make her pay for the 2nd shipping cost.
She loves it when I threaten her like that knowing full well that it comes out of the same account. That's why I always have a little 'rat hole' money hidden. She & the boys know that too, but at least I'm in control of that. (well, mostly)

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

post #25 of 37 Old May 19th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Garage

as promised. it took all of 30 min...

With the cup holder removed, the only pcs that are left on the bike. The bolt can be removed as well and kept with the holder when the wife is not on the bike or there is no need for the holder. Just the small braket will be left....

I did put it at an angle (forward) due to an issue with my wifes arm. If you mounted it (and left the bold loose) correctly it will swing. I tightened it down as not to allow movement.

(the wife does not like the twisties, so she will not be on the back when it would need to swing....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2066.JPG
Views:	5220
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	27443   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2067.JPG
Views:	5168
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	27444   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2068.JPG
Views:	5150
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	27445   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2069.JPG
Views:	5659
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	27446   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2070.JPG
Views:	5552
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	27447  

Name:	100_2071.JPG
Views:	4999
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	27448   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2072.JPG
Views:	5076
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	27449  

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; May 19th, 2010 at 6:25 pm.
post #26 of 37 Old May 19th, 2010, 5:40 pm

well did I miss it? where did you get this from Shoswell?

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #27 of 37 Old May 19th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Garage

Post 16 above. Purchased here

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone
well did I miss it? where did you get this from Shoswell?

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #28 of 37 Old May 20th, 2010, 2:12 am

Just go for the BMW custom fit... anything else just looks ghetto. You have a $15k bike, it's worth one more Franklin to be happy and look good doing it.

Someone once told me "you work hard for your money, get what you WANT".

Rick
'05 LT
'01 LT (for parts)

post #29 of 37 Old May 20th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Garage

Well I suppose each to their own, but please let me know when they (BMW) come out with a DH for the pillion... As I have learned with the LT, more often than not to "get what you WANT" entails making, or engineering something to make it work for the application needed... After all we are all riding a "discontinued" bike!

Getto....Oh, I've got to get me some of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBarbecue
Just go for the BMW custom fit... anything else just looks ghetto. You have a $15k bike, it's worth one more Franklin to be happy and look good doing it.

Someone once told me "you work hard for your money, get what you WANT".

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
post #30 of 37 Old May 21st, 2010, 2:33 am

No no no Hoss! You're looking at this all wrong! What you NEED and what you THINK you WANT are 2 different things.

Follow the logic......:

1.) BMW designs and manufactures motorcycles
2.) You don't
3.) Because of their expertise they are much more qualified to determine what is best for you.
4.) They do not have an approved pillion drink cup holder
5.) This is in your best interest

Read on.

Now, this may seem harsh but if you think about it they are right to not make a passenger drink holder! If you have a drink holder for your passenger what are they going to do with it? That's right! They are going to USE IT! Most likely by placing a container holding their favorite non-adult beverage container in the holder. Because it has their favorite beverage they are logically going to DRINK the beverage. This is going to force conversation to take place between you and your passenger re: the need to stop for a potty break. Which in turn shuts down the tunes for the length of the conversation and causes additional rest stops which all leads to messing up your riding schedule.

So, now you know. BMW knows best. They know you don't NEED a passenger cup holder and because of their wisdom they know you don't even WANT a cup holder! Even if you mistakenly think you do.

See how well this works?

And now you know the rest of the story!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Well I suppose each to their own, but please let me know when they (BMW) come out with a DH for the pillion... As I have learned with the LT, more often than not to "get what you WANT" entails making, or engineering something to make it work for the application needed... After all we are all riding a "discontinued" bike!

Getto....Oh, I've got to get me some of that...

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #31 of 37 Old May 21st, 2010, 10:22 am

Loren, You're crackin me up!!

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #32 of 37 Old May 21st, 2010, 1:37 pm

Hoss....well done! Doesn't look ghetto at all.

To comment on MidnightBarbecue's comment "Just go for the BMW custom fit... anything else just looks ghetto. You have a $15k bike, it's worth one more Franklin to be happy and look good doing it." Custom solutions are often the centerpiece of invention, design, and production. Giving in to OEM solutions is sometimes like following the Lemmings off a cliff!

I use a Camelback and no drink holder....I like the security and protection of a full helmet (no flip up/modular....ergo less noise) and can slip the drink tube quite easily up the bottom of the helmet when I want to quench my thirst. Albeit, the Camelback is limited to water only (with lots of ice to keep it cool in the summer), unless you thoroughly wash it out after putting G2/Powerade/or some other sugar water inside....water is all I need. I can wear the Camelback or attach it to or put it in my tank bag (when extended).

I guess this means I follow Loren's logic trail! Ride on!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #33 of 37 Old May 21st, 2010, 2:06 pm

Use a $2.00 modified auto parts store window hanger drink holder on the end snap of my tank bag. Has been 30K + miles with out a spill.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #34 of 37 Old May 21st, 2010, 4:41 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I have to say nice mod for sure. Looks great to me. Sure SO will use and appreciate it also.

I am in the camel back club when really shoving off on a trip. A 150 or 200 mile ride no, but if I am off on a trip it goes on my back. I pour all manner of drink into it during a ride. Mostly a electrolyte replenishment of some type, but water and ice works.

Anyway nice mod, I am sure there are a bunch of guys getting kisses from their SO right now because of your mod

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #35 of 37 Old May 21st, 2010, 7:14 pm

Garage

You do realize Loren, That in order to make your post correct. You need to read BMW as "Be My Wife". And as we all know too well, what we think we WANT and what SHE THINKS we NEED are entirely 2 different things!

oh, ya Mr. BBQ... I only paid $5K for Barbara so i guess that means I can go getto without any hard feelings right?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yes-dear-of-course-dear-demotivational-poster-1243701534.jpg
Views:	1696
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	27483  

Hoss
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen

Last edited by shoswell; May 21st, 2010 at 10:16 pm.
post #36 of 37 Old May 21st, 2010, 9:01 pm

Ghetto it is My simple but afective way around to hold a can.
Now that I have seen some other really good ideas, I will order a new dash pannel and go with something better.
Thank you every boudy.

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
post #37 of 37 Old May 23rd, 2010, 4:16 pm

try Ram Mounts - they have a couple of them . You just need to select the type of mounting brackets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in