How long will it last? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 10th, 2010, 6:32 am Thread Starter

How long will it last?

I recently purchased a 2000 LT for a very reasonable price. I really wasn't in the market but the guy I bought it from was in financial trouble and let it go very cheap. The bike is in very nice condition cosmetically and I had the local dealer check it out, he gave it a clean bill of health. The big concern is that the bike has over 84,000 miles on it. The dealer said it should go double that, but he probably isn't objective since he's a BMW dealer. Anybody tell me what I can expect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 10th, 2010, 6:37 am

Re: How long will it last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bripurvis
I recently purchased a 2000 LT for a very reasonable price. I really wasn't in the market but the guy I bought it from was in financial trouble and let it go very cheap. The bike is in very nice condition cosmetically and I had the local dealer check it out, he gave it a clean bill of health. The big concern is that the bike has over 84,000 miles on it. The dealer said it should go double that, but he probably isn't objective since he's a BMW dealer. Anybody tell me what I can expect?
Yeah, it can easily go double that.
Congrats, you've got a good bike, and you've found the website you need to learn what you need to know about it.
post #3 of 4 Old May 10th, 2010, 7:16 am

There are a couple things we are well aware of here that can fail with some regularity, mostly to do with seals, such as the clutch slave cylinder, which can take out the clutch when it fails. You can drill a small drain hole in the transmission boss where it mounts to avoid the clutch failure if the cylinder fails, well documented on this site.

The other somewhat common failure is the final drive bearing, also well documented here over the years.

Other than that though, the LT can easily go 200,000 plus miles with normal maintenance. One had over 300,000 miles with the only major problem being a transmission bearing failure, but it was totaled in an accident, so we don't know how long the engine is really capable of lasting.

In short, the bike can go a long time, but there are a few fairly low percentage things that can cause grief, so just ride and enjoy it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 4 Old May 10th, 2010, 8:21 am

I purchased my 2001 K1200LT, brand new on August 4, 2001. It now has 223,000 miles on it. The engine has proven to be bullet proof. The following are some of the issues that I have had over the past 9 years.

2 crown bearing replacements in the final drive. One because it failed and one because I was replacing the seal and, as long as I was in there and had a bearing and it had been over 100K since replacing my first one, I put in a second one - no issues since.

Replaced the drive shaft and joints at about 160,000 miles.

slave cylinder leak resulted in replacing the clutch. While it was apart, I replaced just about anything else that was replaceable. Not a big cost for parts - but labor can be expensive if you have the shop do this.

Rear brake rotors used to be an issue, I've had 4. This seems to have been addressed with the later rotors and is no longer the problem it once was. The same for squeaky rear brakes. The current pads seem to have addressed this and I have not had squeaky breaks for a long while.

In the past few years, I have replaced virtually all of the brake lines - not a big deal...

There are other issues that you would hope one would not have to address on a bike of this expense - Such as, the mirror in the trunk breaks easily - not the mirror, but the hinge. This can be easily addressed by installing a piano hinge.

The trunk latch can and likely will fail. There are now very good replacement hinges available.

Make sure you tether the side mirrors...They can and will eventually fall off and are expensive to replace. An inexpensive tether will help you avoid this expense.

I ride everyday, year round and would go anywhere with the bike without hesitation. It still looks great and rides well. I get what I think is very good gas mileage and also excellent mileage on my tires - Metzler 880 marathons.

You have purchased an outstanding bike that should give you years and thousands of miles of enjoyable riding - solo or two up. You will find this site to be an outstanding source of knowledge and willing assistance for anything to do with the K1200LT.

Enjoy!!! Tim Halpin

Tim Halpin - Northern, VA
01 - K1200LT
02 - Bushtec Quantum
79 - R100RS
BMWMOA - 30+ Yrs
AMA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in