2007 K1200LT keys. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 9th, 2010, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

2007 K1200LT keys.

Do the keys for the 2007 K1200LT have a chip in them, or is all that rubber just to keep you from placing it on a key ring? Need to have a spare made, don't want to get it through a dealer, if that is possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Re: 2007 K1200LT keys.

I have a 06LT and I just went to my local locksmith and he made me one up from a BMW car, the end is quite large but I figure its more to grab onto so it dont make the trip between the plastic like it did to me twice before with the smaller one. I still I need to clean out the twigs I used that broke off trying to get it out

Tom & Berta
<\\\><

THE EARLY BIRD MAY GET THE WORM
BUT ITS THE SECOND MOUSE THAT
GETS THE CHEEZE FROM THE TRAP!!
post #3 of 6 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Brian, from another post a few months ago. I put one of these keys with the magnetic(?) alarm disabler in an inside pocket of each of my riding jackets.

Previous post: Ghaison, good news. You don't have to buy a BMW replacement key to have a spare. Go to your independent locksmith who will have an ILCO blank number X59 BMW2. Works great costs $3.00. The best news is that it is a flat key with no plastic crap on it so it's easy to carry/hide.

They also had blanks for my Hannigan sidecar. Same price.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 6 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:49 pm
CMV

I got my bike used & it had 2 of the hard plastic topped keys & 8 - yes 8 - flat cut spare keys. I thought that was an awful lot of spare keys. Then about a week later I had an envelope from the dealer in the mail. 6 more keys. For some reason the previous owner thought 14 was the appropriate number of spare keys to have on hand

Just thought that was amusing.

I wondered too why the OEM keys had that plastic top with no hole. Thought it would make a lot of sense to be able to attach the key to the alarm fob. But avoiding a keychain with other keys makes perfect sense (1) so it doesn't get jammed up in the handlebars & (2) so it doesn't scratch the heck out of the bike.

What would be nice would be if they made the fob with a cut out to insert the key so they could be one piece. Could come apart like a Mercedes-Benz key does.

2003 K1200LT
post #5 of 6 Old May 10th, 2010, 12:05 am

BMW is very much against having any kind of key chain on the ignition key of the BMW for fear it will get caught up in the tupperware and bind the motion of the front wheel.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #6 of 6 Old May 10th, 2010, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input I got the key made without a problem. I wasn't intending to put on a key chain, just wanted an extra.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in