Brake Pad Recommendation Needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 9th, 2010, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Talking Brake Pad Recommendation Needed

Time to replace the brake pads.

Can anyone recommend a replacement? This is for the 2005 LT.

Would like one that does not squeak/squeal, minimal dust and long life. Not sure if this is asking for too much

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 9th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Re: Brake Pad Recommendation Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaughn
Time to replace the brake pads.

Can anyone recommend a replacement? This is for the 2005 LT.

Would like one that does not squeak/squeal, minimal dust and long life. Not sure if this is asking for too much

Thanks
the below is what I got for my rear brake and NO LONGER SQUEELS!
Code Product Qty Price Sub-Total rear 2006 BMW K1200LT
61-2401 FA400HH SINT BRK PAD EBC 1 $29.04

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:48 pm

I use the Carbone Lorraine pads they sell at beemerboneyard.com. No problems at all. But I didnt have any issues with the originals either.

http://beemerboneyard.com/cl2987rx3.html

post #4 of 16 Old May 10th, 2010, 4:41 pm

I followed this guy's advice, and very glad I did.

SBS ceramic.

The model codes are: -

Front
SBS No 703
Compound HF - ceramic

Rear
HF
post #5 of 16 Old May 11th, 2010, 10:25 am

I have been using the EBC HH pads front and rear and have been happy with them.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #6 of 16 Old May 11th, 2010, 11:35 am

+1 on the HH EBC's. (I have not tried anything other than those and the OEM BMW pads, though, so keep that in mind). I've been very happy with the lower brake dust, lower noise...and MY impression was that they performed better.

Two VERY strong recommendations.

Spend $3.95 on some of this:

and follow these instructions on bedding in your brakes after you change your pads:

How to bed in your brakes

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #7 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 12:00 am Thread Starter

Here are the part numbers for the EBC.

Front - FA294HH - $37 each
Rear - FA304HH - $37 each

Half the price of OEM brakes
post #8 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
+1 on the HH EBC's. MY impression was that they performed better.
Well, if your impression is they performed better then you should try the SBS ceramics, because the difference was like night and day. They are stunningly better. No way would I go back to regular or anything compareable.
post #9 of 16 Old May 12th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Subjective opinions are...subjective.

I can post "after replacing my OEM's with the HH EBC's, it really felt like the rear had significantly better braking" but without posting braking distance measurements with the OEM pads and then with the EBC's, it's just an opinion so I'm leaving it at that.

If you're willing to do a comparo for the forum...run say 10 good braking runs at 60, 70 and 80kph each, first at threshold braking and then again with ABS activated, then swap back to the OEM pads and post it up so we can see if there's a difference, we'd ALL be grateful. If it turns out that the SBS pads result in shorter braking distances I'd imagine there'd be a ton of us placing orders the next day (even a couple feet difference can mean the difference between stopping BEFORE a parked car or stopping IN a parked car).

Otherwise, this turns into another Oil/Tires/Tire pressure preference thread

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #10 of 16 Old May 13th, 2010, 2:26 am

Quote:
Subjective opinions are...subjective.

I can post "after replacing my OEM's with the HH EBC's, it really felt like the rear had significantly better braking" but without posting braking distance measurements with the OEM pads and then with the EBC's, it's just an opinion so I'm leaving it at that.

If you're willing to do a comparo for the forum...run say 10 good braking runs at 60, 70 and 80kph each, first at threshold braking and then again with ABS activated, then swap back to the OEM pads and post it up so we can see if there's a difference, we'd ALL be grateful. If it turns out that the SBS pads result in shorter braking distances I'd imagine there'd be a ton of us placing orders the next day (even a couple feet difference can mean the difference between stopping BEFORE a parked car or stopping IN a parked car).

Otherwise, this turns into another Oil/Tires/Tire pressure preference thread
petevandyke, I didn't mean to poo-poo your suggestion, I'm just trying to advise a member based on my experience. I've not tried the EBC pads but I was going on what you wrote which seemed to say there was a maybe an improvement on the standard pads, and if that's true then they're way inferior to the SBS ones, which are a big improvement. And this wasn't a subjective impression, it was an objective one.

Scientific though it may be I think your test is contrived to ensure it never happens. Why 10 at 60, 70 and 80? Why not 12 at 65, 75 and 90? A member asked for pad advice, and I gave it, as did you. If you can't make an objective decision on the difference in performance I suggest you switch pads continually and drive up and down the road stopping all the time like a lunatic, but I won't, nor do I need to.
post #11 of 16 Old May 13th, 2010, 11:14 pm
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtverbose
petevandyke, I didn't mean to poo-poo your suggestion, I'm just trying to advise a member based on my experience. I've not tried the EBC pads but I was going on what you wrote which seemed to say there was a maybe an improvement on the standard pads, and if that's true then they're way inferior to the SBS ones, which are a big improvement. And this wasn't a subjective impression, it was an objective one.

Scientific though it may be I think your test is contrived to ensure it never happens. Why 10 at 60, 70 and 80? Why not 12 at 65, 75 and 90? A member asked for pad advice, and I gave it, as did you. If you can't make an objective decision on the difference in performance I suggest you switch pads continually and drive up and down the road stopping all the time like a lunatic, but I won't, nor do I need to.
I agree with Pete. The speeds he recommends don't have to be those speeds, but everyone who tests needs to use the same speeds, so he threw out some suggestions. Some empirical data is pretty helpful, otherwise it is just a preference thread, and of minimal value. I'm not trying to diss you for giving advice, nor do I believe Pete was, so you can simmer down a bit there. Do us all a huge favor and do a test, at a few different speeds of your choosing, with an unloaded bike. Tell us how far it took to stop, and the speeds you used. Everyone else can do same, and over time we'll come up with something that statistically represents fact. This is objective data. Everything else is subjective. I'd love to know if ceramic pads are demonstrably better. Like Pete said, a couple of feet make a difference between dirty shorts and a hospital visit.
post #12 of 16 Old May 13th, 2010, 11:18 pm
jsb

Quote:
+1 on the HH EBC's. (I have not tried anything other than those and the OEM BMW pads, though, so keep that in mind). I've been very happy with the lower brake dust, lower noise...and MY impression was that they performed better.

Two VERY strong recommendations.

Spend $3.95 on some of this:

and follow these instructions on bedding in your brakes after you change your pads:

How to bed in your brakes
Interesting article on the brake bedding procedure. I have a complete set of Carbone Lorraines on the way for my K75, guess you will be seeing me on the 121 frontage road bedding them in.
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtverbose
I followed this guy's advice, and very glad I did.

SBS ceramic.

The model codes are: -

Front
SBS No 703
Compound HF - ceramic

Rear
HF
Anyone point me in a direction to buy these pads? I love the idea of a ceramic pad. No noise, no dust, long life and good bite. We install them exclusively on our customer's cars.
But try as I might, I can't find anyone that has SBS ceramics in one or both of the above mentioned fitments. Most are showing on their web sites but I'm getting no stock notices the next day.

Thanks

Brett
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:46 pm

I was trying to find SBS rear pads and it does not look like they are available in the US.. If you find them let repost.. I wound up ordering EBC again. I toyed with the Galper ceramic compound but that would have taken another week to get them to me... Mine will be here tomorrow..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #15 of 16 Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
I use the Carbone Lorraine pads they sell at beemerboneyard.com. No problems at all. But I didnt have any issues with the originals either.

http://beemerboneyard.com/cl2987rx3.html
I too am using Carbone Lorraine pads but find they wear faster than the BMW pads.

2012 K1600GT

post #16 of 16 Old Jul 20th, 2010, 7:23 am

I am also using Carbone Lorraine pads from Beemer Boneyard. No problems or complaints.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in