Initial Quality Woes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:26 am Thread Starter
WKP

Initial Quality Woes

I bought a 2009 LT new in June 2008. I have put close to 30000km on it, but I have had some quality issues. This is my first BMW... so I don't really know if this is normal or if I have a lemon.
1. Valve cover leaked oil during break in period
2. Cruise control didn't function properly from day one. I complained during the first service, was told that the technician could not find anything wrong with it on the test drive. It continued to mal function (shut off on hills or in heavy wind). I complained again, same story again. Finally the mottorad manager took it for a ride. He detected the problem. After one full season of problems, it was fixed for the next season and has worked fine since. They replaced the unit.
3. The rear brake pads are wearing uneaven, had to replace them at 27000km. They check the caliper, said it functions properly, but when I looked at it, one piston did not function properly.
4. I noticed oil on the driveshaft at the back by the rear wheel. They had to replace the gearbox seal as well as a shaft seal.
5. Front tire cupping wear problem. I was told that the pressure was too low. I have since kept the pressure up, but same problem on next tire.

I love the functionality of the bike, and it has never left me stranded, but the other concerns are anoying and disapointing. Do other owners have the same issues? I am considering the extended waranty, and based on this bikes track record, I think it will be worth the money.

Weiner

year? 550 Virago
87 FJ1200... great bike...
2000 CBR 929 (still ride it)
2009 K1200LT (Jun 14 delivery, 5+k, dropped twice.... ouch!)

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 9th, 2010, 11:48 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Initial Quality Woes

Hmmmmmmmmmm

First sorry to hear of your woes. While a lot of these things occur on the LT, usually not on the same bike so new.

I must say after another forum member went through clutches like socks, I was concerned on the final year 09 production of LT's.

If your dealer is fixing the issues and the repair procedures are being followed then you should be fine after you get the kinks worked out. After that I have to ask do you have another dealer to choose from? Sounds like you are not getting the satisfaction of a good dealer service. From my experience they are hard to come by and are fickle when the rubber really starts to meet the road on warranty work.

My 07 has been just about been perfect. I replaced the rear rotor when it was a issue with cow bell, but I had already put an EBC on it so I just handed the dealer the old and he handed me the new one. The last thing I did was replace the speed sensor for reverse as mine would go, stop, go, stop. I paid for it out of pocket as the dealer told me from new that was how it worked. I still have 3 months of warranty left but put it in myself to save the double trip and wait time. The money was worth not having the aggravation.

In your case hang in there and keep letting them know your issues and get documentation.

Again a great bike with German idiosyncrasy's but gives it back in spades if you and her (the dealer) come to terms.

Hope it works out for you.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #3 of 5 Old May 9th, 2010, 12:03 pm Thread Starter
WKP

Thanks...
Love the bike.
The dealer is the closest one and it is 40 miles away. They have tried hard, they came to my house in the winter to get the bike to fix the cruise... no charge... but that is when i deal directly with the manager.

Ive been to the east coast twice, tennesee once, going again next month... from Ontario Can. Take my wife on the back, she loves it. I did get an air hawk seat pad, works great. I rented a GW for a week before I bought the LT, but touched the pegs down on day 4, still havent come close on the LT. My last bike was a CBR929... very sporty.

Thinking seriously about the exstended waranty... I have until next May do decide.

Weiner

year? 550 Virago
87 FJ1200... great bike...
2000 CBR 929 (still ride it)
2009 K1200LT (Jun 14 delivery, 5+k, dropped twice.... ouch!)

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old May 9th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Once in a while a 'problem' bike comes off the line. My '84 R100GSPD was nothing but trouble through out the warranty period. Defective speedometer, multipul exhaust leaks, and pretty much all the engine seals were replaced. As I recall, every service during the warranty period included at least one warranty repair. Well over a 100K later it's is one of my most reliable bikes. Once the dealer got all the bugs out it has been problem free. Hopefully yours will settle down and give you years of faithful service as well.
post #5 of 5 Old May 9th, 2010, 4:10 pm

I too purchased a 2009 K1200LT in June of 2008. I've got a little over 25,000 miles on the bike and fortunately have had no problems so far. Well let's say no problems except front tire cupping. I still run Bridgestones and even with 44 psi in the front it still cups. I just installed my 3rd replacement front tire and after 1000 miles I can feel the cupping starting on the L/H side when I run my finger over the tread. I run Dyna Beads so even when it gets real ugly the bike will still be smooth until I change it out (usually about 7500-8000 miles). This is my first BMW as well.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in