Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Barrie, On, Canada
Initial Quality Woes
I bought a 2009 LT new in June 2008. I have put close to 30000km on it, but I have had some quality issues. This is my first BMW... so I don't really know if this is normal or if I have a lemon.
1. Valve cover leaked oil during break in period
2. Cruise control didn't function properly from day one. I complained during the first service, was told that the technician could not find anything wrong with it on the test drive. It continued to mal function (shut off on hills or in heavy wind). I complained again, same story again. Finally the mottorad manager took it for a ride. He detected the problem. After one full season of problems, it was fixed for the next season and has worked fine since. They replaced the unit.
3. The rear brake pads are wearing uneaven, had to replace them at 27000km. They check the caliper, said it functions properly, but when I looked at it, one piston did not function properly.
4. I noticed oil on the driveshaft at the back by the rear wheel. They had to replace the gearbox seal as well as a shaft seal.
5. Front tire cupping wear problem. I was told that the pressure was too low. I have since kept the pressure up, but same problem on next tire.
I love the functionality of the bike, and it has never left me stranded, but the other concerns are anoying and disapointing. Do other owners have the same issues? I am considering the extended waranty, and based on this bikes track record, I think it will be worth the money.
year? 550 Virago
87 FJ1200... great bike...
2000 CBR 929 (still ride it)
2009 K1200LT (Jun 14 delivery, 5+k, dropped twice.... ouch!)
RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.