Mobil 1 Oil Filter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 8th, 2010, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Mobil 1 Oil Filter

i just bought one Mobil 1 ( M1-102 ) for my 05 LT. I was told to remove the stickers.... But about the paint??? should i remove that too??? Thanks for everyone's help... This a great site for info...

Jack Bland III

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 BMW K1200LT
1993 Honda CBR900RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 8th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Re: Mobil 1 Oil Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbland3
i just bought one Mobil 1 ( M1-102 ) for my 05 LT. I was told to remove the stickers.... But about the paint??? should i remove that too??? Thanks for everyone's help... This a great site for info...
Hi, you are new so please be ready to be beat up!
Please do search for "oil filters" and you will understand.
My opinion is why should I be the guinea pig and experiment the discovery and effects of paint or stickers floating around in the crank-case?!?! I know they are about $4-8 dollars less than OEM....At least get a chrome plated filter!
HERE WE GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old May 8th, 2010, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Sorry if this is going to start something, But after paying $27.00 for a filter at the dealer and the miles i ride each day to and from work, i need to try and save so money...

Once again thanks for your help.

Jack Bland III

2005 BMW K1200LT
1993 Honda CBR900RR

post #4 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 2:17 am

$4 to $8 less my foot! A new WIX or NAPA Gold, or Bosch filter is $6 or less. That's $21 less than a dealer supplied filter. Hmmm. 1 quart of Castrol 20W50 and a quart of Royal Purple gear lube FREE at every oil change. Pay the price of 1 dealer filter and pay for 3 qts of crankcase oil and you have the materials for a complete engine oil change AND a FREE gear box and final drive fluid change.

No one can be the guinea pig any more regarding painted filters. W a a a y to many of us like the "buy an painted aftermarket oil filter and get a really inexpensive oil change" plan. If I thought there was an appreciable risk I would suck it up and pay the ridiculous price of a dealer filter. But hundreds of thousands of miles on painted oil filters indicates it's throwing away good money.

BTW, you're nuts if you use BMW Motorrad anti-freeze too. Buy what meets the specs and use the money you save to buy a new Kontour seat,(or a new set of Ohlins, etc.).

BTW remove the sticker and you're good to go!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Hi, you are new so please be ready to be beat up!
Please do search for "oil filters" and you will understand.
My opinion is why should I be the guinea pig and experiment the discovery and effects of paint or stickers floating around in the crank-case?!?! I know they are about $4-8 dollars less than OEM....At least get a chrome plated filter!
HERE WE GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #5 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:14 am

I have been using NAPA Gold or Super Tech filters for 2 bucks a pop for many tens of thousands of miles with no problem. I have never seen any sign of paint degradation on a filter after removing it. These discussions are nothing but red herrings. If you personally think a $20.00 filter is any better than a $2.00 filter, be my guest.
post #6 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:50 am

This is degenerating into a usual oil thread...

But, what the heck: check out Beemer Boneyard for filters specific for your bike. Good prices: $9 for the Bosch filter (less in multiples), $9 for the steel wrench. No need to worry about stickers, bypass pressure, etc. (I hope...)

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #7 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Jack, I also would like to save a few $$ if I can and so I purchased (a while back) a half dozen BOSCH #72161 filters for my 05 LT. I forgot what they go for - did a search on the internet and purchased the bunch at once. They were much less $$ than the BMW flavor.

These #72161's are very shiny black with a sticker that peels off easily. For my piece of mind, I peeled the sticker off each (and used it to tap the filter box up). Anyway, the filters come out during the oil change looking just as shiny and black as they went in. The same end filter wrench that I have that works on the BMW filter fits this one too.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #8 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 2:48 pm
Enjoy The Ride

That's the filter I use. I just peel the sticker off & install it. As far as the paint on the filter even if a chip came off if & did make it through the oil pump it would then get trapped in the filter. After all that's the purpose for the filter.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
I have been using NAPA Gold or Super Tech filters for 2 bucks a pop for many tens of thousands of miles with no problem. I have never seen any sign of paint degradation on a filter after removing it. These discussions are nothing but red herrings. If you personally think a $20.00 filter is any better than a $2.00 filter, be my guest.
Can you give me the part number for the NAPA filters. I just ordered 2 filters through NAPA and it cost me 36.00. I have a 99 K1200LT.

Curtis Traylor
Mountain Home, AR
post #10 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Sorry if this is going to start something, But after paying $27.00 for a filter at the dealer and the miles i ride each day to and from work, i need to try and save so money...

Once again thanks for your help.
know what you mean, $27.00 is out of line, I wait till they have a sale, bought 4 for $48.00 so I'm good to go. Your choice, I know the filter is bathed in oil and painted filters ain't designed for that. I use syth oil also. At least pull the sticker.....

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #11 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt

No one can be the guinea pig any more regarding painted filters. W a a a y to many of us like the "buy an painted aftermarket oil filter and get a really inexpensive oil change" plan.....
Loren
Dude, I am not married to BMW or anything OEM, that said my opinion had NO CHANCE of screwing up jbland3 bike, your blanket statement however; I'm not so sure about......
BTW, you get a nice new 'O' ring & never to be used crush washer with the overpriced OEM filter

2001 Honda C-250 Helix

Smokin'

post #12 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctraylor
Can you give me the part number for the NAPA filters. I just ordered 2 filters through NAPA and it cost me 36.00. I have a 99 K1200LT.
Napa Gold 1348 and Super Tech St3614 both do the trick.
post #13 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:28 pm

D. Joe, very safely played and good advice. When I bought my ride on consignment I got 6 o-rings and 6 crush washers in little BMW envelopes. I've done 2 oil changes now still using the originals that came on the bike. I think I'll change 'em next round.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #14 of 17 Old May 9th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
At least pull the sticker.....
Ok so its unanimous then remove the sticker that comes on the filter,

should I replace it with a BMW sticker?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 17 Old May 10th, 2010, 12:41 am

Nah! Just put one of those little factory authorized BMW roundels $20.00 for a leeeetle one) at the bottom (top?) of the filter to dress it up a bit! Crap! Now back to price of factory filter! Ya can't win!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #16 of 17 Old May 10th, 2010, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo

No, put a Honda sticker on it. Then you won't have any trouble

2002 K1200LT
post #17 of 17 Old May 10th, 2010, 12:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Fram now makes an unpainted K1200LT filter.

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetai...?b=F&pn=PH6063

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in