Clutch questions/opinions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Clutch questions/opinions

I took a few photos (you're welcome Lee) of my friction and pressure plates, and wanted to hear what some of you more knowledgeable guys thought about the wear patterns, and serviceability of the pressure plates.

I cleaned them all up, except for the friction plate which gets replaced no matter what, and gave them a light coating of oil to stop surface rust. There are no gouges, divots, ridges or even rough spots on either plate, just the discoloring. I've not taken any sanding material to them to see if they'd come clean.

My first impression, based on looks and the good feel of the clutch prior to removal, is that they're OK to reuse, but I really don't know enough about this machine to make that call on my own.

I'd appreciate some thoughts. Thanks.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02323.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	27283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02322.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	27284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02321.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	27285   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02320.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	27286  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Re: Clutch questions/opinions

I would replace them... I see significant "heat scoring" on both. If you do reuse them, make SURE that you remove ANY and ALL oil from the surfaces that will contact the clutch plate. Just my 2cents.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Those places you see on the pressure plate that look like they are "smears" of metal are just that. Smears. Metal has moved and when reheated it will stand up. I know this because I'm a transmission rebuilder and the engineers will tell you that once those "smears" show up on a clutch plate or a steel in a transmission, they need to be replaced. My pressure plate had a few black spots that came off with some light brushing so I reused it and that was over 40K miles ago. It it looked like the one you have, I would have thrown it away and got a new one...............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

post #4 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 9:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I took a few photos (you're welcome Lee) of my friction and pressure plates, and wanted to hear what some of you more knowledgeable guys thought about the wear patterns, and serviceability of the pressure plates.

I cleaned them all up, except for the friction plate which gets replaced no matter what, and gave them a light coating of oil to stop surface rust. There are no gouges, divots, ridges or even rough spots on either plate, just the discoloring. I've not taken any sanding material to them to see if they'd come clean.

My first impression, based on looks and the good feel of the clutch prior to removal, is that they're OK to reuse, but I really don't know enough about this machine to make that call on my own.

I'd appreciate some thoughts. Thanks.

Frank
The clutch appears to have been overheated at least once and probably several times. I would replace both parts. I don't know if the LT pressure plate is thick enough to resurface, but that might be an option also. However, this can make it even more prone to overheating in the future as it now has less thermal mass.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 9:17 pm Thread Starter

Good enough, thanks guys. Parts are on order, including those.
post #6 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 9:20 pm

I agree with everyone else here, replace all of it. You have some pretty severe "heat checking", and once that happens, it should be replaced. If you try to sand off all the surface discoloration and re-use them, it will just re-appear in short order.

Something really overheated that clutch! A lot of slipping happened at some time.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 7 Old May 8th, 2010, 7:22 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Nothing to add as you got the best of the best on the critique on the parts and I have to say that is the third one I have seen that looked like that to some degree or another.

And I have to say the pictures are great Of all the years and posts I never ever asked for pics as I usually post them so I can get confirmation on issues or share what I have done on a mod. I guess the first time was a charm with you I now know I am a jinx and will NEVER ask for pictures from anyone else

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in