not happy with new front metz - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 7th, 2010, 11:44 am Thread Starter

not happy with new front metz

Just got new tires mounted and am not happy with the feel of the front tire. I've gone through six or seven tires now so I should know what feels right and what doesn't.

First thing I noticed is that in turns it feels like I am falling off the top of the tire. As if being pulled down on the sides.

Also the tire sounds like I am going over railroad ties as if it is out of round or something. This is my second rim and one would believe the dealer would have warned me if this rim was out of round. But I can feel a slight vibration and hear a "thwop thwop thwop" sound.

I have been concerned with the quality of these tires for a while now. Seems they last fewer miles and my last front tire wore in a weird pattern. I notice the mold joints are very pronounced (flashing) on this tire over the last few. (I understand molding and dies)

Does anyone else have these concerns or notice performance issues? On the very first day I was ready to call the dealer but will see what others may say here.

Thanks and have a good riding season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 7th, 2010, 12:01 pm

Re: not happy with new front metz

"Seems they last fewer miles and my last front tire wore in a weird pattern".

Combined with this statement, and your need for a new rim, I'd have to ask if there isn't something wrong with the bike, and not the tire.
The dealer could easily miss a small deformity in a wheel. You might want to get the tire off the ground and spin it by hand, using something as a guide and test that yourself, both front to rear and side to side.
This sounds like it could be an alignment issue, tire to tire, on your bike. But then again I don't know if BMW has an offset or not. In the old days, I would take two straight pieces of anything I could get, like a 2X4, set them up against both sides of the rear tire, and then see where the front tires was relative to the rear.
Doubt that helps much.
post #3 of 6 Old May 7th, 2010, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

I am heading out to the garage in a bit to lift the front tire and see if there is visual out of round occuring. My previous rim was out of round and I had it replaced a couple years back. I have dial indicators I can put up against the rim beads to see if the rim is running out of round.

The thing is the old tire was fine but worn. And not even worn as much as other tires I've burned through.

post #4 of 6 Old May 7th, 2010, 12:42 pm

Just a thought, is it mounted backwards ? I've had a dealer do that more than once, glad I always caught it before I remounted it on the bike !

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #5 of 6 Old May 7th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Things to look for:
1. Did the dealer mount a radial 120/70/17 in stead of the Bias.
2. Stock Shocks, how old are they? 25K -35K and they are worn out enough to cause pre-mature tire wear.
3. Tire mounter backwards
4. Running low tire pressure
5. Belt separation
6. wheel issues

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #6 of 6 Old May 7th, 2010, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Original shocks and need to be replaced. Tire is rotating properly. Will check radial vs bias.
thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in