Radio VS. Mice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 1:42 am Thread Starter

Radio VS. Mice

I posted in an another thread that I had found a mouse nest in the upper left fairing. Today while taking the xm radio off the bike I notice that the three upper connectors for the radio had the hell chewed out of them. Three wires on one connector, one on the middle, and two on the outside one. There was two wires laying naked to each other. I used a small screwdriver and separated them all and retaped them. Them wrapped each bundle well with tape. My left side speakers had quit working, so I'm hoping that with this repair...maybe I'll get them back. I just figured that the crappy radio's left bank went out, which still may be the case. I guess I'll find out when I get everything done on this 24k maintenance. This is my first time this far into the bike, so I'm going real slow trying not to screw anything up.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 9:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Radio VS. Mice

The mice will probably be back. I've had good results with moth balls in the Cycle-shell when I stow her away for the winter. YMMV depending on where you store the bike.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #3 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 11:08 am

+1 on mothballs.

Awfull smell, but I've used them to keep mice and squirrels away. It least, I'd like to believe that this was what helped so far.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #4 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Mothballs have crossed my mind. Thanks guys. I also have some varmint spray for some bushes that I may spray on there also.
Now to hijack my own thread... Is there some kind of trick getting those 3 connectors back together? I'm having a heck of a time with the inside one. I pushed hard enough on it that it popped out of the mount. So then I put a small long nosed vice grip on the back of the forward part of the connector, and still no success. Sprayed it down with some PB 20 (I think its called) nada. Those pins are so small I'm afraid of bullying too much. I was an aviation electrician in the navy and came across some doosies, but nothing like this. I'm in here now asking this question because I had to get away from it for a while as part of my anger management.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #5 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 4:25 pm

You gotta try deer whistles for the mice......and be sure to take pictures and let us know how it works.

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #6 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 4:58 pm

I'm surprised mice chewed wires on a 2002 bike.
Around here, the mice only chew on new wires. After a few years they loose that edible smell I guess.
I had mice chew on the alarm bike disabler wires when my KLT was new. Intermittent non-starter until the problem was found.
I park my 1978 Datsun 280Z in an old sugarhouse during winters, mice have nested in the heater box a few times. Turn on the defroster and mouse nesting stuff and mouse turds end up all over the dash. I had to disassemble the heater system to get out dead mice. Yeah, smells BAD.

Yeah, mothballs work for a time. I put moth balls in old socks under the hood of the Datsun one year..... mice made nesting material outa the socks. That didn't work so good.

Old joke:
Q: Have you ever smelled moth balls?
Ans: usually "yes".

Follow up: " Who held the wings?"
post #7 of 7 Old May 7th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Mothballs have crossed my mind. Thanks guys. I also have some varmint spray for some bushes that I may spray on there also.
Now to hijack my own thread... Is there some kind of trick getting those 3 connectors back together? I'm having a heck of a time with the inside one. I pushed hard enough on it that it popped out of the mount. So then I put a small long nosed vice grip on the back of the forward part of the connector, and still no success. Sprayed it down with some PB 20 (I think its called) nada. Those pins are so small I'm afraid of bullying too much. I was an aviation electrician in the navy and came across some doosies, but nothing like this. I'm in here now asking this question because I had to get away from it for a while as part of my anger management.
Check your pin alignment. IIRC I had the same problem. Finally figured out one pin was off far enough to prevent copulation. HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in