Trouble getting into 1st gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Trouble getting into 1st gear

I have a 2003 LT.
I've recently developed a problem whereby I have trouble putting it into 1st gear after sitting for a while. Each time I start up I attempt to put it into gear. The gear shift lever moves easily, but with no engagement into gear. If I make continued attempts it eventually engages.
Once engaged ,as seems well. All other gears engage correctly and I can even get back into 1st gear without trouble.

Can anyone help

Thanks
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Re: Trouble getting into 1st gear

Yeah, They all do that..

Just feather the clutch a little while you're trying to shift into first and it'll snick in...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 12:33 pm

I have a 2002 and it does the same thing. I just feather the clutch a couple a times and it engages.

Al
Spokane
WA

post #4 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 12:51 pm

post #5 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 1:57 pm

It's just so automatic now that I don't even think about it.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #6 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 2:12 pm

They All Do That.... TADT....

Born to be wild so why not

post #7 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

...everyone has the same problem ?

Has anyone looked into the actual cause ?
Is there a fix ?
I'll certainly try the feather thing though.

Thanks for all the quick responses

D U
post #8 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 3:32 pm

09 same thing same solution though it doesn't do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durq

Is there a fix ?

D U

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #9 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 3:38 pm

I think it is so with BMW-gearbox. Or maybe we all got a failure

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #10 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 3:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Any manual transmission can be difficult to shift into first gear, especially when it is started with the clutch in. When you pull the clutch lever with the engine running the gears coast for a short time which allows a smooth shift. Once they stop moving the shift dogs can be misaligned, so moving into first gear becomes a problem. I know it sounds odd, but the gears turning are what makes it drop into first gear smoothly so either feather it or release, pull, and try again. Whatever you do, don't "stomp" on it. Stomping will work, but will eventually reveal the weakest link in the system.
post #11 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 4:00 pm

I think every bike i have ever riden has done that.

2001 K1200LTC
1998 Suzuki Marauder 800
1982 Suzuki GS550L
post #12 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Is there a fix ?

D U
post #13 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 4:53 pm

It's not a problem. If you could see the dogs you would understand that they have fairly large flat surfaces that must be rotating at different speeds so that one can latch into the other.

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #14 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Garage

Quote:

Is there a fix ?
Double post

Dean has given you the correct answer.

The gears need to spin and be in synch with the engine for a smooth shifting. If the gears are totally still, the dog-teeth might not find the alignment to couple the gears with the engine.

This is because motorbike's sequential transmissions often incorporate a synchro-less dog-clutch engagement mechanism (as opposed to the synchromesh dog clutch common on H-pattern automotive transmissions, which is bringing the gears up to speed using the synchronizers during the shift).

Why is the problem happening when the bike is sitting for a while, and not when the engine is already warm? I believe that - on a cold, long-sitting engine - the oil has a greater viscosity and it's "holding" the gears still. Unless you feather the clutch of course, so that the gears start moving.

Starting the engine with the clutch dis-engaged might help. So does starting the bike and letting the engine idle for a minute before putting in first gear.

I've had this with any bike I owned. On some bikes (lighter than the LT!!) I used to roll the bike forward a little bit during the shifting, to let it find the synchronisation better.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #15 of 28 Old May 6th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Quote:
...everyone has the same problem ?...
As others wrote - not a problem.
That is how it works.

If you had a car with non-synchro first gear, you'd also be spinning up the gearbox to get it engaged.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #16 of 28 Old May 7th, 2010, 10:36 am

I'll chime in too. My '00 LT and '05 GS both do this. I really don't think you have a problem.

Feathering the clutch, quickly pulling in and releasing the clutch, rocking the bike back and forth to get it into gear in my opinion is normal operating procedure. My experience is that my shaft drive bikes have always exhibited the behavior more so than the chain drives (BMW or otherwise).

2008 GSXR 600
post #17 of 28 Old May 7th, 2010, 7:11 pm

+1 (they all seem to do it)

My 99 and the 05 LT sometimes does it - especially when the trans is cold. At first I just pressed harder until I found out (here) to pull the clutch in and pre-load the shifter down and let it out a tad (slight friction zone) and "snick!" she goes in gear. At least I think that's how it goes, I just do it without thinking!

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #18 of 28 Old May 7th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Put it into gear as soon as you pull in the clutch. That way it's trying to shift before everything stops turning and it can mesh..............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #19 of 28 Old May 8th, 2010, 4:24 am

Garage

I was wondering how long the original poster is riding his LT and why has he wrote "I've recently developed a problem"

We're all assuming that the behaviour is the "normal" one of each bike, but maybe he's facing something havier than that.

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #20 of 28 Old May 8th, 2010, 6:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
I was wondering how long the original poster is riding his LT and why has he wrote "I've recently developed a problem"

We're all assuming that the behaviour is the "normal" one of each bike, but maybe he's facing something havier than that.
Yeah, I wondered that too. Has something really changed, or is he just discovering that sometimes depending on where the gears come to a stop in the tranny? The gears need to be spun a little to get them to mesh depending on where they have stopped.
Kinda like a slot machine where things line up "wrong" some of the time.

I wondered if his linkage was going or something, but decided he probably has just discovered this "feature". All the above posts about gear teeth needing to be aligned are correct. Everyonce in a while the gears will come to a stop in a position that prevents engagment, and the gears will have to be spun a little to get them to engage.
This isn't true only for first gear, it just that we only notice it in first because we are stopped and the tranny is at a standstill.
Witness, if you put the bike on the centerstand with the bike not running. Try shifting through the gears from 1st to 5th. You won't generally get very far without either starting the bike or manually spinning the rear wheel.
It is pretty fundamental which is why several folks are seemingly a little perplexed by the orignial post.
post #21 of 28 Old May 9th, 2010, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

I'm the original poster:
Let me explain..... The Lt is new to me as of late last summer. (previously a 84 GoldWing)
And yes....the reaction of the first gear is a recent development. It only started shortly "after" (not immediately) I fired it up this spring. ( or it may be better to say..."I only recently experienced the first gear thing" )
Hence...I asked the question.

I've recently tried the "clutch feathering" approach and it seemed to work out well.

Thanks for all the help.
post #22 of 28 Old May 9th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Hi Don,
BMW has historically had pretty "clunky" transmissions compared to the Japanese. So your query is understandable.
Most of us are probably so used to feathering the clutch that we no longer remember how many times the tranny won't let you into first when at a dead stop.
It is a "feature" and not a problem.
It is much like a slot machine in that things randomly come to a stop, sometimes lined up right, sometimes "wrong". So I think you are correct when wording it to say you only recently "experienced" it, rather than calling it a "development". Very likely nothing has "developed", you just got lucky enough to discover the "feature".
Enjoy the ride.

Quote:
I'm the original poster:
Let me explain..... The Lt is new to me as of late last summer. (previously a 84 GoldWing)
And yes....the reaction of the first gear is a recent development. It only started shortly "after" (not immediately) I fired it up this spring. ( or it may be better to say..."I only recently experienced the first gear thing" )
Hence...I asked the question.

I've recently tried the "clutch feathering" approach and it seemed to work out well.

Thanks for all the help.
post #23 of 28 Old May 9th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Garage

It might be that you noticed it more this spring, also because it's colder than last summer when you got the bike, and colder weather means that the oil is less fluid and producing more rolling/shifing resistance.

Or maybe you need to change oil: do you know how long it was since the last oil change?

Living in Ottawa (assumingly cold climate) you might also consider an oil with a lower viscosity grade

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #24 of 28 Old May 9th, 2010, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

It's only Ottawa....not the Artic circle

All fluids have now been changed. All Synthetic. Sure not as easy as the GoldWing to work on. But it sure rides a whole lot better. Especially with the extra baggage attached

I'll go with the the "slot machine" theory . It may have just not lined up that way.
I did have it out a few times this spring without this "feature" showing itself.
I'll also go with the "clutch feathering" technique.

There is also a sidecar that I've "duct taped" to the side of this slot machine. I haven't had it out in a while lately because I've just built a new sidecar for the grandchildren to ride in. When it's fully attached and wired, I'll spend some time exploring this transmission feature further.
You've all been helpful.
tx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02931.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	27328   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02948.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	587.8 KB
ID:	27329  
post #25 of 28 Old May 10th, 2010, 1:17 pm

Garage

Great color for your bike, is that original?

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #26 of 28 Old May 10th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado68
Great color for your bike, is that original?
I'm pretty sure that's the BMW OEM color Impala Brown.

Somewhat maligned by others, I kinda like it.

I heard it is the only color bike that has trouble shifting into first gear though.
post #27 of 28 Old May 10th, 2010, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Yes..the colour is original. I understand that it was used sparingly by BMW. The sidecar was taken in over the winter to have it colour matched. The sidecar was installed on it last Sept. (you'll notice that I'm using the correct spelling for "colour" ....I'm old and I'm Canadian...this is the way we do it)
post #28 of 28 Old May 11th, 2010, 9:25 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
(you'll notice that I'm using the correct spelling for "colour" ....I'm old and I'm Canadian...this is the way we do it)
Another colourful character on the forum... and he can spell!
Pisses me off the way the spell-checker always tries to make us spell incorrectly

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in