jammed saddlebag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 5th, 2010, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Saddlebag out of allignment?

Left side bag was not closing properly. Got it open and closing but it won't close all the way...out of alignment. Is there away to adjust the latches and or posts?

Ron

Last edited by byke33; May 5th, 2010 at 2:11 pm. Reason: need info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 5th, 2010, 3:40 pm

Re: Saddlebag out of allignment?

Is the bag full or empty? Several times, when the bag was a teensy bit too full, I'll catch something (clothing usually) flopped out in the manner that catches the sealing edge or the latches......if it's empty..........well you should probably trade the whole thing in for a new one........latches are really hard to dislocate I'd think.....unless something is bitmished........

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #3 of 5 Old May 5th, 2010, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Re: jammed saddlebag

So...I talked with my service manager at Chicago BMW Peter, who is a all around good guy and has helped me often with many bikes. He tells me that the latch mechanisism is likely broken and I need a new one. I order one at $241.00 (ouch) and then get back to work. I decide to check Beemer Boneyard and they have the left side(I need the right) and just sold a set to a guy yesterday. They recommend calling Cycle Recycle in North Carolina. They have one and agree to send it out for $85.00 shipped. I call Chicago BMW and cxl my order. I decide to remove the plates that hold the latch mech in and the restraining strap and notice the bar looks a bit bent. I hammer it flat and reinstall. The bag works bu is stiff. A little more fussing with it and the bag now closes smooth and easy. Call Cycle Recycle...and cancel my order. I am sure I caused this as I was on a weekend ride with my g/f and we packed the bags up good. Worth looking at before ordering parts though...saves some dough and enjoyed the satisfaction of fixing it myself.

Ron

post #4 of 5 Old May 5th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Glad you found that Ron. Some times the pins get "out of sequence" from one another. If you hold the lid open and half close the latch you can "realign" the bad pin before something gets bent.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old May 5th, 2010, 9:16 pm
Enjoy The Ride

If when you open the saddlebag and it drops down on its own you need to realign the retractor tab so it will close properly. This is the way it should look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fla. RTE & Shuttle 4-10 022.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	853.8 KB
ID:	27268  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in