Geting comfortable - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Geting comfortable

Maybe it's me and I can't ride long distances, but I can't seem to get comfortable. I have MOPs and Backup and an inch thick gel pad and still am sore after 300 miles or so. I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position as I can't "stay still". I also wear a pair of bicycle riding shorts as well. By the end of the day I'm sore. My butts sore, my back is sore. I REALLY want to ride more than 300 miles in a day and get up the next day and ride again. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:01 pm
cws

Garage
Re: Geting comfortable

the obvious question is... what sort of seat do you have? Still struggling with the OEM..? if so, get rid of it and get an aftermarket.... only real solution. plenty of threads about favourite types...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 31 Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman37
Maybe it's me and I can't ride long distances, but I can't seem to get comfortable. I have MOPs and Backup and an inch thick gel pad and still am sore after 300 miles or so. I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position as I can't "stay still". I also wear a pair of bicycle riding shorts as well. By the end of the day I'm sore. My butts sore, my back is sore. I REALLY want to ride more than 300 miles in a day and get up the next day and ride again. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Charles
Many factors go into the possible answers to your question.......
Age (you didn't say), physical condition, years riding, bike fit, and others.
You might have to work into it......as in many rides. ie. ride conditioning.
I don't really like saddle pads. Rather have a good, well made saddle.
Stretch while you ride. Take breaks. Core conditioning. etc.
Good luck.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?

post #4 of 31 Old May 4th, 2010, 3:55 am

A key ingredient for me, in covering many comfortable miles in a day and repeating the next day, is to begin the ride well hydrated and stay so during. If I have a planned departure date for covering the miles, I begin the hydration process a day or so before lift off. Plain ole H2O for starters - then maybe a sports drink or two while traveling - but staying mainly with water.

So for me, in addition to the usual remedies of comfortable riding attire, ergonomic fitments such as beaded seat cover, backrest, etc; it's the hydration effort that enables back-to-back ~700 mile, 12 hour trips.

Good luck in your effort to improve on comfort and enjoyment of longish rides.
post #5 of 31 Old May 4th, 2010, 7:56 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
A key ingredient for me, in covering many comfortable miles in a day and repeating the next day, is to begin the ride well hydrated and stay so during. If I have a planned departure date for covering the miles, I begin the hydration process a day or so before lift off. Plain ole H2O for starters - then maybe a sports drink or two while traveling - but staying mainly with water.

So for me, in addition to the usual remedies of comfortable riding attire, ergonomic fitments such as beaded seat cover, backrest, etc; it's the hydration effort that enables back-to-back ~700 mile, 12 hour trips.

Good luck in your effort to improve on comfort and enjoyment of longish rides.
Plus 1 on Hydrating prior to a long trip & during the trip.
I use a camleback with water & drink OJ at fuel stops. Also eat power bars & not sweet snacks.

Quote:

Charles

I was the same when I bought my LT. 300 to 400 miles was all I could do. In time (a year or so) I worked up to 600 or 700 miles per day but I still hurt till I replaced my stock seat. Now I can ride 1000 + mile days. A good seat makes a world of difference.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 31 Old May 4th, 2010, 11:28 am

You guys seem to have forgotten the real solution to this Gentlemans issue. Pedicures and manicures at regular intervals will cure your problem!!!!

BTW, if you don't believe it do a search for the word manicure or pedicure and you will be convinced!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 31 Old May 4th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
You guys seem to have forgotten the real solution to this Gentlemans issue. Pedicures and manicures at regular intervals will cure your problem!!!!

BTW, if you don't believe it do a search for the word manicure or pedicure and you will be convinced!

Loren
I remember that thread........(just got a big shiver down my spine) yikes!!

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #8 of 31 Old May 4th, 2010, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Hmm pedicure and manicure...who would have thought that would solve my sore butt. lol I think it will take a combination of things, but probably riding more distance at a time to get my body used to it. I'm working on getting in to better shape as I think that will help keeping the beast upright at times. I'm turning 50 in July and I think the body doesn't recover quite as fast as if I were in my 20's either. I may have to wait until next year for a new seat....those are expensive!! (course what isn't on a BMW!! )
post #9 of 31 Old May 4th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Just a reminder - you can cover the same distance at 120 mph as you can at 60 mph in half the time.
post #10 of 31 Old May 4th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Something that I saw for long distance riding is these: http://www.ldcomfort.com/

I personally haven't tried them.

I am starting a trip to CA and WA from MN for 2 1/2 weeks this next week (wife and I). I estimate 5300 miles - guess I will find out how comfortable things are.

Now if only there will be no snow......

Good suggestion on the hydration.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #11 of 31 Old May 4th, 2010, 10:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I suffered with various seats and settled on a Russell with the built in suspention. That solved the butt problem and I can now go 5 or more 600 mile days in a row. The back is another issue. I have had a Backup back rest for 5 years and I never had it adjusted correctly. I suffered coming back from California to Alabama last year and I suffered last weekend going to Killington, VT. I did not suffer coming home. I adjusted the back rest from the full up position to the full down and that made all the difference in the world. Play with that back rest until you find the sweet spot - you will know when you do.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 31 Old May 5th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Ride on the balls of your feet, not your instep. This preloads your tendons and helps engage your stomach and back muscles to hold yourself up......try it....Kieth
post #13 of 31 Old May 5th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Try the PELVIS TILT...........rotate your pelvis to the rear.....like you were trying for a bigger "booty"......

It's my .02 cents, and I'm stickin' to it...........

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #14 of 31 Old May 5th, 2010, 5:07 pm

I've never had a more comfortable seat than my Rick Mayor seat. But....I don't think I could ride at all if it weren't for the back rest. Once you have a back rest you notice the difference when you ride one without.

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #15 of 31 Old May 5th, 2010, 5:54 pm

I agree with the seat. On the other hand I have never wanted to ride 600-700 miles a day. I ride a couple hours get off for a break, go to a antique shop, have a pic nic whatever. What the hell is the hurry.

Just my two cents,

AL
Spokane
WA
post #16 of 31 Old May 5th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokane1200lt
I agree with the seat. On the other hand I have never wanted to ride 600-700 miles a day. I ride a couple hours get off for a break, go to a antique shop, have a pic nic whatever. What the hell is the hurry.

Just my two cents,

AL
Spokane
WA
Let me guess... you are retired?

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #17 of 31 Old May 5th, 2010, 9:06 pm

The stock seat gave me the same issues as the Op.

The original seat looks good as it is contoured to the bike but it couldn’t be worse for the rider.

I used a beadrider and that helped. Especially in hot weather. But the ultimate answer was the Rocky Meyer seat. I drove to his shop (although he does mail order) and had the seat custom made to my butt. I do have a backrest also. Now the only reason I need to stop is to eat and sleep.

Here is the beadrider site, note the LT is on their home page
http://beadrider.com/
post #18 of 31 Old May 5th, 2010, 9:23 pm

I think some time in the seat helps me build up endurance. I still have the stock seat on my y2k ride. I'm 51 and the riding season for me just gets started in April and my butt gets a little uncomfortable at 1st and then improves with each ride. I find it hard to just jump on a bike with out building up a little endurance 1st and trying to ride long miles.
post #19 of 31 Old May 5th, 2010, 10:50 pm

I've been doing long rides since I first bought my LT. I bought it out of state, and my maiden voyage was over 700 miles of which 400 miles was in the rain. My butt did suffer with the stock seat though. Now, I have a Kontour seat, and it is maximum comfort and goodby to the sore butt syndrome. I bought it from a member of this site for an affordable sum. Hydration is very important, so 1+ on that. Also 1+ on conditioning too. For back to back big mile days, I like to stay in a place with a pool and spa; the exercise and stretching are like a reset button. Also, I meditate, breathe and relax with every mile I ride. This aids me to maintain a good riding posture and keeps me at peak alertness. Finally, it keeps things fresh to stop every few hours or less, as needed for fuel, food, sight seeing, or even a little cat nap.
post #20 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 9:56 am

I never had a problem with the stock seat, I think it's fine. I've done plenty of 800 mile days and the only thing that bothered me was my ears. The wind for such a long period of time even with the windshield up. Next long trip I'm going to wear ear plugs..

02 LT
post #21 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 10:12 am

You are one of the lucky ones then Cav... My 09 seat lasts all of about 15 mins before it gets uncomfortable within an hour there is no other choice but to get off.

Question for all you others out there I'm 6 4" round about 270 I'm looking at a new saddle soon the question I have is in regard to a back rest how many of you my size have one and does it help or does it just get in the way? this bike is not like the old v twin where you can sit back to get comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno
I never had a problem with the stock seat, I think it's fine. I've done plenty of 800 mile days and the only thing that bothered me was my ears. The wind for such a long period of time even with the windshield up. Next long trip I'm going to wear ear plugs..

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #22 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 10:16 am

I bought my LT with a rick mayer seat on it and I have to say I am not impressed. My butt is almost completly numb after 100 miles and the stiching is ripping out down the side of it. I tried to e-mail them about repairing it, but that was over two weeks ago and still not reply of any kind, it will be sporting some duct tape before too long. The most I have ever done was 200 miles in a day and that was with a big break half way. I will say this is still the most comfortable bike i have owned, but i sure wish it was better.

2001 K1200LTC
1998 Suzuki Marauder 800
1982 Suzuki GS550L
post #23 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 10:36 am

Caveno, if you ride while listening to tunes you might want to consider custom molded ear phones. $35 from a company called earfuze. Best $35 I ever spent. Almost too quiet but when you arrive at your destination you will be amazed at how much better you feel. They are comfortable because you fit them to the little nooks and crannies in your outer ear. They don't work their way out, they don't fall out, and they let you listen to your music at a very quiet level.

Foamies work ok but are a pain to get in. The soft plastic ones with the little "rings of Saturn" design work well and are easier to put in place.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #24 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
You are one of the lucky ones then Cav... My 09 seat lasts all of about 15 mins before it gets uncomfortable within an hour there is no other choice but to get off.

Question for all you others out there I'm 6 4" round about 270 I'm looking at a new saddle soon the question I have is in regard to a back rest how many of you my size have one and does it help or does it just get in the way? this bike is not like the old v twin where you can sit back to get comfortable.
I could not ride more than a hundred miles without my BakUp - however I have it adjusted so that it puts LOTS of pressure on my lower spine. This forces me to sit up straight and allows my spine to take an "S" shape - the way it was meant to be. I find I have a lot less neck and shoulder fatigue by doing this. It takes some getting used to, and the stock polyurethane in the BakUp is definitely not up to snuff for this since it causes too much pressure on the spinous process.

I do, however, know a guy that can rebuild the standard BakUp with an inch of high density, and a half inch of medium density 3M visco elastic foam. Oh yeah, there's also breathable mesh to keep your skin cool and happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0635.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	27271  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #25 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Let me guess... you are retired?
Nope work full time. I just like to enjoy my ride by stopping and enjoying the scenery. I am in no hurry to go any where or I would take a jet.

Al
Spokane
WA
post #26 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 1:05 pm

I've had two LT's both with the stock seat. I found my 2000 to be more comfortable than my 2003 for some reason. They may have changed the seat slightly. Remember also that the seat has two positions. I have found the higher to be more comfortable for me, but you should try both and see how they each feel to you.

I also move my legs as much as possible, and use the rear pegs part of the time to get my weight in a diffeerent place than any foot forward position allows.

I agree that hydration is important, and not eating a bunch of sweets. I still haven't gotten a camelback.

I did 500 miles Tuesday in two stops and 7 hours riding time with a fair number of work zones. If you want to do 700-1000 mile days you need to be going speeds that keep your saddle time to 12-14 hours max and walk the whole time you are stopped to promote circualtion in your legs.

Personally my biggest problems are my knees and hips on long days (over 500 miles). Get out and ride 100 or more miles every time you get a chance and work your way up. They don't call long distance riders Iron Butt for nothing.

That's my $.02

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #27 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt

There is actually a serious (ahem) grooming issue that can help...

If you are like me and resemble an ape when unclothed, you may find that some strategic hair trimming will work wonders. I find that sitting on the bike makes hair pull the skin which makes for much soreness after about 40 miles.

Just pussin' through.
post #28 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 3:21 pm
Ted

Quote:
I have MOPs and Backup and an inch thick gel pad and still am sore after 300 miles or so. I can't seem to find a comfortable riding position as I can't "stay still". I also wear a pair of bicycle riding shorts as well.
I think the problem is between the gel pad and the bicycle shorts....I've logged over 60K on my stock 2003 seat, with days between 800 - 1,200 miles. What I found helps the most (other than custom seat) is to reduce the seams or anything else that can bunch up and create pressure points.

Somebody recommended the ldrider shorts which are good but expensive. Another alternative is Under Armour shorts which are about $20 per pair. Even the seams in jeans pockets can become uncomfortable - so choose your pants and riding gear carefully. BMW made a garment similar to long underwear which is great, but then you are stuck with keeping your riding gear on at stops, etc, but if you're goal is to ride long distances (you don't say how much over 300 miles you want to go) then keeping gear on shouldn't be an issue.

Also +1 on hydration and shifting your position.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #29 of 31 Old May 6th, 2010, 3:23 pm

That's a nice looking backrest Ron. And just so everyone knows no I will not be getting manicure I like going commando!

I've had backrest's before on my other bikes but being the LT is so different I'm truly puzzled how well it would work unless I could get it all the way to the lowest part of the back for support I'm a cheap bugger I don't want to spend the extra 300 to find out LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I could not ride more than a hundred miles without my BakUp - however I have it adjusted so that it puts LOTS of pressure on my lower spine. This forces me to sit up straight and allows my spine to take an "S" shape - the way it was meant to be. I find I have a lot less neck and shoulder fatigue by doing this. It takes some getting used to, and the stock polyurethane in the BakUp is definitely not up to snuff for this since it causes too much pressure on the spinous process.

I do, however, know a guy that can rebuild the standard BakUp with an inch of high density, and a half inch of medium density 3M visco elastic foam. Oh yeah, there's also breathable mesh to keep your skin cool and happy.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #30 of 31 Old May 7th, 2010, 12:30 am

My 02 LT came with a Corbin seat on it. (He also gave me the stock seat) Rode it home with the Corbin. A couple of days later I put the stock seat back on because it allowed me to touch the ground better. I actually liked the stock seat. But after riding a few thousand miles I decided that I would try the Corbin again with the backrest. Wow! Much better on my old back. Plus I think they look better with a backrest. I realize that Corbin isn't as highly rated here as others, but with the backrest its definitely better than the stock.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #31 of 31 Old May 7th, 2010, 12:45 am
Cat Herder

Garage

I always go to the chiropractor before a long ride and I make sure I stay hydrated.
I use a stock seat and never really have any issues.

Its important to check your alignment before you spend money on a seat and other remedies you may not need

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in