Another Brake Flush Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:43 pm Thread Starter

Another Brake Flush Question

Hello All,

Sorry for beating the dead horse but I have a few questions about the process and needed items for flushing the braking system, so I get it right the first time.

For starters, I have an '07 K1200LT, I have downloaded, printed and read many times over the procedures found in the File Repository on this topic.(see listing below)
Thanks to all for providing this information. What a wonderful wealth of knowledge. WOW!!

BMW Integral ABS System Wheel Circuit Reservoir Filling Adapter
(by Dana Hager & Charles Gilman)

BMW Integral ABS System Flushing and Bleeding 101
(by Dana Hager & Charles Gilman)

Changing Brake Fluid On an '02-later K1200LT Integral Brake System - Version 1.0
(by Mark Neblett)

Addenda for Flushing 05 Brake Wheel Circuit
(by- forum user name - jzeiler )

Everything I have read looks straight forward. I don't think I will have a problem if I follow the steps and do not deviate from them.

The questions I have about the procedure are:

To bleed the right front port. Which is better, speed bleeders or a BMW bleed screw? Where do you get either? Do I need them? Is this port like the clutch that I can use a wooden dowel to depress the check ball, or dose that just make a big mess?

Is it necessary to have the BMW Dealer conduct a MoDiTeC Bleed test afterwards?

When making the filling adapter. The top that they are speaking of, is that just a cap to the reservoir? (BMW PN# 34 51 7 677 998)

Lastly, How many people have done this successfully? If you have what is in your opinion the skill level needed?

Thanks
TOM G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:10 pm

Re: Another Brake Flush Question

just bled my brakes on my 06 for the first time in March. I read all the same articles you did and it was not at all a hard job to accomplish. Just take your time and be careful not to spell brake fluid on your painted surfaces.

ABS fill adapter get from beemerboneyard, don't try to make it yourself. It is cheap compared to bmw tool or trying to track down materials and your time to make.

Get speedbleeders from speedbeeders.com. I installed them and used them to bleed front and rear brakes and the clutch. They work great and the job only requires one person. While at speedbleeders order the iv bag for collecting the old brake fluid, it worked great.

When you do the clutch line I recommend you remove the entire grub screw assembly and leave your speed bleeder in its place. the grubscrew assembly has loctite on the threads so you will need to heat it(I used wifes hair dryer) awhile to loosen the loctite so you can break it loose. I used two wrenches. A pair of visegrips holding the base and an open end wrench to breal it loose, it is tight.

lay a razor blade inside you clutch and front brake reservoirs when you bleed those points it will prevent the brake fluid from squirting into the air when pumping brakes.

you will need a small 7mm open end wrench to open and close the long bleeders on the ABS unit and of course you will use the fill adapter on the other two ports.

Good Luck

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #3 of 14 Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:14 pm

missed your last couple of questions.

No you do not need the MoDiTec after completion and you do not need a hight skill level to complete the job.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic

post #4 of 14 Old May 4th, 2010, 11:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone
just bled my brakes on my 06 for the first time in March. I read all the same articles you did and it was not at all a hard job to accomplish. Just take your time and be careful not to spell brake fluid on your painted surfaces.

ABS fill adapter get from beemerboneyard, don't try to make it yourself. It is cheap compared to bmw tool or trying to track down materials and your time to make.

Get speedbleeders from speedbeeders.com. I installed them and used them to bleed front and rear brakes and the clutch. They work great and the job only requires one person. While at speedbleeders order the iv bag for collecting the old brake fluid, it worked great.

When you do the clutch line I recommend you remove the entire grub screw assembly and leave your speed bleeder in its place. the grubscrew assembly has loctite on the threads so you will need to heat it(I used wifes hair dryer) awhile to loosen the loctite so you can break it loose. I used two wrenches. A pair of visegrips holding the base and an open end wrench to breal it loose, it is tight.

lay a razor blade inside you clutch and front brake reservoirs when you bleed those points it will prevent the brake fluid from squirting into the air when pumping brakes.

you will need a small 7mm open end wrench to open and close the long bleeders on the ABS unit and of course you will use the fill adapter on the other two ports.

Good Luck
I did my '07 last fall from the information available on this site. No problem, everything worked fine. A couple of other thoughts:

1) You'll probably want to made a bend in the 7mm wrench for better access to the ABS unit, so you may want to purchase one that will be used just for this purpose.

2) It helps to have an extra pair of hands when you do the ABS unit. I did mine alone by reaching over the bike and operating the lever while opening and closing the bleed screws, but it certainly would have been easier to have some help.

3) When done, I took the bike out to see how it braked and didn't have much braking in the rear. I re-bled the rear ports for the ABS unit and that solved the problem. Must have gotten just a bit of air in the line.

Just take your time and use the excellent directions from this site. It's not hard, but you do want to do it correctly since it's your brakes we're talking about here.

Good luck.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cowwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 14 Old May 4th, 2010, 1:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

All good advice. The flushing need only be done on the "tall" bleeder on the ABS unit. BMW came out with a bulletin that eliminated the old 1,2,3 & 1 again on the flush. You still must follow that sequence for a bleed of the control circuit but not a good flush. That helps a lot. I don't use speed bleeders on any of the ports but do use the speed bleeder bag. With it held above the bleed port you can open it and keep it open as you pump. No need to open ,pump, close and repeat.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone,

Hope to have all supplies by Friday and tackle the job this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

If anyone is in the Spotsylvania, VA area this weekend and wants to lend a hand come on by.

Thanks Again
TOM G.

Last edited by tom39; May 4th, 2010 at 8:12 pm. Reason: Add info
post #7 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2010, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Well life got in the way of flushing the ABS system since my last post.
Anyway, I have the time and it is raining so I thought that I would try and tackle the job today. I have the Tupperware off the left side exposing the ABS unit. I have the funnel and DOT4 fluid. But I have a few more questions.
1. Which reservoir is for the front and which is the rear? Looking down at the unit facing the front, which reservoir is the left and which is the right?
2. The frame rail of the bike is in the way and will not allow the funnel to be screwed into the reservoir on the front right. How is this obstacle overcome? Do you have to loosen the ABS unit and tilt at an angle in order for the cap to screw in? Or do I need to cut the funnel and install a piece of flexible hose in the center to provide flexibility to the funnel tube?

I attached a picture of the ABS unit. The picture is taken from the direction of the left side rear looking forward.

Thank You
TOM G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5220109.JPG
Views:	792
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	27493  

Last edited by tom39; May 22nd, 2010 at 5:43 pm. Reason: Typo
post #8 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2010, 6:40 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yep install a short piece of clear hose and all is well. John schooled me on that. It is not to bad of a job, and once through it the second should be a charm.

I need to get after the ABS unit for the rear and see if I can get a stiffer rear pedal and check both ABS pots before my trip coming up to the Adirondack's early/mid June.

Also unplugging the big electronic connection gives more room.

I went to Advance Auto as the tools are craftsman and guaranteed as such. However not when you are going to put it in a vise and bend it. But at least it is relatively inexpensive, quality tool to start. Mine bent no issues other then stretching the coating at the bend a bit. It is easier to manipulate as you don't get, or NEED a lot of turn on the ABS ports, so go easy on them.

With all the reading you have done and help on this forum, you will be fine.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2010, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom39
Well life got in the way of flushing the ABS system since my last post.
Anyway, I have the time and it is raining so I thought that I would try and tackle the job today. I have the Tupperware off the left side exposing the ABS unit. I have the funnel and DOT4 fluid. But I have a few more questions.
1. Which reservoir is for the front and which is the rear? Looking down at the unit facing the front, which reservoir is the left and which is the right?
The Front is the taller one . look at the Addendum file for the brake flush & it shows it marked as #1.
Quote:
2. The frame rail of the bike is in the way and will not allow the funnel to be screwed into the reservoir on the front right. How is this obstacle overcome? Do you have to loosen the ABS unit and tilt at an angle in order for the cap to screw in? Or do I need to cut the funnel and install a piece of flexible hose in the center to provide flexibility to the funnel tube?
As mentioned below, cut the funnel stem approx 1" from bottom & use a piece of tube to allow for the funnel to be offset.
Also remove the ABS electrical plug as per instruction in 'Brake Flush'

Quote:
I attached a picture of the ABS unit. The picture is taken from the direction of the left side rear looking forward.

Thank You
TOM G.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2010, 7:49 pm

Tom - looking from your back to the front of the bike, the rear wheel circuits are on your left and the front are on the right. The long bleeder screws will bleed your control circuit(line between your brake handles and the abs unit) the reservoirs will bleed the wheel circuit(abs unit to the calipers). Leave your ignition off bleeding the control circuits and turn your ignition on for the wheel circuits(so your servo pump will work).

The funnel fits, I had too work on it a while to squezze it in at a little angle, but it worked.

Good Luck

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #11 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2010, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Everything going well. I was skeptical that the condition of the fluid would be noticeable but after bleeding the control circuit I am a believer. My LT only has 2700mi on it but the fluid in the control circuit was a clearly a darker brown. Simply amazing.

Sorry for all the questions but I have a few more if you could be so kind.

What is the purpose for removing the calipers and making these wooden block inserts? Can't you just bleed the caliper with it attached?

Do I need to bleed both bleeders on the rear caliper?

Thanks Again
TOM G.
post #12 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:30 pm

the wooden blocks keep your caliper pistons pushed all the way back into the caliper and reduces the amount of fluid that has to be flushed.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #13 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

OH, OK. That makes sense. So basically pushing out as much old fluid trapped in the caliper as possible.
I went and made the blocks. I actually used a plastic cutting board and ran it thru my planner for the right thickness. Worked quite well.
I finished both control circuits and flushed the rear wheel circuit. Wow the difference in the fluid color!
On a funny note. After I bolted the rear caliper back on I topped off the fluid and did a quick check on the brake response. Much to my surprise I had no brakes. The look of terror on my face must have been horrific because my wife looked at me and gasped. Then I remembered that I had not pumped the pad against the rotor. Let me tell you when the wheel kept spinning when the pedal was pushed, I got this sicking feeling in my gut like I was going to puke.

Thank for the help
TOM G.
post #14 of 14 Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

JOB IS DONE!!

10X easier than I had expected thanks to everyone's help.

Thank You All Very Much
TOM G.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in