Stuck Turn Signal Cancel Switch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2010, 9:53 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Stuck Turn Signal Cancel Switch

Every time it rains my cancel switch for the turn signals stays down. I have to manually release it with my thumb. If I forget to release it the next time I need to use my turn signal they won't work because the cancel switch is depressed. I haven't sprayed the switch with anything yet. I'm thinking about trying WD-40 first. Any thoughts?.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:05 pm

Re: Stuck Turn Signal Cancel Switch

A couple of years ago I had my horn button sticking. I sprayed it with electrical contact cleaner. After a couple of times, it freed the button. You do not want to use wd-40 as it will stay wet and attack dirt. The contact cleaner dries instantly.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:15 pm

Hi, Dave. You mentioned that a few days ago, but then we went on to talk about something else. I hadn't thought about the sticking switch until now. You might want to take the switch housing apart and check for accumulated gunk around it. I doubt spraying WD-40 in it would hurt anything, but if there is substance surrounding the switch, it would probably be best to get it out, rather than move it around. I just looked at my switch with a flashlight and there's not much to see from the outside. When the throttle cables were swapped last year, I didn't pay attention to the inside of the switch housing. I don't know if there would be anything to see from there either. Sorry, not much help.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

post #4 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:20 pm

Electrical cleaner is a better bet. Take it apart completely though to get it really clean.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #5 of 5 Old May 4th, 2010, 12:39 am

careful.. some of those cleaners eat plastic.. I'd sure take apart and remove the gunkiness. Use the cleaner on the electrical contacts.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in