Additional light sources in Europe? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Additional light sources in Europe?

Hi all,

I've been browsing the forums and the FAQ for a while, to find which kind of additional light I can install (I just had a terrible ride in the night under the rain, I felt like I was riding with the lights off!!!)

I've read that installing different and more powerful lamps is not always a good idea. Therefore I was considering some additional lights, like the small HID/PIAA models that are hidden under the original headlight.

I couldn't find an European distributor though: is there anyone that has already ridden this horse before? How did you buy your lights?

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 4th, 2010, 2:59 am

Re: Additional light sources in Europe?

Hi Corrado,

forget about the PIAA lights as we have the Hella over here. Here is a nice Xenon set: http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detail.jsp?ID=1003

And here is how I installed them on my LT: http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizqui...DEINSTALLATION#

And of course you should convert your stock lights to HID (Xenons) as well. Here is an idea of the ballast installation: http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizqui...STINSTALLATION#

And if you feel that you still need more lights, go for the Hella FF halogens:
http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizquierdo/FOGLIGHTS# or http://picasaweb.google.fi/pozoizqui...GLIGHTBRACKETS#

Just call your local Hella dealer or any auto parts store, they should carry these.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMGP3853.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	27231  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old May 4th, 2010, 6:01 am Thread Starter

Garage

It's really dark, there in the Northern Countries

Thanks for the good advices, I'm specifically interested in option #1 (the small Xenon lights) or in option #2 (replacing the stock lights). How much do you improve by replacing the original light with HID: enough for a decent highway ride?

For the second option: I see that - other than the HELLA ballast - you also have a philips unit. What is this for? Is that an original BMW component?

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V

post #4 of 7 Old May 4th, 2010, 6:39 am

Actually - as you know - in the summertime our night is only 2 - 4 hours long but as soon as the autumn comes - then the darkness hits. In November we have only 5 hours daylight...

Converting your stock lights to HIDs is your step #1. That already gives enormous improvement to your lighting. Step 2 would be to add the aux Micro Xenons under the nose cone.
And then if you really want to blind all the oncoming truckers with their roof mounted 4 to 8 halogen driving lights you add the rest...

The Philips ballasts belong to my older (Hella) HID conversion kit that I installed back in 2005. Nowadays the ballasts have become smaller and easier to find a location for installation.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #5 of 7 Old May 4th, 2010, 7:19 am
cws

Garage

wouldn't the '06 already have Xenon's as standard? That was one of the main changes from our 05's....

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 7 Old May 4th, 2010, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
wouldn't the '06 already have Xenon's as standard? That was one of the main changes from our 05's....
That depends on the market area. In some areas it was an option if the importer so decided...

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #7 of 7 Old May 4th, 2010, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
That depends on the market area. In some areas it was an option if the importer so decided...
I think I've seen some classified Ads mentioning "Xenon Light Option" when I was looking for my '06, which I bough used in 2008. Mine wasn't mentioning it, so I assume that was an optional.

Judging from the poor light I get out of the headlight, I'm quite sure I have no Xenon. My other BMW (the cage: a 320d Futura with Xenon lights) throws a completely different light

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in