Russell or Kontour for sore tail end? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old May 3rd, 2010, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Russell or Kontour for sore tail end?

I`m tired of the sore butt. Finally going to check into new seat. I really like the cool butt theory of the Kontour seat. Lots of people talk well of their Russells. I think they look strange butt are they that good?For a 1200lt please give me some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Russell or Kontour for sore tail end?

I had the Ron Miller seat before he had the really cool fabric and his old stuff was fantastic. I just could not get it wide enough (that was before the "Magnum"). I got the Russell and love it, now if I could just get Ron to re-cover it in Polartec. By the way I weigh 250 and have no natural padding in the back side, in fact I have a hardtime keeping my pants up. So the Russel was a good fit. I think I could get by with Ron's Magnum now, but three years ago he advised me to go Russell. Hope that helps. And the guy that bought my old Ron Miller seat is very happy with it and it looks brand new after 5 years.

Now make a choice?!? Hope this helped.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old May 3rd, 2010, 9:59 pm

On my pervious bike - a K1200GT I had a Russell seat and I loved it. With my LT, the stock seat is working out well for me, but if I had any problems I would not hesitate to get a Russell seat on it. It was the best seat I ever had on a bike - worth the cost. The wife and I did a 13 hour run on it, my butt was OK but my hands were tired!

Have a safe ride.

Hanshi
Reading, PA
Current Bikes:
2007 BMW K1200LT (Black)
2008 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (red)
HF Tag-Along Trailer
Past Bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT (Grey-Green)
2004 Suzuki Intruder (Black)

post #4 of 26 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:01 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I have a hardtime keeping my pants up.

Nice visual...

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #5 of 26 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had a Russell on a K1100 LT that I absolutely loved. However, we never did get the pillion seat to fit right for the SO. Like they say, when mama ain't happy...well, you know the rest.

On my current 2007 LT, I had the seat rebuilt by Rich's in Seattle, WA. Outstanding work, outstanding fit and comfort. From 100 miles and miserable pain with the stock seat to 1000 mile days, no problem. The stock pillion seat has been perfect for the SO, so we didn't have anything done to it.

I haven't used one of Ron's seats, but wouldn't hesitate to. The members here give them great reviews.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 26 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:25 pm
cwo

I got a Kontour seat just last month, and it's the best seat I've ever had. Rode eleven hours today, and still feel good.
post #7 of 26 Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:32 pm

I have a Russell, and love it. I did a SS1000 on the stock seat and was in serious pain. with the Russell, I have ridden over 2000 miles in two days, and what a difference.

I had contacted Ron Miller prior to ordering the Russell, and since I live in a colder climate, I decided I didn't want the "cooling effect" of his seat. This is in no way meant to knock his seat, but we don't have alot of real heat up here. The majority of the time I ride, I am looking for ways to stay warm, not cool.

If you can wait until winter, Russell usually has a deal. I got my seat for much less than the other companies.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:34 pm

I put on a new Russell this spring. I already have 1400 miles on it and love it!! Went for a lunch ride with my buddies last week and when we got home I saw we did over 450 miles.
I used to be in pain after 70 miles...not anymore!!! Seat fits like a glove. A little different feeling putting my feet down now, but I am starting to get used to it. I highly recommend a Russell. Great customer service also!

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
post #9 of 26 Old May 4th, 2010, 12:38 am

Kontour.. just gets Buttah and Buttah.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 26 Old May 4th, 2010, 7:20 am

Did contour make a seat for bigger people I.e. 250 lbs or better? I thought that was one of the initial limitations on the Kontour. Magnum may have solved this problem but not sure.

Being in the north country and prefering to ride when the temps are 80 and below I have the Russell on both of my bikes. If I lived in the south where temperatures don't get below 80 I would seriously consider a Kontour.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #11 of 26 Old May 4th, 2010, 7:47 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Another vote for the Russel with heavy duty wings. I just cant say enough on how great a seat they make.

Love mine, all leather, and with black shoe polish and Lexol Leather Treatment it is sealed. It does not take on water no matter how wet it gets.

You will not be disappointed.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 26 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:43 am

Cool Re: Russell or Kontour for sore tail end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
CFell is not a small guy
post #13 of 26 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:47 am

I got a Russell seat almost a year ago for the LT. I have not been disappointed. I can't speak for the Kontour seat. I rode on the stock seat then a Corbin. Those are the only saddles I have experence with. This past Saturday I did a 600 + ride and when I got home. I was talking to the boss of the house. I was saying to her about how the money for the seat had been worth it and I felt like I could have riden another 600 miles. With the other seats I couldn't have said that. The only thing I would suggest. If you know of someone who has either of these saddles. See you could get a test ride. One bump for Russell, there was a issue on the shipping and Russell stepped up and covered the shipping cost. I thought that was a stand up move. My two cents. Good luck.

Michael Dale
post #14 of 26 Old May 4th, 2010, 9:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
As said before, cfell isn't tiny. He has a Kontour magnum and is extremely happy. We swapped bikes for a few miles a while back and even though the seat is too much for me (I need a regular since I'm only 200 lbs.) I was very impressed. I'm saving my pennies now for one of Ron's Kontour seats.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #15 of 26 Old May 4th, 2010, 1:46 pm

I had both on the GT and the Russell is the better by far.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #16 of 26 Old May 4th, 2010, 5:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Russell or Kontour for sore tail end?

I've had both the Russell (on my R1100R) and a Kontour (on my 2005 LT). They are both great seats! The Russell has a bit longer break in period than the Kontour. The Kontour is great in warm weather versus the Russell, which is warmer during colder climates. If you get the Kontour, don't bother with transferring the OEM seat heating pad, it doesn't work well at all. The "wings" of the Russell seat take a bit of time to become accustomed to and the Russell needs (or you should get) the optional rain cover for use if you are riding in a heavy rain.
In summary, they are both good seats and whatever choice you make, they are light years ahead of the stock seat.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #17 of 26 Old May 6th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Just another reply...though somewhat late.

I studied all the various options in great detail and learned that with many custom seat makers you need to be able to ride in. When you have a seat that will put you in severe pain in only 50 to 70 miles it is hard to ride across country to California to have a custom seat made. I know they are now using LT comfort seats to replace waterboarding to torture terrorists. My research included reviewing many comments of people who had purchased the various seats, along with price and styling. I came down to Russell or Kontour. Where I live we can ride almost year round. It gets hot in the summer which made Kontour a good selection, but my spouse will use the seat heaters when the temperature is in the 60's. Knowing that while I need comfort her happiness is more important. (I have been married for almost 27 years, so I have learned a few things.) Therefore, I would need to get a Russell based on that one requirement. Although, my spouse liked the original seat. Some other considerations were the Russell that I purchased was cheaper than the Kontour (purchased as part of a group sale this past fall) and had a little more styling. Although in July I am sure the Kontour would feel very good.

I have ridden over 500 miles on my new Russell and it is a drastic improvement. I love. My spouse was not as excited at first. The thicker back rest and seat were not what she was used to. I moved the trunk box back and after some riding she likes it much more. She just had to get used to the new feel. Since I could get some extra styling done I thought I would take advantage of the opportunity. I am very pleased with the look, the ride, and the assistance I received from Russell. They even sent me samples to make sure I picked the right colors. Hopefully, I have attached some pictures. I think it turned out pretty well...even with the wings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Seat 4.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	949.9 KB
ID:	27278   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT Seat 1.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	936.0 KB
ID:	27279  
post #18 of 26 Old May 7th, 2010, 12:28 am

Smile Re: Russell or Kontour for sore tail end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrider
I know they are now using LT comfort seats to replace waterboarding to torture terrorists.
That is definetely inhumane and unconstitutional

2002 K1200LT
post #19 of 26 Old May 7th, 2010, 11:39 am

A Kontour question, and no Ron?? WTF?

Paging Ron to the white courtesy phone, paging Ron to the white courtesy phone please!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #20 of 26 Old May 7th, 2010, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
A Kontour question, and no Ron?? WTF?

Paging Ron to the white courtesy phone, paging Ron to the white courtesy phone please!
I'm too busy servicing the LT...

...and looking for my heated vest!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yosemite.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	27280  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #21 of 26 Old May 7th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Sorry about your weather Ron. 500 mile ride tomorrow, High temp 67* F and sunny sunny sunny!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I'm too busy servicing the LT...

...and looking for my heated vest!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #22 of 26 Old May 7th, 2010, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Sorry about your weather Ron. 500 mile ride tomorrow, High temp 67* F and sunny sunny sunny!

Loren
Nah, that was for Yosemite this coming week - where I'm headin' with the missus.

One could only WISH that would happen in May in Tucson - although the high for a few days after this Sunday will only be in the mid 80's.

Stay safe out there!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 26 Old May 7th, 2010, 11:25 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses guys. Sorry so slow to get back but this time of year for me means long work days and going to bed is all I want to do when I get home. I still am having a hard time here, I know they are both good seats just deciding is hard. Again thanks!!!
post #24 of 26 Old May 8th, 2010, 12:35 am

Gotta tell ya..
The stock was sheer torture...

The Kontour Magnum fixed this bike.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #25 of 26 Old May 8th, 2010, 12:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
"...I weigh 250 and have no natural padding in the back side, in fact I have a hardtime keeping my pants up...."

John...I didn't know you made the calendar in '08...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JZeiler calendar.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	27292  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #26 of 26 Old May 8th, 2010, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodbuster
Thanks for all the responses guys. Sorry so slow to get back but this time of year for me means long work days and going to bed is all I want to do when I get home. I still am having a hard time here, I know they are both good seats just deciding is hard. Again thanks!!!
You need to first consider you physical attribute, the width of your butt & your weight.
I purchased a Rick Mayer seat with the basket weave material - 4 years & it is like night & day. He has the seat pan and you send yours back when the seat arrives (he returns the deposit check)
Russell has the springs and do well for big wide fella's.
Ron's seats are great, and can customize to your liking.
All I can say is I had the optional "Soft Touch" seat and it was like riding on a soft football. Was not to bad the first 700-1000 mile day BUT the following days is what was the killer!
Good luck with your selection!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in