How do you feel about this? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 3rd, 2010, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

How do you feel about this?

I find this predicament interesting, having to tear down to fix the leaking main seal and replace the clutch. I've wondered, after reading many posts on this subject, how I'd feel about the BMW when 'my time came'. Well my time has come, although I had planned on tearing into it this coming winter. I'm just slightly ahead of my own schedule. But for all the bad I've read, and the anger that many seem to feel, I'm not that upset about it. I'm really thankful that I found this in my shop, and not on the side of the road in a land far far away.
So, clean the shop, spend some quality time reading the Clymers and some posts, and in we go. Actually, it's almost a good thing. 68,000 miles on her, just got the new shocks installed, have the Russell Day-long seats, love the bike, and now I'll have a new clutch etc., and might as well get the FD rebuilt just for the he!! of it. No longer feel the burning desire to see what the new and improved LT might be.
Just not that big a deal. Certainly not enough to get in a big huff about, or vent and pout. I just may have to lean on a few of you guys in the next week or so, so don't go too far, K?
How have you that've gone before me feel about it?

Oh, and Silver Buffalo: it wasn't my fault, honest!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 3rd, 2010, 7:33 pm

Re: How do you feel about this?

I've done more than $9k worth of work to my bike in the last 2 years.... It gets easier every time is how I feel.... and nothing surprises me.... I just park it for 6 months.... get tired of looking at it and then get after it. It is disgusting at first but now that I have more of a new bike than I did before it failed I feel ok about the whole ordeal.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old May 3rd, 2010, 7:36 pm

Well, ya' know any time with the bike is better than the best day in the office..........It really has never bothered me one wit to tear into a project..........Sounds like you know how these things work, get after it.............You'll feel so much better when you roll out of the shop.......trust me on this one.............It's not like the LT is wanting to leave you sittin' on the side of the road somewhere. Crap happens man.......you caught it in the barn.......think of that as a real blessing to my way of thinking................

Best of all to you...and enjoy the quality time..............Will be thinking of you and do 'B-Safe'............Jim

post #4 of 6 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:23 pm

I genuinely enjoyed working on my old bike (2003LT) and had no problem with potential upcoming involved repairs if and when they turned up. It's broke, you work hard and fix it, it is fixed and YOU did it, you go ride. How great is that? I would bet the parts are cheaper than the therapy expense to get that rush of feel good.

Bob Pond
2009 K1200LT
potius sero quam nunquam
post #5 of 6 Old May 4th, 2010, 9:16 pm

Great attitude. I'm one of those that likes working on the bike almost as much as riding it. Best of luck with your project.

2002 K1200LT
post #6 of 6 Old May 4th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Like the rest of you--I do not mind working on my bike...what I don't like....

...waiting for parts from the Fatherland...

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in