Wish list for new LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old May 3rd, 2010, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Question Wish list for new LT

I thought I would start a list of things I would like to see on the new LT. Then later we can compare and see how many they got right and begin to list all the things we wish they would have left alone . Now I'm sure many of the things we could think of would be unrealistic. If anyone thinks a given submission is unrealistic, feel free to say so. I'm sure we all have different priorities when it comes to the bike. Also, if you agree strongly with a previous submission, point that out as well.

I will begin with a couple that are most important to me.

10 year 100k original owner drive train warranty...... cars have them.

Better mirrors.... the function is ok by me but the durability is horrific.

Larger fuel tank..... I want 10 gallons... I would settle for 8.

I have more but this is foremost on my mind currently.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old May 3rd, 2010, 6:12 pm

Re: Wish list for new LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that 0 out of those 3 will be on the next gen LT.
post #3 of 22 Old May 3rd, 2010, 6:55 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious

I have more but this is foremost on my mind currently.
Things that can leak (ummm... like a clutch salve cylinder) in an EASILY ACCESSIBLE LOCATION!

OR, a pre-drilled weep hole!!!

Just watched the videos on how to drill the weep hole - seems silly to have to disassemble half the bike to get to the slave cyl.!!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush

post #4 of 22 Old May 3rd, 2010, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that 0 out of those 3 will be on the next gen LT.
I still wish ..... surely the mirrors will be better....

ok how about....

180 hp.... seems reasonable considering the size of the new power plant....

oh....and don't call me Shirley...

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:26 pm

Another 25 hp on the top end and 30-40 lb ft below 5,000 rpm. You shouldn't have to rev a touring bike like a 600 cc sport bike to make it go.

Get rid of the tapered hand grips. It's an unnatural size and shape that I feel it adds to fatigue.

Put a good seat on it. If only 50% of the new owners liked it that would be a 90% improvement over the current generation.

Make the passenger seat portion adjustable vertically. I've talked to several gals (my wife included) that won't ride on the back of an LT because they're sitting too high and far back and feel vulnerable. Takes them completely out of their comfort zone.

Keep the nav system as a separate unit like on the current model. Take the CB and a satellite radio option and make them hidden add-on modules.

Please keep the neat electro-hydraulic center stand but get it to suck up tighter under the bike. That way it won't drag and look like a appendage hanging from a female hyena.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #6 of 22 Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:37 pm

Add the things everyone buys as aftermarket to the bike as OEM....

+ additional forward lights (PIAA or the like)
+ more high vis LED tail lights (brake and turn)
+ turn indicators incorporated into the mirrors (on both sides of the mirrors)
+ I-Pod/MP3 connectors integrated into an easily modifiable sound system (or make it able for the owner to choose and install their own sound system....pre-wire the speakers).
+ Bluetooth for telephone, intercom, radio, FRS/CB
+ pre-wire connectors into a relay/fuse bus box for farkles under the seat, under the fairing, and under the nose cone so owners don't have to wire rat's nests under their bikes!
+ REGULAR 12V plug-in adapters!
+ In-frame fuel tank.....or one with a lower COG

oh....and training wheels for new riders!

Just a few thoughts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Last edited by BlauBeeMr; May 3rd, 2010 at 8:55 pm.
post #7 of 22 Old May 3rd, 2010, 9:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Many good ideas so far. Here is my list:

1. A final drive that is no longer a source of worry.

2. Either seals that are good for at least 100K miles or a wet clutch or maybe both.

3. A slave cylinder that doesn't leak and/or wear out.

4. Lighter weight.

5. I'm pretty happy with the power level and engine size. Sure, a little more low-end torque would be nice, but I'm not willing to sacrifice fuel mileage to get it. I can rev her up occasionally.

6. A 6th gear to get cruising RPM down to 2500 or so, combined with a lower first gear for easier starts on hills.

7. A long distance seat!

8. Electrically adjustable suspension like the other K bikes.

9. Integrated CB, FRS, GPS, intercom/bluetooth, etc. that can be added as hidden modules as someone else mentioned.

10. Trunk latches that don't break.

11. More cubby hole storage for small items.

12. Accessories such as cup holders that don't cost $150!

13. Body work with either quick disconnect fasteners such as the Dzus fasteners on airplane cowlings or, better yet, bodywork that can be opened on a hinge like a car hood. Have both side fairings open outward and the headlight/windshield open forward and the Stingray easily pop off once the other panels are opened.

14. Bags and travel trunk that quick release without tools.

15. Moditec eliminated and all such diagnostic and congtrol functions integrated into the onboard computer and accessible through either an integrated LCD display (best) or a laptop or PDA.

16. All maintenance items easily accessible! Having to remove most bodywork and the fuel tank just to change the air fliter or a relay is simply stupid. Eliminate the need for special tools such as cut-away sockets or provide them as a standard part of the tool kit.

17. Power the center stand both directions. The bike can be a bear to rock off the stand if you are facing uphill even a little.

18. Lock the side stand.

19. Provide a means to check the oil level that doesn't require a flashlight.

20. Provide minimum maintenance intervals for other than oil chances that are at least 12K miles. Make brake and clutch systems that don't require fluid changes every two years. My cars go 10 years easily.

21. Provide hydraulic lifters that don't require adjustment. If Kawasaki can do it on the Voyager XII, BMW certainly can do it.

22. Provide a tire size/construction that will yield at least 15K miles. I barely get 9K on the ME880s.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, but this is a start.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 22 Old May 4th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Just bought my new (to me) 99 K1200LT with only 8,400 miles on it. I LOVE THIS BIKE! I have owned a lot of bikes and am sure that if I had started with a K1200LT, that would not have been the case. My wife is in love with it too! Here is my short list:

1. Electrically adjustable suspension
2. Digital Speedo and instrument custer (always thought that was sooo cool)
3. Locking side stand
4. More lighting upfront (I owned a Kawi ZZR 1200 stock that always blazed the trail at night)
5. A little beefier tire in the back to handle a few more ponys

#5 is purely a Tim Allen thing..... we could always use a little more power....right?

I refuse to tip-toe gingerly through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #9 of 22 Old May 5th, 2010, 12:56 am

Hi guys!

I think the new LT will

1. be lighter, little heavier than 1300GT but it cant be heavier than the lady we got here in the garage.

2. have a lot of electronics standard (bluetooth, intercom, xenonlights, maybe gps)

3. be much more expensive ( Im sorry to say so but I think the price will go up a lot from 1300GT)

4. have removable bags

In other words: I see a 1300GT with little bigger motor and with lot of electronics standard. Thats what I see!

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #10 of 22 Old May 5th, 2010, 7:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukka71
Hi guys!

I think the new LT will

1. be lighter, little heavier than 1300GT but it cant be heavier than the lady we got here in the garage.

2. have a lot of electronics standard (bluetooth, intercom, xenonlights, maybe gps)

3. be much more expensive ( Im sorry to say so but I think the price will go up a lot from 1300GT)

4. have removable bags

In other words: I see a 1300GT with little bigger motor and with lot of electronics standard. Thats what I see!
Yep. A slightly bigger, beefier K-GT with that new 1600cc motor. The price will have to compete with the Wing.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #11 of 22 Old May 5th, 2010, 7:22 am

Lots of nice wishes above..... I'll add or echo a few of mine since I know that the BMW factory people will be scanning this for ideas....

1. I'd love a rear top case that was easily removed and had a "tie down" rack below it, in it's place for times when it's not needed and I want to feel more sporty.

2. I want the powered center stand as an option. I definitely don't want or need it.

3. Much better forward lighting.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #12 of 22 Old May 5th, 2010, 8:09 am

1. Turn the damn wings the opposite direction and dish in the side to allow for more leg comfort it amazes me that this bike is built for a tall person but a tall person can't be comfortable because there is no leg room. Someone please pull that designers head out.
2. What is with that seat?? good grief the bike is billed as a "touring" bike but the seat starts failing after 15 mins of riding....Come on you can better than that.

3. The stereo system Really? look I know this bike is European but the days of Proprietary electronics I.E stereo's are dead and gone why would you put a system in a bike that A. cannot be repaired B. is so bloody expensive as to make it a joke have you seen the mod's to replace that pile of junk?

4. You built a 900 pound "Touring" motorcycle and put the lamest suspension system possible into it 300 pounds is all that system will handle you've got to be kidding me.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #13 of 22 Old May 5th, 2010, 11:10 am

I want what all REAL motorcycles have:

A kick starter!!!!
post #14 of 22 Old May 5th, 2010, 11:55 am

That's so 70's What we really desire is a true retro PULLCORD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I want what all REAL motorcycles have:

A kick starter!!!!

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #15 of 22 Old May 5th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Lots of nice wishes above..... I'll add or echo a few of mine since I know that the BMW factory people will be scanning this for ideas....

1. I'd love a rear top case that was easily removed and had a "tie down" rack below it, in it's place for times when it's not needed and I want to feel more sporty.

2. I want the powered center stand as an option. I definitely don't want or need it.

3. Much better forward lighting.
I don't think there looking for ideas, way past the idea stage. They polled us a couple years ago at one of the CCRs for ideas. A more interesting thread instead of a wish list might be a prediction list. Whoever gets the closest specs and features wins.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #16 of 22 Old May 5th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
I don't think there looking for ideas, way past the idea stage. They polled us a couple years ago at one of the CCRs for ideas. A more interesting thread instead of a wish list might be a prediction list. Whoever gets the closest specs and features wins.
That was "tongue in cheek."

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #17 of 22 Old May 5th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Voyager,

Your list nearly does it for me. Can't fault it, except I'd prefer the GPS to be external. Technology moves too fast, and a built in unit will quickly become obsolete.

I'd only add:

A compact compressor built in?
A front fender that works without the need for an aftermarket extension?
The old left bar/right bar turn switches, not the new "international" type?!
Digital radio on-board, and iPod connections, rather than built in CD player?
LCD speedometer and trip computer that can be switched between miles and km (useful to those of us who ride in Britain and Europe)?
Instruments that don't reflect in the screen at night?

And so long as they don't remove all the good things from the present model, everything will be fine.

It's good to dream.

Tom

Maidstone,
England

Deepest Black 2008 K1200LT Lux
post #18 of 22 Old May 6th, 2010, 12:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
I'd settle for a bit more reliability in what is already on the machine. There are so many sub-systems and they are all so "delicate" and when a small part of a larger system gets broken or bent you have to replace the entire system. This is absurd. I'd vote for easier access, more reliability and sturdier parts. This thing should be bullet-proof, not fragile. Yes, I know, be careful and considerate...but what the heck, this is my wish list.
post #19 of 22 Old May 6th, 2010, 8:51 am
cwo

It would be nice to have the power center stand, PIVOT... so it would pick up my bike when I drop it in parking lot.
post #20 of 22 Old May 7th, 2010, 1:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
It would be nice to have the power center stand, PIVOT... so it would pick up my bike when I drop it in parking lot.
Now that's funny right there!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #21 of 22 Old May 7th, 2010, 8:45 am

Did anyone say weigh 200 lbs less witht the same features we already have. This should help with the tire problem, but yeah, let's get 20k out of rear tires like the GW crowd.

Just two things for my $.02.

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #22 of 22 Old May 7th, 2010, 11:26 am

1. A little less weight.
2. 10 gallon tank
3. More storage
4. More torque

Unfortunately it will cost $30K, although the stronger dollar may help with that.

2008 GSXR 600

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in