First "long" ride two up and with new music - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:41 pm Thread Starter
Sit

First "long" ride two up and with new music

Have had my LT since late January and finally got out on it today with the Mrs for a longish ride two up, the first real ride two up since getting it. Ride went great, bike handled like a dream with no issues what so ever and did not really even seem to notice there was a second person on the back. Much better than my GS. And the Mrs had no complaints either. Her hip usually bothers her after a time, but not with the LT, she was good to go. Still does not know if she wants to do some of my long trips with me of 10 hour days, but will work her up to those if I can.

As for the music, love the radio on the bike and not having to fiddle fart around with an ipod and helmet speakers etc. But of course as you leave the metro area, radio stations fade away. Read a post here the other day about a cigarette lighter put into the top box for power. Eureka! I already had a remote little charge thing for my itouch so I can play it in my old truck over the radio and I don't want to buy the over expensive Dice doohickey thing for the CD player hookup, so figure I could do the power outlet thing too. So $7 later and 1/2 hour of work, I have a power outlet in the top box, and a quick hook up of the radio ipod thing and I have 400 some songs to listen to. And since it is coming through the radio, I can control the volume with no issues, just can't pause the ipod. Never did this anyway when I ran it through the helmet, so no worries there either.

Can't wait to get some vacation time and actually get the thing on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:47 pm

Re: First "long" ride two up and with new music

Good for you--my wife's first ride was this spring...she loved it. Then we had a surprise by some friends who stopped by with their HD and Honda with their wives--we joined them for an ice cream run...I think my wife felt like a queen sitting back on her lazy boy... ...especially seeing how little room they had.

Keep safe and enjoying this incredible ride!

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 3:58 am

My wife is a good sport for most of my adventures but riding on the LT WITHOUT the sidecar attached, not so much. Anyone know where you can get a jacket with the armor on the sides instead of on the back? This would reduce the number of bruises and bent ribs from the incessant pummeling with the associated "you're tipping too much" comments.

My girl does not like to "tip". Not in a plane, not in a boat, not on a bike. I guess the sidecar isn't so bad. Except for in town riding, in the twisties, cruising the sweepers, .......

Sigh,

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:14 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

My wfe loves the LT also but will not ride more then 500 to 600 miles a day ,so on long trips I leave a day or two before her and she flys out to meet me.

I pull a trailer so all her cloths and gear is readl and waiting for her when she arives .

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 9:05 am
cwo

"Read a post here the other day about a cigarette lighter put into the top box for power"
---------------------------------------------
Where did you find the post???? OR how do you put the cig lighter in the top box??
post #6 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 9:59 am Thread Starter
Sit

The power outlet thingy I got was from Radio Shack, $7 and some change. It has a nice finished outlet on it that is not designed to be put into a dash, the wires on it actually have clips on them so they can be hooked to a battery. I got this one because I wanted the outlet to hang free in the top case so it would not make it hard to remove the topcase later. I just cut the clips off. The wires are about 8 inches? long. To get power to the outlet, I just tapped into the outlet for the passenger. There is a grommet behind the passenger outlet that opens into the topcase, I ran the new wires through this and using some of those little no cut splicer things, got power. To get the cord out of the case liner, just cut a small X in the liner and push the wires through, cant even see on mine where the liner is cut. Again so I can remove the topcase in the future with minimal cursing, I put insulated spade connectors between the liner and the grommet in the topcase. This way removal of the topcase is the same but before removing the liner, just disconnect the outlet and the proceed as normal.

To do this, I did have to remove the rear seat and loosen the bolts holding the topcase on in order to get to the screws that hold the face plate on that houses the passenger outlet.

The outlet takes up minimal space in the box and with the extra cord, you can actuall move it around some. I think I am going wrap mine in velcro so I can stick it in an out of the way place.
post #7 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo
"Read a post here the other day about a cigarette lighter put into the top box for power"
---------------------------------------------
Where did you find the post???? OR how do you put the cig lighter in the top box??
There's just "no limit" to the information available on the LT forum just look here

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #8 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2010, 9:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
My wife is a good sport for most of my adventures but riding on the LT WITHOUT the sidecar attached, not so much. Anyone know where you can get a jacket with the armor on the sides instead of on the back? This would reduce the number of bruises and bent ribs from the incessant pummeling with the associated "you're tipping too much" comments.

My girl does not like to "tip". Not in a plane, not in a boat, not on a bike. I guess the sidecar isn't so bad. Except for in town riding, in the twisties, cruising the sweepers, .......

Sigh,

Loren
Just have her close her eyes as each curve approaches. With her eyes closed shw won't know that you are leaned over.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in