Almost bought it today. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2010, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Almost bought it today.

I wasn't sure where to post this, moderaters, you are welcome to move it.

I don't normally post my mistakes, but this one made me think.

I rode 600 miles today in ten hours. 500 miles into the trip, I was on a two lane road, with a stop light coming up. Light was green, warning light was not flashing, traffic ahead of me was moving. I started playing with my GPS. I looked up and saw brake lights directly infront of me. I hit the binders. I was coming in fast enough that the car infront of me swerved to the right so I wouldn't hit him. I was able to stop in time, I would have missed the car infront of me even he didin't move right, but I would only have missed him by about 2 feet. The ABS did not engage, but I definately heard the tires start to squeal.

This was entirely my fault, I was not paying attention. I saw a green light and traffic moving, so thought all was fine.

Just thought I would let everyone know what can (and almost did) happen.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2010, 9:04 pm

Re: Almost bought it today.

Glad you lived to learn from your mistake. We all space out from time to time, and I am no exception.

The key is to learn from those times when you catch yourself at it (letting the mind wander), and remain diligent in keeping repeat mistakes to a minimum!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2010, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
Glad you lived to learn from your mistake. We all space out from time to time, and I am no exception.

The key is to learn from those times when you catch yourself at it (letting the mind wander), and remain diligent in keeping repeat mistakes to a minimum!

That is why I posted this. I am no stranger to long distance riding. In the last two seasons I have done 3 SS1000's and one bun burner gold. Not all have been documented, but I did them. I know when to stop when tired etc. This was just "one of those things" and thought I would share it in case others have done similar things.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #4 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2010, 9:44 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Thank's for sharing Tony: I've been riding since 1970 and had my first ever major close call a few weeks ago. I was waiting to turn left & a Ford Explorer was coming at me with the right turn signal on. The Explorer started to turn right & it was a turn that has a yield sign before they can complete the right turn. I went and started to make my left turn thinking to make sure they would yield because I now had the right of way. They decided to go straight & we almost collided head on. I thought the Explorer would roll over trying to avoid me. I learned the few seconds I was trying to save isn't worth it. At least I hope I learned.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:13 pm

Your not alone. As much as I hate to say it...Been there, done that. Just not paying attention.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #6 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:03 pm

Like Hallzee sez; 'Learn from it..........' When you suck up a little seat cover, it always pays in to a higher level of education.................That little catch phrase,'stay alert'.........sort of looses it's meaning after a while..............Glad it worked out OK and thanx for a reminder to us all.............B-Safe.............Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in