Cracked plastic repair? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:48 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Cracked plastic repair?

While changing out my plastic Quick Disconnects for Jiffy-tites on my 2001, I noticed cracks in the plastic near the right mirror attachment below the headlight adjustment knob. (see pics) Has anyone seen this before? Suggestions for a good "fix"? It's not that noticeable, but may get worse over time, so I'd like an idea on how best to repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT 01.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	27185   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT02.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	27186  

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 2nd, 2010, 7:27 pm

Re: Cracked plastic repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb550f
While changing out my plastic Quick Disconnects for Jiffy-tites on my 2001, I noticed cracks in the plastic near the right mirror attachment below the headlight adjustment knob. (see pics) Has anyone seen this before? Suggestions for a good "fix"? It's not that noticeable, but may get worse over time, so I'd like an idea on how best to repair.
No I have not seen that exact crack, but similar ones.
This one appears to be easy BUT you must take the panel off the bike, don't cheat!
It appears as if the crack will almost disappear when the stress is removed. Smooth it into place.
Clean the back with some lacquer thinner or ketone.
Rough up the back you just cleaned with some sand paper.
Get some "Marine Tex" gray or white and mix per directions. It will adhere well and is flexible.
Smooth over the inside. Cradle or clamp as needed.
Be Patient, wait over night to reassemble.
Because it is close to the mirror, you should not see the blemish.
When reassembling, try to determine where the stress was coming from and eliminate it.
Good luck.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old May 2nd, 2010, 8:20 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, sounds like good advice. Is the "Marine Tex" an epoxy compound? Is it readily avalilble at hardware or paint stores or just at Marine supply houses? Appreciate the help!

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470

post #4 of 16 Old May 2nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

Doug, I believe your mirror tab bolts are too tight, or not seated correctly, thus causing the crack where it is. You might want to check your other side for a crack there as well. When you do the repair and reinstall, dont tighten quite so much.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old May 3rd, 2010, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Thanks, sounds like good advice. Is the "Marine Tex" an epoxy compound? Is it readily avalilble at hardware or paint stores or just at Marine supply houses? Appreciate the help!
Go to any Hardware store or West Marine (Boat USA) or local Marine shop. It is a two part epoxee, resin & hardner.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 16 Old May 3rd, 2010, 6:52 pm

Garage

Quote:
My '02 has the exact same cracks, both sides. Screws are "hand tight" so not sure why it did what it did....

Let me know how the repair works out.

I've been looking for a replacement (used) dash for a while with no luck. I'll probably just spring for the $$$$$ and get a new one!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #7 of 16 Old May 4th, 2010, 12:45 am

my '05 did that.. the mechanic sed.. "don't over tighten in the plastic"..

I said.. "Tell the factory... I have not touched that one."

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 16 Old May 4th, 2010, 6:52 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the response/comments folks. I have "factory" overtightness myself I guess since I've never loosened the screws adjacent to the cracks. Now I have to research this site and figure out the easiest way to get that panel off, pick up the epoxy and go to work...

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2013, 9:16 am
ian

Im reviving this thread - to my horror found a similar crack on each side running vertically just off the mirror on the dash. Anyone else experienced this and any quick fix sugestions would be most welcome.
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2013, 9:34 am

Cool Re: Cracked plastic repair?

Don't have a quick fix but I do have the same cracks on both sides, as does my fellow LT rider up this way. Mine have been that way for years, and don't seem to be worsening any FYI.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian
Im reviving this thread - to my horror found a similar crack on each side running vertically just off the mirror on the dash. Anyone else experienced this and any quick fix sugestions would be most welcome.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #11 of 16 Old Jul 15th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Since the tupper ware needs to be stretched a hair to get it lined up and screwed down I figured they just made that piece a little bit small.

One note I have is to reinforce that area on both sides.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 16th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Hi all,

I have found similar cracks in the black plastic parts on my 2000 LT. For a quick and tidy fix, I've used BLACK RTV. Open the crack up enough to work some RTV into it, then squeeze the crack closed ( do not squeeze all the material out). Remove excess material and smooth over with a wet finger. Let it cure overnight. RTV cures very hard, matches the plastic, adheres very well and still remains flexible...unlike epoxy putty or brittle fillers.

SC
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 16th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Wink Re: Cracked plastic repair?

Wow! Now this sounds like a great and simple fix! I think I'll go out and do it tonight!

Tks for the idea,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliepup
Hi all,

I have found similar cracks in the black plastic parts on my 2000 LT. For a quick and tidy fix, I've used BLACK RTV. Open the crack up enough to work some RTV into it, then squeeze the crack closed ( do not squeeze all the material out). Remove excess material and smooth over with a wet finger. Let it cure overnight. RTV cures very hard, matches the plastic, adheres very well and still remains flexible...unlike epoxy putty or brittle fillers.

SC

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #14 of 16 Old Jul 17th, 2013, 9:15 am
ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliepup
Hi all,

SC
Thank you and the other for the responses. What exactly is RTV and is it available in various colours as my dash is light silver grey on my 2004 facelift LT.
post #15 of 16 Old Jul 17th, 2013, 9:21 am

Wink Re: Cracked plastic repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian
Thank you and the other for the responses. What exactly is RTV and is it available in various colours as my dash is light silver grey on my 2004 facelift LT.
Here ya go! And it is available in various colors, but limited.
http://www.ask.com/answers/42381501/what-is-rtv-sealant

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #16 of 16 Old Jul 17th, 2013, 1:11 pm

My 02 has the cracks on both sides. I tried used JB Weld but it wouldn't adhere to the plastic. It just peeled right off. I may try the black RTV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in