Oil leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2010, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Oil leak

Anyone want to confirm what I think I already know? I took the skid plate off (I think you can see the mounting braket in some photos) and washed the bike with degreaser and a pressure washer. I'm getting about a drop a day.
These photos are at the rear of the engine, where rumor has it, there's a clutch? I think I have some wrenching in my near future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02312.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	27182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02313.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	27183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02314.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	27184  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:05 pm

Re: Oil leak

do not take any long trips... except to your dealer..

Or, when Blaubeemer gets his process documented.... you can 'do it yourself'

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
do not take any long trips... except to your dealer..

Or, when Blaubeemer gets his process documented.... you can 'do it yourself'
Hint....Hint!

+1 to cfell.....you're bike will start to quickly give way in power with a wet clutch. Look at the parts list I ordered from Bentonville, Arkansas BMW....that'll give you a head start if you're going to do the job yourself....if not, it'll give you an idea in what you're looking at for parts (~$700) and about 12 hours of labor!

Later and good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bentonville Parts Quote Sheet1.pdf (38.1 KB, 102 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Last edited by BlauBeeMr; May 2nd, 2010 at 4:59 pm.

post #4 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2010, 6:01 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr
Hint....Hint!

+1 to cfell.....you're bike will start to quickly give way in power with a wet clutch. Look at the parts list I ordered from Bentonville, Arkansas BMW....that'll give you a head start if you're going to do the job yourself....if not, it'll give you an idea in what you're looking at for parts (~$700) and about 12 hours of labor!

Later and good luck!
Anything else needed not on that invoice? I assume that 18.58 part was needed?

I saw no slave, or slave parts on there either. You did not replace them also?

Just getting ready to finalize an order and I have been watching and looking at all the parts list that have been posted.

I assume these pats are good for a 07?

Thanks for any help.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2010, 7:19 pm

This only a suggestion. If you need a REAL clutch go to Black Hole Exhaust and buy a real clutch for about $325 and while you are there get a complete header system, muffler, fuel rail and preset pressure valve and then enjoy your ride. Rumor has it with these mods you can pull the front wheel off the ground and impress the H crowd. I did and could not be happier.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackhol...0exhausts.html
post #6 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2010, 9:01 pm

+1 on Bentonville BMW. Very nice folks - plus Shipping and handling for everything (for my clutch replace) was only $14.50.

LAF, I'm guessing that BlauBeeMr ordered his slave cylinder from Beemer Boneyard (we had talked about that); I'm pretty sure he replaced his. You can get the same one (brand new) through them, for $40-$50 cheaper.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:17 pm

Yep...Beemer Boneyard was the lifesaver. Purchased the slave cylinder and the 12/24K service kit....saved some bucks by doing that and their parts shipping was very timely. When you call Bentonville , ask to speak with Denise or Jerry in the parts department....they are truly committed to their customers. Personally, I will do all my parts business for self repair items through them from here on out!

Not sure about what works on a '99 vs an '07....I'd recommend comparing the parts list on MAX BMW's Online Parts Fische. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
+1 on Bentonville BMW. Very nice folks - plus Shipping and handling for everything (for my clutch replace) was only $14.50.

LAF, I'm guessing that BlauBeeMr ordered his slave cylinder from Beemer Boneyard (we had talked about that); I'm pretty sure he replaced his. You can get the same one (brand new) through them, for $40-$50 cheaper.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #8 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321markd
This only a suggestion. If you need a REAL clutch go to Black Hole Exhaust and buy a real clutch for about $325 and while you are there get a complete header system, muffler, fuel rail and preset pressure valve and then enjoy your ride. Rumor has it with these mods you can pull the front wheel off the ground and impress the H crowd. I did and could not be happier.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackhol...0exhausts.html

Mark, I have their site bookmarked, and been toying with the idea of using some of their products. Specifically, what's your opinion of thier clutch? Which one did you go with?
Thanks,
Frank
post #9 of 23 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Quick question: should there be a hole drilled in the area where you can see that drop of oil forming?
post #10 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Mark, I have their site bookmarked, and been toying with the idea of using some of their products. Specifically, what's your opinion of thier clutch? Which one did you go with?
Thanks,
Frank
Franck
I used the RSR Street 360 Kevlar Sprung. This next winter is tear down time and I am toying around with a complete upgrade to a RS specs and a turbo. I figure she can not fall off if I leave the seat back and the case on.
I think next summer I will throw down the gauntlet to see who has the fastest K1200lt in the world at the BUB Nationals, Rules will be stock fairing, DOT tires, Back case and back rest must be on in factory original position and a minimum 24 in windscreen height. Other wise it will be in the run what you brung catogory. I you use Ice cold water to wash the bike off it will not rust. That is how we do it in Wis.
post #11 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2010, 7:12 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks,
Frank
Most of us have come to think of this Company and it's parts as vapor parts. No one to my knowledge has run any of their LT parts.

Not even sure a Black Hole for a LT has been run let alone all the other stuff they mention.

I ran a set of their pipes on my Road Glide. Nice headers and muffler, took a VERY long time to get and their customer service and tech service leaves a whole lot to be desired.

If you get a clutch from them please post up what it looks like. I wont hold my breath for you to post it though.

While I admit I would use every bit of what they have, what they have has never been know or run by anyone I have seen posting here.

I think I would just do the OEM route and be done with it. At least that is what I am gathering parts for.

Hope you get squared away.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2010, 9:54 am Thread Starter

Lee,
Am I correct in the feeling that we're in the same boat here (up the same creek, sans paddles), that you too are getting ready to replace clutch and seals?
post #13 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:11 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Lee,
Am I correct in the feeling that we're in the same boat here (up the same creek, sans paddles), that you too are getting ready to replace clutch and seals?
No i just want the parts on the shelf.

I know it sounds insane, but I try to gather what parts fail on a LT so I have them. For me the breaking of a part is bad, but waiting on parts to fix it drives me crazy.

I hope to never need them but since it is to "Death Do Us Part" for me and the LT, It wont hurt to have them.

I wish I was closer I would come and help you out. If I was you, I would see if you can call out for a Tech Session in your neck of the woods and see if you can get some experienced people over to show you around the clutch area.

Now I did pull my drive train to drill the Slave weep hole and that was not too bad, but I think you are only about a 1/3rd of the way to getting the job done on that procedure, maybe close to half?

Again I hope you get squared away and there are plenty here who can help you if you get into a spot and need help.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #14 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2010, 3:02 pm

A little reply to LAF from the boys at RB Racing/ Black Hole

Reader <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Some people just have a lot of time on their hands.
>>
>> Like you.
>>
>> As for us we just keep making parts.
>>
>> FYI we have made more BMW parts than you can count.
>>
>> We also own 5 BMWs.
>>
>> When you have made thousands of BMW parts and over 600 BMW turbo systems get back to us.
>>
>> When you have set speed records get back to us.
>>
>> In the meantime, sit on your couch keep up the criticism.
>>
>> We keep expanding and selling more.
>>
>> Try to keep your job so you'll have time to keep up your hobby of bad mouthing people you have no relationship with.
>>
>> If you want to stop by call first and we can give you an attitude check.
post #15 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2010, 3:59 pm

Just wondering why the clutch ? Was yours soaked with oil ? Isn't there a much better one than stock ?

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #16 of 23 Old May 3rd, 2010, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Not entirely sure what you're asking. Generally speaking, when something starts to leak, like my rear main seal, or in other cases, the slave valve, or transmission, the clutch gets soaked, then fails.
In my case, my clutch hasn't failed. So if your question is related to "why I'm replacing my clutch", answer would be: might as well since I'm in there anyway. Can't see doing all that work and putting a partially worn plate, or any other part for that matter, back in.
I've always been curious as to why others haven't "upgraded" their clutch, like the one mentioned. I'll have to do some thinking now that I'm in this deep.
post #17 of 23 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:01 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yea buddy, their typical Bullshit and attitude shine through.

Well if you can find someone out of the thousands of LT owners on this Forum that have run their products then talk to me, until then, take the Blue Pill !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

>
>>
>> Like you.
>>
>>
>>
>> We also own 5 BMWs.
>>
>> When you have made thousands of BMW parts and over 600 BMW turbo systems get back to us.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Try to keep your job so you'll have time to keep up your hobby of bad mouthing people you have no relationship with.
>>

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #18 of 23 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:28 am

Marketing.....in a sinister, snide, and sarcastic way...we're obviously not worthy.
Makes me want to go right to them as a customer........chaaaaaa. Since they have such a great product and have several great things to prove as such, you'd think they'd do some R&D on their attitude and potential customer relations.

Quote:
>
>>
>> Like you.
>>
>>
>>
>> We also own 5 BMWs.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

post #19 of 23 Old May 4th, 2010, 9:41 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlauBeeMr

Marketing.....in a sinister, snide, and sarcastic way...we're obviously not worthy.
Makes me want to go right to them as a customer........chaaaaaa. Since they have such a great product and have several great things to prove as such, you'd think they'd do some R&D on their attitude and potential customer relations.
They have not changed in 10 years. Any Harley forum is just overflowing with what a group of idiots they are. I speak from a purchase experience, and while the product is nice, getting it, and getting it right is a very long and expensive Journey. I know as it was me and my money. Wrong bends, sloppy coating, long and outrageous wait times, and the most arrogant people to talk to in the world. And it is always someone else s fault, the powder coater, the supplier, blah, blah. I was never there but others have and I have been told it is total disarray, and looks like "white trash" gone bad.

Hey deal with who you want, but like I say there is over 10 years of LT wisdom here on this forum, and can anyone say they have run or used ANY of these idiots products? With the exception of 321markd who says he has the Full Monty?

Nothing in it but I know BS when I see it! Let alone spending money to experience it firsthand as I did.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #20 of 23 Old May 4th, 2010, 9:57 am Thread Starter

I e-mailed them yesterday to ask if any of their clutch materials were resistent to oil. I wondered if something like their ceramic would more or less fend off the clutch problems associated with our leaks. The sum total of response I got was "oil is not good for any clutch".
Guess that was a nice way of saying "No", ours are no better than anyone elses. I think.
Suffice it to say, I won't be asking any more questions. Buying from them is out of the question for me.
post #21 of 23 Old May 4th, 2010, 11:13 am

I checked out their site. Pretty interesting marketing tool on their home page, a prominent tab that says "Eat Sh**", with diatribe aimed at "you know who you are".

I missed that chapter in Marketing 101...

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #22 of 23 Old May 4th, 2010, 11:22 am

Quote:

>
>>
>> Like you.
>>
>>
>>
>> We also own 5 BMWs.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Are BMW parts different from any other items visible to the naked eye? Seems like if one were to count BMW parts one would just keep adding 1 to the previous number of counted parts until you eventually ran out of parts to count. Whether the number of manufactured parts is 2 or 303,572 which I would hazard a guess is on the high side they could still be counted.

I can understand not being able to physically count, say, the number of molecules in a mole of an element because the numbers are astronomically large but not the number of parts manufactured by a non-OE manufacturer.

Seems like an idle boast but could be wrong.

Just sayin.............

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #23 of 23 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Are BMW parts different from any other items visible to the naked eye? Seems like if one were to count BMW parts one would just keep adding 1 to the previous number of counted parts until you eventually ran out of parts to count. Whether the number of manufactured parts is 2 or 303,572 which I would hazard a guess is on the high side they could still be counted.

I can understand not being able to physically count, say, the number of molecules in a mole of an element because the numbers are astronomically large but not the number of parts manufactured by a non-OE manufacturer.

Seems like an idle boast but could be wrong.

Just sayin.............
You let the word "more" throw you off. Counting numbers start at 1. Therefore, since they have made 0 BMW parts you can't count the number of parts they have made.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in