What bike most compliments an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:26 am Thread Starter

What bike most compliments an LT

I ride my LT year round (apart from when there's snow) to work and back, about 60 miles a day, and as my route is mostly motorway there's no better bike for this journey.

I like the LT and plan to tour on it a little this year, but....it's definitely a cruiser, and it lets you know it's not enjoying it if you try and force the pace. First to object is the gearbox, then the engine.

I'd like to get another bike to compliment it. Something that doesn't have to be good on a motorway or in winter, but is still reasonably practicle. I like the K1300S but at the moment can't justify spending so much on a second bike. I like the Triumph Speed Tripple, but it seems so impracticle. I always seem to have BMW's (GS ADV, K100) or Japanese bikes (Hayabusa, TL1000), so I fancy something British or Italian.

The trouble is, I would also really like shaft drive and more importantly ABS. I must also be able to put a large topbox on it so I can change out of my biker gear.

Alternatively, I could get some special bike like an SP2 or a Ducati 9-something or other.

No tourers (I have one - the LT), no trail bikes (I had one - the GS).

Any suggestions out there? Esp from people who had a bike they miss and regret selling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:42 am

Re: What bike most compliments an LT

Are you saying the LT is not fast enough for you when you are touring?

That is one of the reasons I bought my LT. When I test drove it, I got on the highway and did not realize I was going 110 MPH and the engine was not even pulling hard. It will even hold the cruise control at that speed and more

2000 K1200LT (hybrid)
post #3 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:46 am

No one can tell you what you'll like, but we can share experience, so here's mine. I have 3 bikes now, the LT, a Yamaha FZ1, and a HD Softtail Deuce. Had the HD first, then the LT, and went looking for a play bike. I really thought the BMW RT would be it until I rode one. Surprised me to no end that I didn't like it at all. Bummer.
Rode a Triumph Tiger and absolutely loved it. Everything about it just fit, and it was right there in my comfort zone. Did some checking, and found that you can put on an aftermarket exhaust, which would then allow you to run the more spacious side bags of their other models.
What I ended up buying though was the FZ1. Makes no sense, does it? Well, it was that comfort zone thing. The Tiger was comfortable, but I wanted a challenge. I took an FZ1 out and it scared the crap out of me. Those suckers are fast, and corner quick. It took me about 300 miles of riding before I could scrape the pegs on it, and it was a blast. Were it not for wanting to challenge myself, I'm certain I'd have a Tiger now.
And what's really odd, is that when I want to go for a day ride, or across town, I'll always take the Harley. Can't explain it, but I really love that bike.
Guess it all boils down to what it is you want to do, and what it is that you like. I'll say this too: I really do like the Harley as a bike. What I can't stand is the Harley mentality, and thus most Harley riders - the ones in their little pirate outfits. 'nuff said.
Good luck in your search.
Frank

post #4 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:57 am

This is my baby beemer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finially home 001.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	1,014.4 KB
ID:	27177   Click image for larger version

Name:	finially home 002.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	27178  

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:02 pm

This is my other bike -

I've owned it for over 15 years, rebuilt it about 7 years ago, and it's totally reliable (and doesn't leak oil ) - its great fun for a blast round the country lanes near our village, but I don't want to ride it for much over 150 miles.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:23 pm

I've found the Ducati 748 complements my taste for riding. I can't think of any other bike that compliments either.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #7 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 2:19 pm

The smallest, lightest, fastest, most-nimble bike that speaks to you. That's the best bike to compliment the LT. Otherwise, you're going to have a lot of overlap in capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpawkee
Are you saying the LT is not fast enough for you when you are touring?
"Fast enough" is relative and/or subjective, isn't it? IMO, the LT is not always fast or quick enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpawkee
When I test drove it, I got on the highway and did not realize I was going 110 MPH and the engine was not even pulling hard. It will even hold the cruise control at that speed and more.
Just some facts. The pre-'05 LT's top speed is about 124mph. The 'newer' LT's top out at about 131mph. The cruise control will not hold a speed above 110mph ... DAMHIK.

While the LT is a (more than) capable "Luxury Touring" bike, it does not do all things well. It falls short in the twisties when you really want to do your best Valentino Rossi impression. Or when you see an opening that allows for speeds a bit higher than the LT is capable of.

I realize that riding fast is not very politically correct ... and/or we're not supposed to talk about it. But I've ridden with several guys on this forum. And many speed limits were fractured. The fact that I like riding a bit faster doesn't make me wronger. Just . . . faster.
post #8 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 2:23 pm

I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned.......ANOTHER LT......when the new one comes out!!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #9 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 2:46 pm

Triumph Rocket III roadster

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #10 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Well, some interesting stuff there.

The LT is plenty fast enough for touring, but it's certainly not fast. I've owned a Hayabusa and driven it at 170mph (on an airfield), and regularly did +150 mph on the German autobahn.

Rocket III I like, but it's another big, very heavy bike.

Triumph Tiger is a big trailie, that I've had.

FZ1 - I like, but I'd probably go for the sport litre bike instead, and what I don't like about those bikes is there's always a new one the next year - they rarely become classics.

Harley, really no. I won't say anything bad about the riders, but here they wear harley helmets, harley jackets, harley pants, harley boots and harley shirts. Oh, and harley sunglasses. They're also really keen on tassles, both on their jackets and pants and their handle bars.

As for the baby beemer in the picture - I want something different, not smaller!

That Triumph Bonneville is lovely. I even like the new one. I wouldn't mind an elderly classic if I had more time, but I don't.

The Ducati sounds good. It's looking like that or a speed tripple at the moment. Thing is, what do they look like with a top box?

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.
post #11 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 3:49 pm

I have a K1200LT and really love it for two up touring . That was the real reason for buying it. The bike that I also have is a K1200RS with Staintune exhaust, I love the bike and will never part with it. When I want to have fun, I go out on the RS. I live in the UP of Michigan and have riden the RS from home to Gillette, Wyoming to Key West, Florida. At 62 years old, I would not part with either bike. - plain and simple.
post #12 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtverbose
The Ducati sounds good. It's looking like that or a speed tripple at the moment. Thing is, what do they look like with a top box?
The LT tank bag straps onto the LT and also works on the Duc. I recently bought a tail bag for the Duc; big enough for a pair of tennis shoes, jeans, shirt, BVDs, and toiletries bag.

Happy hunting,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #13 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
The fact that I like riding a bit faster doesn't make me wronger. Just . . . faster.
- Hi Joe, good to see you back - and riding. Bad news is the Duc has gone, good news is when you make it to Europe is you've got to slum it ON the Bonnie or the LT (or IN the Merc )

Hope you, your wife and the kids are all keeping well. ATB.

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #14 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacolt
The LT tank bag straps onto the LT and also works on the Duc. I recently bought a tail bag for the Duc; big enough for a pair of tennis shoes, jeans, shirt, BVDs, and toiletries bag.

Happy hunting,
Curt
I really need hard, lock-able luggage though. I generally arrive somewhere, take off my leathers and lock them in a box, helmet padlocked to the seat, then it's like I'm a normal person again.
post #15 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:51 pm

Quote:
I really need hard, lock-able luggage though. I generally arrive somewhere, take off my leathers and lock them in a box, helmet padlocked to the seat, then it's like I'm a normal person again.
My last Duc had a bit of luggage - sold it in January - wanted the space.

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #16 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:51 pm

My other bike is a Triumph America EFI, great for short trips.

May you be in Heaven half an hour before the Devil knows your dead
post #17 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Have you considered the Ducati Hypermotard? It sure seems to get great write-ups and praise from owners.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #18 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 5:27 pm

Moto Guzzi Norge?
post #19 of 37 Old May 2nd, 2010, 7:37 pm

Used K75S with top case?
Sprint ST with top case?
Used Aprilia Futura with top case?
post #20 of 37 Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

I recently added a 1985 R80RT airhead with locking side hard bags and top box. Not very expensive and easy to work on and very protected by the fairing/shield. But I get the most compliments on the LT. Just last Sat. I heard "beautiful bike" 3 times. Nice folks up in WI.
BTW: I have yet to hear either bike compliment the other.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #21 of 37 Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:57 am

Honda's ST1300 is an awesome bike. That would defintely compliment the LT.

02 LT
post #22 of 37 Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:35 am

Garage

Sounds like to me your describing a used R1200RT. I have an 08 which I really like but I have started doing some more distant rides, two up, and I'm thinking of getting an LT.

Marvin
2003 K1200 LTC
1967 Honda SS125
1964 Honda 90
2008 R1200RT.. Sold
post #23 of 37 Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:27 am

Not having an LT, I may not be able to speak directly to your inquiry. However, my R 1200 C is (I guess) as close to a Harley as BMW has ever made. I love it around town and have put a lot of touring miles on it also (although it ain't no RT). However, for that pure "take me to another level of fun and excitment I get a tingle down my spine every time" feeling I ride the Duc 999. (I had an ST-4 but it is really in the same category as the RT). Good luck in your search. My combination of bikes suits me though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	27211  

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #24 of 37 Old May 3rd, 2010, 2:06 pm

Harley V-Rod. The Harley guys say "it's not a real harley" and most V-rodders I know and hang with don't do the hanky head and chaps thing - we wear real gear. It's fast, relatively nimble, quite an eye turner and is an absolute hoot to drive. There is a variety of bags and/or racks you can install, but my preference is to just strap a bag onto the passenger pillion for my "stuff". The '08 and above models have ABS and Brembo brakes have been on them since '06 - "so they don't stop like a Harley either"... Go ride one.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #25 of 37 Old May 3rd, 2010, 4:40 pm

I would get an additional LT. (Wait a minute, I already did. I have two LTs!)

Quote:
I ride my LT year round (apart from when there's snow) to work and back, about 60 miles a day, and as my route is mostly motorway there's no better bike for this journey.

I like the LT and plan to tour on it a little this year, but....it's definitely a cruiser, and it lets you know it's not enjoying it if you try and force the pace. First to object is the gearbox, then the engine.

I'd like to get another bike to compliment it. Something that doesn't have to be good on a motorway or in winter, but is still reasonably practicle. I like the K1300S but at the moment can't justify spending so much on a second bike. I like the Triumph Speed Tripple, but it seems so impracticle. I always seem to have BMW's (GS ADV, K100) or Japanese bikes (Hayabusa, TL1000), so I fancy something British or Italian.

The trouble is, I would also really like shaft drive and more importantly ABS. I must also be able to put a large topbox on it so I can change out of my biker gear.

Alternatively, I could get some special bike like an SP2 or a Ducati 9-something or other.

Any suggestions out there? Esp from people who had a bike they miss and regret selling.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #26 of 37 Old May 3rd, 2010, 5:32 pm

Quote:

My two cents worth, for pure sport riding the K1300S, for comfort sport riding the GT or the RT they both come with standard hard bags and shaft drive, I love my RT, only one bike now,but I`m looking hard at the 1300S for a second one, good luck with your choice
post #27 of 37 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:11 am

My 1940 Harley (see avatar) says nice things about my LT, but gets somewhat jealous when their riding times are not quite equal...

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #28 of 37 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:18 pm

My 2 cents. I think I finally have the perfect combo. I love the LT for the long runs and my 2009 HD Dyna for the Sunday afternoon jaunts. I go from gadget central to the simplest form of riding from one day to the next. Getting on the an LT is too much like preparing for a flight on a 747. I like being able to hit the start switch on the HD and just go. No distractions of any kind.

That said, I do miss my Suzuki V-strom. Based on your requirements I think the V-strom (Wee as they call them) would be a perfect fit for you. It too is as simple as it gets. It has unbelievable power for a 650 (1000 version also available) and it comes with ABS. There are all kinds of luggage systems for it, you sit straight up and it handles like a sport bike. It weighs a bit under 500 LBs and they are very reasonably priced compared to any BMW. $7,500.00 brand new and you can find them used for under 5K all day long. Service is also very easy and very inexpensive.

Take a look at one and see if it fits! Image attached.

http://suzukicycles.com/Product%20Li...gory=dualsport
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4840.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	27248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vstrom.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	27249  

Last edited by tonygret; May 4th, 2010 at 8:38 pm.
post #29 of 37 Old May 4th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Me thinks that it's time for you to go to the, "Dark Side". Try a Harley-Davidson. I'd suggest a Softail. Don't laugh! It's a different type of ride that is a great escape from the more demanding LT ride. I suggest that you, either demo or rent an H-D for a day and see if you find it pleasurable. The worst that can happen is you'll find that it's not your cup of tea. You sound as though you want a ride that isn't too technical and a whole bunch of fun, if only for the day and something that won't compete with the venerable KLT. Trust me, the Harley won't disappoint and doesn't even pretend to challenge the big BEEMER.
post #30 of 37 Old May 4th, 2010, 9:13 pm

+1 on the Triumph Rocket III..................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #31 of 37 Old May 6th, 2010, 11:56 am

Kurt,
You started this, so make sure you let us know what you decide, or at least what you're thinking.
I always find it interesting to learn what others are thinking. Bettin' others do to.
Frank
post #32 of 37 Old May 6th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Buell XB12XT - Hard Bags, V-Twin, Goes around corners, probably cheap now!

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #33 of 37 Old May 8th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
Harley V-Rod. The Harley guys say "it's not a real harley" and most V-rodders I know and hang with don't do the hanky head and chaps thing - we wear real gear. It's fast, relatively nimble, quite an eye turner and is an absolute hoot to drive. There is a variety of bags and/or racks you can install, but my preference is to just strap a bag onto the passenger pillion for my "stuff". The '08 and above models have ABS and Brembo brakes have been on them since '06 - "so they don't stop like a Harley either"... Go ride one.

Just to let you know that a few days ago I read this thread and found this post. 8 years of LT, BMW keeping its mouth shut about any LT replacement, the BMW motorrad dealer network being virtually destroyed in France (most of the BMW bike only dealerships did not get a contract renewal for whatever stupid reason), I'm now doing much less kilometers than a few years ago, I was in a mood for something completely different.

This vrod post took a few days to infiltrate my brain like a virus and this morning I got my hands on a brand new VRSCDX (Sorry BMW, I'll keep the LT for the moment, but don't count on me for more bucks if I have to buy a new bike in a car dealership)

This bike is really fun to ride after so many years of LT: even if the way to ride is completely different, the low center of gravity and about 100kgs less made things easy: the LT is a good school to move to anything else afterwards!

Got the VRSCDX in Marseille, did 200km under the rain to get home. The bike is really dirty so I won't post a picture and anyway two v-rod picture on a LT forum may be too much

What a fascinating engine after so many years of LT!

Thanks for the tip Pete!
post #34 of 37 Old May 8th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Why not from the most to the least? Try a Royal Enfield Bullet to do all those little things that are a hassle on the LT,
post #35 of 37 Old May 8th, 2010, 4:17 pm

I have 3 other street bikes FZ1, GS1100E and a KLR650 and I have to say if you are needing another bike a DL1000 or a Caponord seems to be the best choice.

I can drive my BMW LT as fast as any of the other sport bikes I have ( limited by my abilities and speed limits) The large dual purpose bikes can expand your riding opportunities. In third gear this bike has so much range. I can accelerate and that suspension! The picture below, I was only useing one hand to drive the bike. The bike has excellent handling in my opinion. I left these two bikes behind in the twisties later on when I had both hands on the grips.

Riding my other street bikes I am aware of their short comings. On a dirt road in the mountains Is the only riding my LT can't stack up against a DL1000 or a Caponord.
The LT pictured was not suited for this type of roads.

Ian

2003 K1200LT
Aprilia Caponord

Last edited by coug66; May 8th, 2010 at 4:47 pm.
post #36 of 37 Old May 9th, 2010, 2:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Kurt,
You started this, so make sure you let us know what you decide, or at least what you're thinking.
I always find it interesting to learn what others are thinking. Bettin' others do to.
Frank
Well, I think I have made a decision. Firstly, thanks for all your suggestions. I must say though, I'm not getting any of the touring bikes suggested as I want something different. I also don't want a trail bike as I just had one. I quite like the VRod and really like the K1300R/S but they're both more money than I can justify spending on a second bike.

I've come to the decision based more on wanting something different than I've had before rather than on any specific requirements. I've never had a triple, I've never had a British bike, and I've never had a cafe racer - so I think I'll get a Triumph Speed Triple. It's light, very fast, sounds great - the opposite to the LT.

However, I think I might wait till early winter to buy one and get it in the UK as they're substantially cheaper there now. I might also get a shagged one and spend some time over the winter replacing the chain/shocks/brakes with some high end stuff, then I'll get the bike in the spec I want. Re the top box, I think I'll put it over the passenger seat as I can't imagine taking a passenger on it, then I won't loose the short end look. I'll just fabricate a bracket for it.
post #37 of 37 Old May 9th, 2010, 2:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Re the top box, I think I'll put it over the passenger seat as I can't imagine taking a passenger on it, then I won't loose the short end look. I'll just fabricate a bracket for it.
Something like this, but considerably less lame: -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in