Panel removal question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 1st, 2010, 11:47 pm Thread Starter
CMV

Panel removal question

Dropped bike over on right side taking off side stand. Eventually I'll quit tipping this thing <sigh>.

Anyway, it was next to my ATV trailer & the latch at the tongue was pointed straight up & poked a hole in the bike. It is on the body piece directly under the seats, in front of the side luggage bin. The chrome piece that has the passenger foot peg attaches to this panel.

The chrome piece that the foot peg attaches to came off by simply removing 3 bolts. I tried to just repair the panel on the bike & it came out OK except the paint. I'll need to have it off the bike for better results.

What's the simplest way to get just that one panel off? I don't want to start just yanking stuff that isn't necessary to remove this one piece.

Also, are Color Rite's paints decent? I bought a small jar & the color match is fairly good, but just a little darker than the rest of the bike (impala brown). I haven't clear coated yet so that might be why there is still a noticeable variation. Anyway, i'm planning to order their aerosol can & clear coat & just do the whole panel. That way even if it isn't a perfect match, it won't be noticeable.

Luckily, the hole that I poked in it was clean & very easy to patch. The patch job turned out better than I expected on a curved surface. After it was primed, it looked perfect. Now I just have to sand down my crummy on-the-bike paint job & do it right. Figured it was small enough that I could get away with being lazy - & I probably could - but the bike looks so good overall for being a 2003 I don't want even a slightly boogered area.

2003 K1200LT

Last edited by CMV; May 1st, 2010 at 11:58 pm. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 1st, 2010, 11:54 pm Thread Starter
CMV

Re: Panel removal question

This is the panel I need to take off. The dot is appx where the hole was.

2003 K1200LT
post #3 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2010, 1:26 am

That's commonly referred to as "Tupperware".

This link tells you how to remove it
http://www.snafu.org/pics/k12lt/print.html

Now.. you only need remove the "stingray" and right bow panel... then you'll have access to the panel..

You could try loosening screws and prying it out, but if it's already damage, you might foul it worse.

You must open the right pannier (saddlebag) and remove screws along front of the pannier holding the panel... there are screws at the top which reveal an additional screw if memory is serving me well tonight..

I have a huge "tupperware party" file which has more detail than the above link..

klik http://www.bmwlt.com/files/albums/us...arty_files.zip

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2010, 2:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
That's commonly referred to as "Tupperware".

This link tells you how to remove it
http://www.snafu.org/pics/k12lt/print.html

Now.. you only need remove the "stingray" and right bow panel... then you'll have access to the panel..

You could try loosening screws and prying it out, but if it's already damage, you might foul it worse.

You must open the right pannier (saddlebag) and remove screws along front of the pannier holding the panel... there are screws at the top which reveal an additional screw if memory is serving me well tonight..

I have a huge "tupperware party" file which has more detail than the above link..

klik http://www.bmwlt.com/files/albums/us...arty_files.zip
You DON'T have to remove the stingray... you DO have to remove the main side panel in front of the one you want access to, the turn signal on it, the bumper bar cover below it, the adjustable wing below the mirror and the passenger foot rest plate.
Hope this helps.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2010, 6:29 am

Took mine to CompuTrak for some rear shock work and they removed that very piece you speak of by removing the screws on the right side panel at the top (behind the stingray), and the one directly below the seat and the few around the driver's footpeg chrome. Then, using the angled torx wrench (key) that was in my tool kit they removed the screw on the front of the piece you want off. You'll then need to remove the screw at the top rear of that cover (I find it easier if I remove the screw just above it on the black trim piece) and open the pannier and remove the screw hidden at the bottom there. Now all you need to do is hold the grommet still while you pull the pin out of the front and you should be able to slide this piece off without removing the whole side. I actually witnessed this so I know it is possible. You just need to be patient and don't get in a hurry.

BTW, very nice looking bike too.
post #6 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2010, 9:14 am

Hello CMV

I also used Color Rite spray can touch up paint , the paint color turned out pretty good , I sent them a sample to match . But the clear coat after about one year turned very yellow .
I will have to repaint and use another clear coat .

Bob G
post #7 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2010, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
Took mine to CompuTrak for some rear shock work and they removed that very piece you speak of by removing the screws on the right side panel at the top (behind the stingray), and the one directly below the seat and the few around the driver's footpeg chrome. Then, using the angled torx wrench (key) that was in my tool kit they removed the screw on the front of the piece you want off. You'll then need to remove the screw at the top rear of that cover (I find it easier if I remove the screw just above it on the black trim piece) and open the pannier and remove the screw hidden at the bottom there. Now all you need to do is hold the grommet still while you pull the pin out of the front and you should be able to slide this piece off without removing the whole side. I actually witnessed this so I know it is possible. You just need to be patient and don't get in a hurry.

BTW, very nice looking bike too.
I would agree. I've just never had to remove ONLY that rear piece.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #8 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2010, 4:15 pm

I agree with Jason..

you "can" remove ONLY that piece..

However, in light of the fact you made some repairs, I do not know how much flexing the panel can tolerate...

..ergo, my recommendation to pull the tupperware...

YMMV.. best wishes..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in