How BMWLT helped me overcome some of my fear. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 1st, 2010, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up How BMWLT helped me overcome some of my fear.

Since I brought Emil (2000 LT) home in Feb 06, I have wanted to do some upgrades but have always been in fear of tearing too far into the Tupperware. I did get somewhat comfortable with taking off the side pieces and even ventured into removing the Stingray and tank, but found that lining up those four $%&*#@& screws on the Stingray was a bear; at least for me. For some time now I've wanted to do the speedo fix, install my TPX into the comm system and install the RCU shelf that's been sitting on my shelf for a year. I should point out that I've got no problem tearing into the RT and doing clutch work and spline lubes and anything else that comes along; but for some reason the LT has always been intimidating. Perhaps it's because it has more spark plugs on it than I can count on one hand, or perhaps my dad hit me once with a Tupperware lid, or maybe my mom mixed my baby formula wrong. I don't know, but the LT has always had the upper hand on my psyche. That is until now.

Just a few short weeks ago I was getting off the interstate and the front brakes faded and FAST. I was just a mile from the local dealer so I rode it cautiously over there and talked with the service manager. He seemed to think that I had a brake line that was about to fail and it was "ballooning" on me. So in other words, I was having a brake line aneurism. While there I ordered a set of Speigler SS to put on it and rode it cautiously back home. (The brakes worked, just not "right".) So while waiting for the brake lines to come in I started reading the HOW here on this forum and also reading as many relevant posts as I could find on shelf install, wiring cool things up to the BC3, and the speedo fix.

With the help of this forum, and especially the help and patience of our member shoswell (Thanks Steve!) I was ready to tackle this daunting task. To cut to the chase, I removed ALL the Tupperware from the panniers forward and started chasing brake lines and wiring harnesses. I removed the dash, front clip and instrument panel. Following the careful and well documented process on this forum I soldered the two wires to the speedo printed circuit and reinstalled the speedo. Then came moving the GPS wiring to the dash through a hole drilled to the left of the map light. Then came the TPX wiring up from the left handlebar cover to be spliced into the AAWD harness. I was going to put the aux input harness in I bought for the 5 series car, but it didn't make it back in time so that'll wait until the next major service. Next came the brake lines and while I did have a couple of stubborn banjo bolts, that process went reasonably smooth as well; although I had no idea I'd have to remove the rear shock to get to the rear brake line, but I did. Finally, I fixed the steering damper that was giving me problems as well. The ball had pulled out of the heim joint and I had a rather rough time getting the outer race out of the fork brace. I tried heat and pressing it out with a C-clamp, but all I did was push out a brass race that holds the ball in place. So, a rotary file and drill motor took care of the old outer race and I was able to knock it out of the fork brace. The new heim joint was pressed in place with the help of a socket and C-clamp and in short order I was back in business. Word of warning here: The dealer's microfiche doesn't show it, but there is a black foam washer that has to go between the fork brace and the steering damper. I first installed it without it, but the damper wears on the fork brace if you do it the way the dealer told me. The parts diagram doesn't call for it, but the foam washer is the same one that goes on the frame side of the damper. Order one, and you'll be set.

The moral of the story is this: I took my time, paid attention to what I was doing and everything came apart and reassembled just fine. No major snafus other than those four dang Stingray screws.

Took the wife for a ride yesterday and everything, and I do mean everything, worked as advertised. The speedo is now withing 1 mph of the GPS speed, the GPS and TPX work just as planned and the brakes are unbelievably good. I haven't enjoyed riding the LT this much in a couple of years. My hard work, with the help of this forum, paid off in spades. So that's a big fear now gone out of my life. Now if I could just get over my fear of clowns, puppies and kittens...

Last edited by pushin9s; May 1st, 2010 at 9:53 pm. Reason: text format
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 1st, 2010, 9:46 pm
cws

Garage
Re: How BMWLT helped me overcome some of my fear.

its posts like this that make me think I can always push a little further into it... congrats!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 6 Old May 1st, 2010, 11:42 pm

Way to go!

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #4 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2010, 8:40 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all started out with that trepidation and fear of the LT skirts. This forum cured me of that. I am a novice for sure, but I am not scared to try.

So nice to do your own work. No one can or will pay attention to details like yourself.

Keep riding....................

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2010, 9:47 am

Good for you!
There is information on the site that the dealers have no knowledge of and look at you cross-eyed when telling them!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 6 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:07 am

I am feeling a little verklempt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in