Alpine Radio Installation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old May 1st, 2010, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Alpine Radio Installation

After riding for the last year with one speaker working and getting ready to take a long distance ride, I decided to go ahead with my radio replacement project. I spent alot of time researching the forums for information and spent alot of time in the stores searching for the perfect radio. For my needs the perfect radio was the Alpine Marine CD/MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver - CDA-9886M. Cost ranges from as low as $150 to $450 depending on where you shop. I found the best place was in a local flea market at one of those flea markets that sells everything from socks to the latest in baggy jeans and bling. I also picked up my Sirrus transmitter there also ($99). After sitting around for a day or two figuring out exactly I wanted to do, the dance was on. After removing both sides of the tupperware, windshield and unbolting the from headlight plastic, the installation took place. I mounted the Sirrius boxes on the read of the speedo console, and mounted the Sirruis Antenna on the metal crossbar on top of the frame.

Running all the sirruis wiring was easy cause it all was able to run under the dash back to the stringray area. Now the fun part.

I decided to remove the CD and everything attached to it. This left some additional intercom wiring. I removed it and was ready figure out the wiring for the new radio. Now I could have purcashed the BMW M3 radio harness which might have given me existing handlebar controls, but I doubted it, so after figuring out the speaker connections, it took me a few additional mintues to figure out the power connections. After testing the connections and sound quality for a hour I started finally hookup. I pulled my old DICE system from the rear saddlebag and attached my IPod, thus elimating even more wires. After installing the new radio I took my tank bag and modified it to hold the Radio Remote Control. (See Pics) Well it's been two weeks and she works like a charm.

I've tried to upload pictures here but they appear to be to large so I will try to upload them to the file area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 K1200 LT Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 K1200 LT Black
BMWMOA Number: 137587
Shawn Rolison
Atlanta, Georgia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in