ERC on an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 1st, 2010, 8:36 am Thread Starter

ERC on an LT

I took the ERC yesterday due to requirements at work. There were 12 bikes in the class, eight were harleys, 5 of those were full dressers. Then there was my LT, an FJR, a ninja and a metric cruiser.

Let me start by saying that the ERC can be done on an LT. It handled great, and I was able to perform all the exercises fine. I was even able to do the box with no issues. I will say that I do own the "Ride like a Pro" video, and have practiced some.

The harley guys seemed to have some issues with the tight turns, but they were able to get through them by the end of the day. Everyone passed, some with a little more help from the instructors. The key is just what they tell you it is, look where you want to go.

Myself and the guy on the FJR seemed to have the easiest time of it.

Only one person dropped their bike, it was one of the full dressers, and it was while lining up for one of the exercises, not during an actual exercise.

If you have issues with the low speed handling of the LT, I would highly reccommend taking the ERC, you will get over any issues you have with parking lot speeds on this bike. By the end the day, I was very confident in my low speed skills, and was even able to do a U turn out of my normal parking spot at work instead of the usual three pouint turn!!

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 1st, 2010, 9:03 am

Re: ERC on an LT

Congrats, Tony - glad you did the class and passed. I think anyone who finishes an ERC course benefits in some fashion - even seasoned riders.

Twice during the '00-'09 years, several of us in the South Central region have arranged an all-LT ERC class, taught by an excellent rider/coach. What a hoot to see a dozen or so LTs running patterns and cone layouts. Time to do it agin!!

Thanks for sharing, Tony.
post #3 of 9 Old May 1st, 2010, 9:17 am

Awesome................I could do the same here in the north Florida area, if any 12 LTers are interested. It would be an easy event to put on if there were interested parties. I am a RiderCoach and am good friends that I work for. I have taken the ERC course too and I am a strong believer in continuing training on a motorcycle. As much as you can.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)

post #4 of 9 Old May 1st, 2010, 9:45 am

We did one in Dallas a few years ago. IIRC there were 10 or 11 LT's, a Yamaha full dress and a Triumph.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #5 of 9 Old May 1st, 2010, 11:24 am

Nice work!

Ride safe,
Curt

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #6 of 9 Old May 1st, 2010, 5:23 pm

What's ERC? I know it's a riders course, but what's the E? I googled it, and came up with stuff like Elenore Roosevelt College, European Recourse Council, etc.

Did you run it with the trunk on? Did an Advanced Riders Course, but used my FZ1. Thinking that I would run it again if I can get my daughter to go, and that I'd use the LT, but thought I'd pull the trunk first.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by fpmlt; May 1st, 2010 at 9:07 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old May 1st, 2010, 7:22 pm

Experienced Rider Course. And I forgot to mention that we have had two-up course attendees who benefitted from the various aspects that were taught.
post #8 of 9 Old May 1st, 2010, 9:06 pm

Tony;

You take the ERC two-up??? It's a challenge... The go-fast riders thot me and the missus were nutz... But we showed 'em how it's done... If you can do ERC two-up, DO IT! It's a helluva edumacation...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #9 of 9 Old May 1st, 2010, 9:49 pm
jsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Congrats, Tony - glad you did the class and passed. I think anyone who finishes an ERC course benefits in some fashion - even seasoned riders.

Twice during the '00-'09 years, several of us in the South Central region have arranged an all-LT ERC class, taught by an excellent rider/coach. What a hoot to see a dozen or so LTs running patterns and cone layouts. Time to do it agin!!

Thanks for sharing, Tony.
I would definitely ride down for an all-LT ERC class. I'm still a little shaky in the slow speed stuff, but have been improving steadily. Count me in if you do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in